Sponsored

Is this a weird question? 2 Door Sasquatch vs. Non Sasquatch Rollover?

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello,

Bronco will be my first higher riding SUV or off road vehicle. Is there any issue with rollover on the highway? 2 Door Sasquatch vs. non Sasquatch?

Not that I’m going to be going 100mph or anything. Just wondering.
Sponsored

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rollover is always possible in any vehicle, but to allay your fears somewhat: the CG (center of gravity) is much lower than you would expect. On a Jeep the CG is colocated with top mounting bolt on the transmission bell housing which is below your rear end. Of course the opportunity for rollover is increased when cornering at speed in a vehicle with a higher CG but in normal driving (and even in normal wheeling) the opportunity for a rollover is much less than what you might imagine. The more time you spend off camber the more comfortable yet get with it.

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rollover is always possible in any vehicle, but to allay your fears somewhat: the CG (center of gravity) is much lower than you would expect. On a Jeep the CG is colocated with top mounting bolt on the transmission bell housing which is below your rear end. Of course the opportunity for rollover is increased when cornering at speed in a vehicle with a higher CG but in normal driving (and even in normal wheeling) the opportunity for a rollover is much less than what you might imagine. The more time you spend off camber the more comfortable yet get with it.
A lot of technical in there, but I do understand. Thank you.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The Sasquatch will only be 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch taller, that is not a significant amount to raise the CG. Fords lawyers would not let them open themselves to unnecessary rollover lawsuits, you should be fine if that's what you want.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Sasquatch will only be 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch taller, that is not a significant amount to raise the CG. Fords lawyers would not let them open themselves to unnecessary rollover lawsuits, you should be fine if that's what you want.
I'm not a vehicle or math expert but I wonder if the CG is actually lower on Sasquatches with the added weight of tires and mechanicals.

Steamroller72

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Sport Quad Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No drifting!

OP
OP
mlcinema

mlcinema

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Makes since.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm not a vehicle or math expert but I wonder if the CG is actually lower on Sasquatches with the added weight of tires and mechanicals.
Excellent point, I think your onto something. The Sasquatch may have 5-10 lbs additional suspension weight and 10-20 lbs additional tire weight per corner.

This additional 60-120 lbs carried very low as far as CG goes should offset the additional tire height so the rollover risk maybe very similar between the two.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The higher the center of gravity, the greater the risk. Increased track width helps, but everything will flip given the right circumstances.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A higher riding vehicle will roll much easier than a low vehicle. Think sports cars and the dynamics of lift.

However, from the factory, even the Squatch isn't riding too high for the purpose of not selling the Bronco unsafe out of the door. Now, saying that, if you then mod your Bronco to ride higher, then you're taking some risk.

Think most of the danger on the highway will come with the mud terrain tires when driving at speed and need to perform an emergency maneuver. The Bronco will certainly not perform as well as my 440i on 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Summer rubber on an M Sport adaptive suspension, but I wouldn't expect the Bronco to perform as well. Thus, I will not drive my Bronco in the manner which I drive my BMW 4 Series. Not even in the manner which I drive my wife's X3 40M with a similar performance suspension and tire set up.

Bronco is an off road vehicle on Squatch, it really is, so drive it in the nature of the vehicle and you'll be safe. This means drive slowly or just slower than you would your car or pickup truck that rides on regular touring tires. MTs are a different beast on the highway, as they are loud, and wandery so respect it and live to tell the tale.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A higher riding vehicle will roll much easier than a low vehicle. Think sports cars and the dynamics of lift.

However, from the factory, even the Squatch isn't riding too high for the purpose of not selling the Bronco unsafe out of the door. Now, saying that, if you then mod your Bronco to ride higher, then you're taking some risk.

Think most of the danger on the highway will come with the mud terrain tires when driving at speed and need to perform an emergency maneuver. The Bronco will certainly not perform as well as my 440i on 19" Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Summer rubber on an M Sport adaptive suspension, but I wouldn't expect the Bronco to perform as well. Thus, I will not drive my Bronco in the manner which I drive my BMW 4 Series. Not even in the manner which I drive my wife's X3 40M with a similar performance suspension and tire set up.

Bronco is an off road vehicle on Squatch, it really is, so drive it in the nature of the vehicle and you'll be safe. This means drive slowly or just slower than you would your car or pickup truck that rides on regular touring tires. MTs are a different beast on the highway, as they are loud, and wandery so respect it and live to tell the tale.
bust_tilt_testing.jpg

AstonishingCostlyCamel-size_restricted.gif

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)