Sponsored

Is this the best aftermarket roof rack?? Badass Tents Full Size Roof Rack for Hardtop

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the deal with the unattainable factory one? The rails with cross bars?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I believe the part numbers are:

2-Door: M2DZ-9955100-AA

4-Door: M2DZ-9955100-BA

Not sure about availability, but showing at all the different Ford part warehouses online. MSRP of $825 with a bunch doing 23% off.

@flip might know about availability(sorry for tag if not).
Hey, thanks for sharing. 👍🏻
In Canada, it looks like $1155 with 20 to 23% discount.
If Badass stands by their weight ratings on their racks, the extra cost would definitely be worth it for some....
Edit: for those of us who are also thinking about a RTT, you'd likely wanna upgrade to Yakima HD crossbars as well, and this would add hundreds to the cost of an OEM rack...
The Badass setup is one and done 👍🏻

Last edited:

broncopaws

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco, 1978 Bronco, 1996 Bronco, 2005 Ex
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like the fact that it's low profile not to mention the light weight!!

Julz670

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Previously: '83 and '95 Bronco XLTs. RIP.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like a very nice roof rack. From an engineering perspective, though, I have a difficult time believing that the advertised load ratings -- 500lbs Static load (at Camp) 250lbs Dynamic load (in transit) -- can be better than the factory roof rack, since both racks attach at the same points on the roof. I assume the load rating of the factory roof rack is limited by the attachment points &/or the MIC hard top itself, rather than the actual strength of the rack, just like the weight rating for the fold-down tailgate table accessory is probably limited by the tailgate hinges and not the table itself, but maybe that assumption is wrong?

Perhaps one of the Bronco engineers will chime in and comment?
I asked ZROADZ about how they can claim a higher load rating than the OEM rack while still using the same attachment points and if the load rating would be dependent on the strength of the hardtop. They responded with this, "because we add extra cross bars toward the back, the weight is distributed. this allows for extra weight on the top of the truck."

I really want to believe that it can hold the advertised weight, but if the roof itself fails under the roof rack and cargo weight, then what? Is that still something that could be warrantied, or would it then become a claim against the roof rack seller? Or just S.O.L. at that point?

Sponsored

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Anyone able to get a picture of the rear short rack? I mostly need the roof rack for skis and that size would probably be enough. I contacted the company asking for a photo but haven't heard back.

ayacht

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Expedition, F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I heard back from Badass Tents and they were going to photograph the rear short rack and post pics to their website. No ETA but hopefully soon.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard back from Badass Tents and they were going to photograph the rear short rack and post pics to their website. No ETA but hopefully soon.
No update?
I also got word that Sarah'n'tune was loaning then her 2 door so they could prototype the rack

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
No update?
I also got word that Sarah'n'tune was loaning then her 2 door so they could prototype the rack
No update. I’d settle for a photo of it on the ground.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like the idea of a short rack, but didn’t see any pics. Did I miss something?
I saw that, was interested in how it looks 😃 I would like something that doesn’t make removal of the first two hardtop panels difficult, but I can mount my traction boards and possibly a high lift jack. Seems like this may be a good option.
Anyone able to get a picture of the rear short rack? I mostly need the roof rack for skis and that size would probably be enough. I contacted the company asking for a photo but haven't heard back.
Call me crazy, but a short rack attached to the clamshell only and a separate single bar attached to the windshield mounts (with or without integrated light bar) would work really well for long but relatively light items like canoes, kayaks, ski boxes, etc. while allowing full removal of the three panels. Any chance we'll get something like that?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bad ass tents is the only rack I've read about so far that does allow for both front and mid panel removal

webdz9r

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE - Area 51
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'm worried that any of these aftermarket racks might not be compatible with the MIC 2.0. Anyone speak to this? I have the first MIC and have been speaking to my dealer about the replacement option

ayacht

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Expedition, F150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm worried that any of these aftermarket racks might not be compatible with the MIC 2.0. Anyone speak to this? I have the first MIC and have been speaking to my dealer about the replacement option
I feel like the new top is just a better quality if anything. I doubt they would make major dimensional changes or at least hope they would not. Also it would render all the factory racks they have built useless too.

Nice to see we have a wind deflector and addition of light bar mounts. 2 of my asks.
Sponsored