Sponsored

Is this partly why the Manual is not available for the 2.7L Engine?

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nope. Length is too much for the engine bay.
or, sarcasm?
You are probably right, just like the Coyote engine being too wide.
Sponsored

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't say for sure if everyone driving automatics is a U.S. only thing, but most of the other places in the world seem to drive manual. I specifically remember the bus ride from the port at Civitaveccia to Rome and being in tons of traffic. Absolutely everything was stick, from beater Fiats to clean Mercedes S550s to the bus I was riding in. It was similar in France too.

What is it about the U.S. that everyone drives auto more and more?

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't say for sure if everyone driving automatics is a U.S. only thing, but most of the other places in the world seem to drive manual. I specifically remember the bus ride from the port at Civitaveccia to Rome and being in tons of traffic. Absolutely everything was stick, from beater Fiats to clean Mercedes S550s to the bus I was riding in. It was similar in France too.

I have traveled to Europe no less than 4-5 dozen times. To caveat, I always rent manual transmission cars in Europe... Why? Europeans know Americans will pay double the rental cost for an automatic.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Subaru is a manual, and does the rev hang. It is annoying but didn't stop them from offering the manual.
Only way they make the STI is with a manual. It's not a new thing for Subaru.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And many would pay big to get that combo if they had too. It's an enthusiast thing, and we pay huge money for something that on the surface to most, is not worth it. Not going auto on my street EB until I just can drive stick anymore (if/when).....

That said, I'm an auto guy for a built crawling rig, as rock crawling a manual sucks. I roll here with a manual trans......

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/Northumberland OHV Park/10 DEC 2011/VID_20111210_112918.mp4
I’m sure the people who really want that combo would pay for it, but realize, the 2.7 has never been offered with a manual, so Ford has non-insignificant engineering and manufacturing changes to make to the engine, and would need to design a separate manual transmission housing in addition to a stronger transmission, then there are certification costs to make it a legal OEM configuration.

While they may be missing out on a possible extra revenue for people who would pay extra for that package, the likelihood of enough people paying extra for that to cover the costs is not likely. You would probably be looking at post update Sasquatch package price for it.

On the other hand, by doing the 2.3 which is already offered as a manual in the mustang (which I hear will be changing to a 2wd variant of the Bronco’s manual next gen) it keeps design, manufacturing and certification costs down, and the vast majority of manual die hards who want the Bronco will accept the manual 2.3 given no other choice (especially with mansquatch coming for my22).

It sucks, but unfortunately there just isn’t a business case for a manual 2.7, because not enough people buy manuals anymore, and those that still do are usually willing to compromise to get the manual at all.

Sponsored

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What didn’t you like about the 10-speed?
I think the main reason is cost to develop the product and then lack of interest in the consumer. Yes, there are a niche of people that want a manual transmission, but the overwhelming preference is the automatic. So likely the cost to produce it isn't worth the amount they would actually sell. Its sad people are willing to pay more for an automatic.
I would pay more for the 2.7 engine with the manual transmission. You listening Ford?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived in Germany for ten years, had several cars, all manual's as back then most of the drivers were men, and most of them learned to drive military vehicles, which were all manuals of course. I have been back to visit friends and have noticed many more women drivers, and many more auto's, don't know if there is a correlation but they are shifting to automatics in a big way. The big reason they go for small engines is twofold, one is the $6 a gallon for gas, the other is the TUV, the safety protocol for vehicles, simply put, the bigger the engine, the higher the taxes you pay.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m sure the people who really want that combo would pay for it, but realize, the 2.7 has never been offered with a manual,
Simple. The mustang should be offered with the 2.7 as the base engine. This is still thier flagship
sports car, right? Why does it not have a slight premium engine over many of Fords trucks/SUV's.
The V-8 mustang could then be taken up a notch with an aluminum 6.8 Godzilla dropped in.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived in Germany for ten years, had several cars, all manual's as back then most of the drivers were men, and most of them learned to drive military vehicles, which were all manuals of course. I have been back to visit friends and have noticed many more women drivers, and many more auto's, don't know if there is a correlation but they are shifting to automatics in a big way. The big reason they go for small engines is twofold, one is the $6 a gallon for gas, the other is the TUV, the safety protocol for vehicles, simply put, the bigger the engine, the higher the taxes you pay.
It’s interesting, there are a ton of reasons from my understanding. The biggest used to be the performance and efficiency, especially with smaller engines based on the taxation mode in most EU countries. Now that automatics are equal or better in terms of efficiency, the share is shifting, although still much more biased to manual than the US. I also think they eat less ice cream cones, which are tough to eat while driving a manual. ?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
How about Ford giving us the 300 Straight 6 engine with a non-Chinese 7 spd manual? I will take less HP and TQ for its straight-forward construction and reliability. Just saying.
That was the engine and transmission (5 speed manual) I spected in my first factory order, a 1978 Econoline. Air, no cruise or tilt. Captains chairs. Dark Blue, only slightly lighter than Antimatter. Bullet proof. Loved it.

Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Simple. The mustang should be offered with the 2.7 as the base engine. This is still thier flagship
sports car, right? Why does it not have a slight premium engine over many of Fords trucks/SUV's.
The V-8 mustang could then be taken up a notch with an aluminum 6.8 Godzilla dropped in.
The v-8 is possible, but Ford really has no incentive to develop a manual 2.7, how many more people would go and buy a mustang because of the change in base motor (and the accompanying price increase), that wouldn’t buy it with the option of 2.3 or v8? Not enough people to even come close to making up the r&d and tooling costs. Frankly, it’s a miracle that they are even offering manuals at all given how low the take-rate is from new car buyers.

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The main reason is that nobody would actually buy it

It costs money to certify a trans/engine combo and it's not cheap.

People on forums love to whine about manual transmission dying, but not enough of them open their wallets and buy new vehicles.

I've only owned manual vehicles but man, it's over. Automatics are good now. Unless I'm at the Porsche store I'll take the slushbox next time
I don't agree with this argument. I get that it's probably not worth the hassle to develop and certify the MT with both engines, but the number of people that would by MAN2.7 are much greater than those who would buy MAN2.3. If they wanted to pick one engine to pair with the MT, it really should have been the 2.7L.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't agree with this argument. I get that it's probably not worth the hassle to develop and certify the MT with both engines, but the number of people that would by MAN2.7 are much greater than those who would buy MAN2.3. If they wanted to pick one engine to pair with the MT, it really should have been the 2.7L.
But the number who won’t buy the 2.3 manual or the 2.7 auto instead of a 2.7 manual is pretty small, and it is a lot cheaper and easier for Ford to do the 2.3 manual than a 2.7 manual

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford probably just doesn’t have enough of a business case to make the changes of adding another variant of the 2.7 engine to their production line. (For reference, the 2.3 has always been available with a manual or auto, so they don’t need to make any major changes to it)
This. If enough people who claim they are getting a manual actually do get one, Ford will be surprised by the demand and be more willing to make a 2.7-manual combination.

Take a number that represents the total cost of getting the manual to work with the 2.7. Then divide that by the number of vehicles expected to sell in that configuration. Then add that to the MSRP for those configurations--wait, people buying a manual expect to pay not one dollar more, so take that total cost and absorb it into the whole production run.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

USA historically had wider straighter roads than some European countries. Point the vehicle and hit the throttle, more conducive to an auto handling things.

I drove a manual around Ireland a couple summers ago. On the newer large highways manual didn't provide much over auto. But on the back roads manual was the bomb. Lots of fun and did exactly what I wanted.

So it really depends on type of roads and driver skill/coordination, to determine the more appropriate type of trans.
Sponsored