Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The air bags didnt go off how is that enough to bend the frame enough to total it? weird.
It was back in the late 90s but I managed to total a car due to bent frame and the airbags didn't deploy. As a teenager I was capable of amazingly stupid things.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I posted this one last week - there are two on copart at the moment. This one and another that does look to be totaled.
Ahh sorry @survivormanca I had not seen your prior post and I only searched forum for 'salvage'.
You are right, the second one you posted looks a lot worse.
Here is link to that one for anybody interested, as found by Survivormanca: https://www.copart.com/lot/56956301/2021-ford-bronco-base-pa-philadelphia-east-sublot

Given the low damage to value ratio on these, I think what others have pointed out is probably accurate. It is less about the cost to fix them that has caused the insurance company to auction them, and more likely the difficulty in getting the parts to do the job.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not everything on that site is a salvage.
True and good to point out. These might have clear titles, which means they will sell for even more.

The rules differ from state to state, but here in PA, anybody can buy a salvage title vehicle with no special license required. But you do have to go through a special inspection process in order to bring that 'salvage' title back to 'reconstructed' status, and only after doing so can you register the vehicle and legally drive it on the road. Also, that reconstructed label stays with the vehicle forever, so it will never have as much value as a clean title no matter how many times it changes hands from owner to owner.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The air bags didnt go off how is that enough to bend the frame enough to total it? weird.
I am not an expert on this but it does depend on from where you get hit and how much acceleration/deceleration results from it. A 15 mph head on collision will probably set off the front airbags, but 15 mph from the rear might not. The Supplemental Restraint System computers and sensors detect where the forces are coming from and deploys specific bags accordingly.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am not an expert on this but it does depend on from where you get hit and how much acceleration/deceleration results from it. A 15 mph head on collision will probably set off the front airbags, but 15 mph from the rear might not. The Supplemental Restraint System computers and sensors detect where the forces are coming from and deploys specific bags accordingly.
Look at the hitch- this car landed/fell on something. I would bet most of the damage is to the undercarriage and frame.

Sponsored

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That would be going down the road sideways in all likelihood. Probably a well lawyered leasing outfit owned it - might not be a total for an individual. There is no reasonable collision or comprehensive on Salvage Titles - they don't buy them back twice. This is a cash only car, with a huge discount. It also has sensors, can be real code throwers - could get an early high clearance hot rod rear bumper.

Last edited:

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Look at the hitch- this car landed/fell on something. I would bet most of the damage is to the undercarriage and frame.
Agree, from the photo's, appears hitch caused frame damage, happens often with trucks with rear hitches upon rear impact. Rear gate not being completely closed raises concerns with bent frame and or body twisting.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the hitch is bent like that the frame is probably twisted.

Sponsored

hotrodtim

Wildtrak
First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 EXPEDITION,2009 F150,2003 LINCOLN AVIATOR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What a shame! o_O

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Good Lord. Why in the heck would they total that? And you want to know why insurance prices are up? 😂

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If that's all it takes to total one, that is not a good thing. If the frame is that fragile what will years of off roading do to it. It probably is totaled. A dealer would buy it and sell it for a big profit. Frame tweeked and body mounts shifted. Now, the Bronco Sport that fell off Black bear pass, that's beyond totaled.

Glue Guy

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been checking Copart from time to time and this is the first Bronco I have seen.
https://www.copart.com/lot/58429491/2021-ford-bronco-base-ma-north-boston

Obviously it is mislabeled as a Base. Just from the pictures, looks like fairly minor rear end damage to total a $50k vehicle. Maybe the frame is bent?

It will be interesting to see how much this sells for. I am guessing something in the $30k+ range
That’s identical to the Bronco out in my driveway. betting you couldn’t get parts to fix it, but doesn’t look too bad at all.

Dibs on the windshield! Been waiting on a windshield for mine for 2 months!

oddballmotorsports

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 forester, 99 bmw, 81 honda.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Groovy factoid about Massachusetts.. the state regulates insurance repair rates at like $40 / hr, so if that's totaled its either got a TON of unseen damage, OR it just might give us a clue as to what its actual value (what the dealer really paid) is / was by using insurance repair info. might be a fun way to see what "rock bottom invoice" cost really is.. because of the % cost total threshold. its not going to be useful info at the moment due to people willing to push their grandma out of the way to get one.. but once everyone settles down, could be a nice lil ace up the sleeve..
Sponsored