Sponsored

Is this partly why the Manual is not available for the 2.7L Engine?

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Torque and price. There's your short answer. It would be drastically more expensive (engineering and materials) to produce a transmission to handle the higher torque output yet have that numb modern feel of an auto.

To make a modern transmission as smooth and unobtrusive as they can, and avoid high wear components such as clutches that slip all day but don't burn out, the price goes up. If the clutch has ANY notchiness or rough engagement then people complain via keyboard and shit-can the "feel".

It's not as if they're going to go back and put a fluid-filled torque converter in there the way god intended in the 1960's.

Frankly, i'd pay an upcharge to have a proper manual on the 2.7, but i'm also happy to get a manual on the 2.3 without charge. That motor is stout and solid. Have driven about 3k miles with a 2019 Ranger and the only let-down on that truck is the 10-speed auto. But i'm not delusional to assume the manual paired with the 2.3 is going to be as smooth and sweet as the gearbox on a Honda S2000. Just hoping it's a bit more forgiving than the stage 3 transmission and clutch from the Evo 9 that I daily drove for a few years.
I have used the M-22 rock crusher on a few high HP-built Chevy engines with no issues. I wonder if Ford had a variant? Although I have owned a handful of Fords in the past I never had a manual one. Yeah, I know the M-22 is an older transmission. Just saying...
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have used the M-22 rock crusher on a few high HP-built Chevy engines with no issues. I wonder if Ford had a variant? Although I have owned a handful of Fords in the past I never had a manual one. Yeah, I know the M-22 is an older transmission. Just saying...
Nothing wrong with the M22!!! A stout "Muscle Car" era transmission. Drastically better than the POS cruise-o-matic in my T-bird. That thing even smells speeds over 60 mph and it prepares to achieve critical mass with your credit card.

Ford had the C4 and C6 (what I wouldn't give to not have to fabricate new linkages, steering column and tranny braces to run a C4!) C6 was the Ford equivalent to the M22. Better RPM handling, another gear (in some applications, or overdrive) compared to M22, but heavy as all sin, larger, and more expensive to repair if you actually bested it's robust build.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just hoping it's a bit more forgiving than the stage 3 transmission and clutch from the Evo 9 that I daily drove for a few years.
I was always going in and reinforcing the clutch pedal pivot that would bend due to my aftermarket clutches on my DSMs. I am no longer interested in the left leg press routine!

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The aftermarket will soon have Barra swap kits and transmissions that can handle them, maybe a Gojira/Manual kit as well

Be patient, young grasshoppers, the bronco's not even in production yet and the aftermarket is listening

Bowzer6G

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love to see a barra bronco! I'm also ready to see what the aftermarket has in store for transmission/engine tuning.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The main reason is that nobody would actually buy it

It costs money to certify a trans/engine combo and it's not cheap.

People on forums love to whine about manual transmission dying, but not enough of them open their wallets and buy new vehicles.

I've only owned manual vehicles but man, it's over. Automatics are good now. Unless I'm at the Porsche store I'll take the slushbox next time
Exactly, very, very few people buy them. There is little financial pay off to develop them.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd put my money where my mouth is and buy a 2.7 manual
I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of the manual buyers would prefer the 2.7L if they had to choose only one engine.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of the manual buyers would prefer the 2.7L if they had to choose only one engine.
For Ford though, that’s not the question, it is undoubtedly easier for them to manufacture the manual 2.3 than the 2.7, so the question becomes how many people will refuse to buy the Bronco at all due to the 2.7 manual not being available (as opposed to those who will still buy a 2.3 manual or an auto), and whether that amount of lost revenue is greater than the cost of developing, tooling up for, and certifying the new configuration with a likely generous safety margin.

I highly doubt that equation even comes remotely close to being in favor of a manual 2.7.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For Ford though, that’s not the question, it is undoubtedly easier for them to manufacture the manual 2.3 than the 2.7, so the question becomes how many people will refuse to buy the Bronco at all due to the 2.7 manual not being available (as opposed to those who will still buy a 2.3 manual or an auto), and whether that amount of lost revenue is greater than the cost of developing, tooling up for, and certifying the new configuration with a likely generous safety margin.

I highly doubt that equation even comes remotely close to being in favor of a manual 2.7.
I'm one of those people who are in the 2.7L w/MT or I'll buy something other than a Bronco that offers it.

AND BEFORE someone states that the 2.3L is more than enough, well... for You, yes, but for me NO! It's also D.I. only, which is a fuel system configuration that I Will Not Buy.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nothing wrong with the M22!!! A stout "Muscle Car" era transmission. Drastically better than the POS cruise-o-matic in my T-bird. That thing even smells speeds over 60 mph and it prepares to achieve critical mass with your credit card.

Ford had the C4 and C6 (what I wouldn't give to not have to fabricate new linkages, steering column and tranny braces to run a C4!) C6 was the Ford equivalent to the M22. Better RPM handling, another gear (in some applications, or overdrive) compared to M22, but heavy as all sin, larger, and more expensive to repair if you actually bested it's robust build.
Not on my bird. Even with a 430, that trans is fine @ 90. I grew up in a 60 bird (17 years in that car, until we got that POS Granada) that was well over 60 mph's, 1000's of times, even with mom driving. Trans was fine when parked in my parents garage sometime in late 80's.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And many would pay big to get that combo if they had too. It's an enthusiast thing, and we pay huge money for something that on the surface to most, is not worth it. Not going auto on my street EB until I just can drive stick anymore (if/when).....

That said, I'm an auto guy for a built crawling rig, as rock crawling a manual sucks. I roll here with a manual trans......

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/Northumberland OHV Park/10 DEC 2011/VID_20111210_112918.mp4

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Since the 2.7 has never been paired with a manual, the more direct route for Ford to offer a V6-manual combo would be to go with the 3.7/Getrag MT82-D4 combo as was used in the Mustang.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How about Ford giving us the 300 Straight 6 engine with a non-Chinese 7 spd manual? I will take less HP and TQ for its straight-forward construction and reliability. Just saying.

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
How about Ford giving us the 300 Straight 6 engine with a non-Chinese 7 spd manual? I will take less HP and TQ for its straight-forward construction and reliability. Just saying.
Nope. Length is too much for the engine bay.
or, sarcasm?
Sponsored