Sponsored

Is this a typo? 6.8L for F150 and Mustang in 2022?

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tinfoil time...

Oh, it is. That's why I wonder if the GT will be a hybrid while the base will still be a 2.3L. There's rumors that AWD could be coming to the Mustang. The GT could take on the role as the more luxury tourer with electric motors powering the front wheels with a 3.0L ecoboost as the main motor. The V8 would still be available, just locked to the GT500. It's no secret that Ford is getting the masses used to the idea of an electric mustang. They've already done a GT500 and Cobra Jet electric prototype. So that's why I'm afraid V8s will be more exclusive in the future while most get used to hybrids and electric.

That's why Ford needs such powerful V8s, to set them apart from the electric/hybrid models.
Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

not happening the only thing Ford Performance is doing is providing the crate engine for the 7.3 because well there are already ways to put it in a mustang circa pre S197

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That's assuming that a manufacturer is allergic to price increases which they proven they aren't. haha

I dunno, I struggle to see the V8s place in the coming decade. We've got looming regulation deadlines coming, so I think we're seeing car makers move the V8 upmarket to keep it viable. I just can't see Ford keeping a heavier v8 in their bread-and-butter GT model and somehow keeping up with fuel economy standards. If you can shift the V8 to halo models and then increase fuel economy on the lower models, then that allows Ford to still have their cake and eat it too.

Of course, the trade-off for the customer is that they'll get a faster car and they'll start to not care about the manual or the V8 sound. If Ford made the Mustang GT with AWD and hybrid power, it'll be probably be much faster off the line than any V8 Mustang before it. The Hybrid motors count toward fuel efficiency and it gives a boost to Ford's numbers.

So yes, the price will increase, but Ford will argue, "hey, we gave you an entry level 4 pot which is quite fast. For the mustang to continue to exist, we have to shift our focus. If you want the v8, feel free to order a GT500".

OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No doubt, and Ford going backwards (pushrods, for example) on the V8 tech is really telling. The whole modular DOHC revolution came about because they needed to squeeze more power and fuel efficiency out of the V8. But maybe with computers, smart automatics, and better technology (cylinder deactivation), they can afford to make these big v8s again.

But I think there has to be a tradeoff somewhere. It's almost too good to be true, right? A big block push rod motor coming back from the factory in an age of hyper efficiency and electrification? Maybe Ford is thinking electrifying most of their fleet is the ticket and the v8 will stay in lower trim Mustangs and F150s. I guess I'm skeptical and would love to be proven wrong. Let people buy electric crossovers en mass so we can keep our toys. :) But I'm also afraid that my theory is right and v8s will REALLY be toys while most of the budget hot rodders will have to get used to boost and hybrids (which I'm also not opposed to).

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could they mean bringing back the 5.8 Windsor???? oooh... now let's get it in the Bronco and I'm there!!!
The 5.8 in my Bronco is a dog. Factory rated at like 200 ish HP, which is not ideal for pushing 33s with 3.55 gears. But, yeah, a modern 5.8 would be sick.

Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 5.8 in my Bronco is a dog. Factory rated at like 200 ish HP, which is not ideal for pushing 33s with 3.55 gears. But, yeah, a modern 5.8 would be sick.
Wow, that's kinda crazy you say that. I had a 5.8 in my '84 and my '94. Both had great acceleration even with the 35's I ran. Granted not like my Mustang. Maybe I just have a heavy foot. And I was able to tow a 22' boat with them as well ?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's happened before with these union deal press leaks. They can sometimes bury agreements about upcoming products. Not much Ford can do about it to keep it secret. 2022 is close enough probably to not be a major trade secret, I would guess.

It's interesting to think about swap ideas in the future. I know the Godzilla Bronco is coming...someone is crazy enough to try it. :LOL:
that is how the Bronco got leaked sort of. Also how we got some leaks about the bronco design before the reveal, such as the swinggate.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the motor is rumored to be a destroked 7.3 liter pushrod V8 coming in at 6.8L with approx 600hp naturally aspirated. smaller footprint but more weight than the coyote 5.0 in current trim, by about 30-40 lbs.

personally, I want to see it come it at 7.03 liters (convert that to ci) and throw it into the mustang.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Disclaimer: Any real or perceived "good news" coming from Ford Motor Company shall henceforth be considered a typo. Trust us.
Ford Bronco Is this a typo? 6.8L for F150 and Mustang in 2022? giphy

Last edited:

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
RedRiverRev

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hope this is true and it's not for just super duties, but for the Mustang and F150. Maybe this for the redesign of the Mustang. Isn't the Mustang supposed to get bigger to be similar in size to the Challenger?

"Engine plants in Windsor, Ontario, also will get a new 6.8-liter engine. Dias says the deal includes assembly of batteries for the new electric vehicles."

Article: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/22/ford-unifor-electric-cars-ontario/
Yes, my understanding is the Mustang is going to grow. Of course, I made that argument on Reddit and got down voted like crazy. But the Mustang does have room to grow on the C6 platform. If they do add AWD, I can't see it staying the same size or smaller. Plus it's advantageous to Ford because they could make a sedan version and compete with the M3/M4. There's also been talks about Lincoln getting a version of this.

As a former Mustang owner, it pains me to write such things, but we live in a world where Ford attached the Mustang name to an electric crossover...so these are crazy times. lol

musclecarsandtrucks.com said:
The next-gen Mustang is rumored to be moving to the same RWD architecture that underpins the Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator, as the company looks to cut costs on their lone passenger car moving forward. This change will most likely make the S650 Mustang look a bit larger than we’ve become accustomed to.
Sponsored