Sponsored

Is This What a 2.7 L Should Sound Like in Bronco?

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OB 2-Door V6 Sasquatch AMB High Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
Two weeks old today, has sounded like this since Day 1 while idling at cold start and while idling after any length of drive, but it will quiet down after a few minutes of idling. 1,700 miles already so I’m passed the break-in period and curious if this is normal because of the turbos or perhaps something’s not right, like a belt or pulley or bearing that needs attention. Took it by the nearest dealer this morning (not where I bought it), and they said they couldn’t hear anything. Idk maybe this is what a 2.7 L Bronco is supposed to sound like?

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds an awful lot like my 2.3L in my Ranger. Like a wheezy asthmatic... until you give it the beans. Then it sounds like an out of shape wheezy asthmatic.

Always sounds great in the cabin though.. strange.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

what is the problem which you are trying to identify? which sound does not sound right to you? sucks air, compresses air, burns air, and releases air... repeat.... is there a knocking or rattling? a squealing or tapping? pop the hood and identify the location where the offensive sound is coming from... then you may have identified a problem...

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
what is the problem which you are trying to identify? which sound does not sound right to you? sucks air, compresses air, burns air, and releases air... repeat.... is there a knocking or rattling? a squealing or tapping? pop the hood and identify the location where the offensive sound is coming from... then you may have identified a problem...
Thanks, I’ve popped the hood and looked around several times, and it’s more of an all-over sound. I’m no mechanic, if you can’t tell lol. I guess if that sounds normal, then I’m stoked.

BC33

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it’s just a different time in motor building. My 2.3 sounds like a diesel. At first I thought I would have to get a different exhaust for it. Now I like the sound. It definitely goes with the stocky style and torquieness of the vehicle. Changing times I guess…

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
  • Banned
I think it’s just a different time in motor building. My 2.3 sounds like a diesel. At first I thought I would have to get a different exhaust for it. Now I like the sound. It definitely goes with the stocky style and torquieness of the vehicle. Changing times I guess…
Yeah I can dig the diesel sound but I’m talking about that high pitched rotational sound, kind of like an old school homemade ice cream maker.

BC33

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah I can dig the diesel sound but I’m talking about that high pitched rotational sound, kind of like an old school homemade ice cream maker.
I’ve listened to it a couple of times. Doesn’t sound like a turbo whine. It definitely sound like pulleys and belts. Some times when you hear something that you think is off it will drive you crazy thinking it’s broken when it’s not. I have a Ram 1500 and I swear it has a lifter knock. I’ve even taken it to the dealer but they said it was fine. I still find myself standing outside of my truck listening to it to see if it’s actually there. 🤷

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you had a turbo motor'd engine before? Definitely sounds different than a normally aspirated motor. I have a 2.0T Wrangler and it sounds like a mini turbo diesel with all sorts of strange noises that you wouldn't normally hear. If a belt or pulley is broken then you should notice something wrong with the performance of the motor.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The 2.3L in my Ranger sounds like a sewing machine when I start it up. I really don't hear anything I would be concerned about in your 2.7L. Drive on, you've got a warranty if anything happens.

BTW, my Jeep JL has had a strange high pitched sound for a few seconds after starting since new. At 20K miles it's still there from time to time, but it's running great. There's so much crap to make noise on today's engines, so I just let it roll.

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you had a turbo motor'd engine before? Definitely sounds different than a normally aspirated motor. I have a 2.0T Wrangler and it sounds like a mini turbo diesel with all sorts of strange noises that you wouldn't normally hear. If a belt or pulley is broken then you should notice something wrong with the performance of the motor.
Thanks, I have not, maybe that’s just it. Is 226 degrees oil temp normal for a short drive around town, not towing or driving hard?

Seems high but I don’t know much.

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the 2.3L in a Big Bend (no extra sound deadening material in mine) and it sounds similar, like a 2-stroke generator inside an empty box trailer. I'd say don't worry about it.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks, I have not, maybe that’s just it. Is 226 degrees oil temp normal for a short drive around town, not towing or driving hard?

Seems high but I don’t know much.
The Bronco dashboard will let you know if any temperatures are too high. Why be so worried if its a brand new vehicle with a full warranty? Drive it and enjoy it.

OP
OP
Blue's B6G

Blue's B6G

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate your replies! I feel better now, knowing that I’ve checked with a Ford service department and you all, and it sounds like I don’t have anything to be concerned about.
Sponsored