Sponsored

Is upgrading kick panel speakers worth it?

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I upgraded my audio some months ago, sounds great, but maybe it could sound better? I have an Audiocontrol LC 1300 amp, stinger subwoofer enclosure and Kicker ks for dash(with bass blockers) and rear, I never replaced the kick panel speakers since I heard conflicting things on if it was worth it or not.

When listening to bass heavy music at louder volumes, I hear that weird sound when a speaker can't keep up with the volume, not sure how to describe it or what the technical term is. Can't really tell if it's coming from the dash or kick panels, so it got me thinking if it might be worth it to upgrade kick panels.
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I upgraded my audio some months ago, sounds great, but maybe it could sound better? I have an Audiocontrol LC 1300 amp, stinger subwoofer enclosure and Kicker ks for dash(with bass blockers) and rear, I never replaced the kick panel speakers since I heard conflicting things on if it was worth it or not.

When listening to bass heavy music at louder volumes, I hear that weird sound when a speaker can't keep up with the volume, not sure how to describe it or what the technical term is. Can't really tell if it's coming from the dash or kick panels, so it got me thinking if it might be worth it to upgrade kick panels.
I think it is worth it. It is a low cost solution. I put in Kicker CS and it was easy and low cost. I put the Kicker CS in all 6 spots with 200.4 amp and forscan changes and it sounds amazing. Have alpine spv65sxs speakers I'm putting in today if i have time. This will improve the back vs the 4 inch speakers.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you added an amplifier (which it seems you did), yes I think it is worth it. Is it as noticeable of an upgrade as the 4" speakers were? No, definitely not, upgrading the 4" speakers was a massive benefit, even with the factory amp. But upgrading the kick panels was still a solid upgrade.

However... for those who are not adding an amplifier, upgrading the kick panels doesn't really buy you anything. The factory kick panels are more than adequate when paired with the factory amp.

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just make sure you buy some bass blockers for your 4” dash and rears. There’s a guy on eBay that sells them prewired so plug and play. Music will sound cleaner just not louder.

Cysquatch

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CTS, 1996 Silverado 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with kicker KS all around with an Infinity underseat powered sub. It shares the bass signals with the kick panel speakers and the sound is very good. Turn it up to 18-20 and I get a nice butt massage.

Sponsored

Halfpixel

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4dr Badlands Squatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you pushing full range to the 6.5"? If so, the change may be more significant to you. I use them as a woofer only (<800hz) and run a 12" & 8" JL sub-woofer set-up in the back.

It was a small improvement for my setup. I have Focals all around (5x 4" and 2x 6.5"). The 6.5" kicks were the smallest improvement of the lot. If you're picky like me, just do it. It's noticeable.

Are you running a custom EQ? You'll get WAY more benefit by getting your system tuned properly and running the head unit at it's default settings.

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you have them amplified then it is a huge improvement

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I used woofers in the kick panels, a pair of Hertz 165 Cs. I think Ford's intent was to set up the front speakers as more as of a component system. I used bass blockers at 600 hz in the 4" dash speakers. The woofers do a better job at mid bass frequencies and if you have the same frequencies coming out of the dash speakers, which are closer to your ears, chances are you won't get much audible sound out of the kick panels, unless you jack up the power to the 6.5s.

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just make sure you buy some bass blockers for your 4” dash and rears. There’s a guy on eBay that sells them prewired so plug and play. Music will sound cleaner just not louder.
You got a link for these??

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I recently added the plugnplay harness, kicker 4” in the front with bass blockers and kicker 6.5 in the rear with the Mabett rear pods and a kicker 200.4 amp all with the help of several different forums and members posts. I did not change the kicks as I have a 2 door. It was much better than factory but I still wasn’t 100% happy. Today, I made the Forscan adjust that other members did and WOW, game changer. I am now 100%. I’m not big on the bass thump but if you are you’ll want to add a sub, somewhere. Again, thanks to all on this forum or I would have paid a bunch more from a stereo shop and got the same result!

Sponsored
OP
OP

broncoToBe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently added the plugnplay harness, kicker 4” in the front with bass blockers and kicker 6.5 in the rear with the Mabett rear pods and a kicker 200.4 amp all with the help of several different forums and members posts. I did not change the kicks as I have a 2 door. It was much better than factory but I still wasn’t 100% happy. Today, I made the Forscan adjust that other members did and WOW, game changer. I am now 100%. I’m not big on the bass thump but if you are you’ll want to add a sub, somewhere. Again, thanks to all on this forum or I would have paid a bunch more from a stereo shop and got the same result!
What forscan adjust? I haven't done anything with that

Brutal-Force

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

I installed JBL GTO629s in the kick panels.

With just the stock stereo, they were better, but still meh. After adding a Kicker 200.4, it was incredible. The bass that came out of the 6.5 inches was pretty good. Not low or anything, but it was a really good sound. After I added a 12" Sub and 500.1, it sounds like a concert.

Looks like Audiocontrol LC1300 has DSP? I think that is what is making all of the difference for the sound quality. Is yours properly set up?

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What forscan adjust? I haven't done anything with that
My understanding is there are EQ adjustments in the base stereo that are processed through the head unit. That's not untypical with Ford's base systems with cheap cardboard speakers. The EQ settings can be set to flat with Forscan. Those with the B&O system that have tried those adjustments didn't notice any difference. My front speakers had high pass filters on them. I have good base coming through the 6.5" speakers I installed in mine without any sort of adjustment.

Last edited:
First Name
Leonard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I installed JBL GTO629s in the kick panels.

With just the stock stereo, they were better, but still meh. After adding a Kicker 200.4, it was incredible. The bass that came out of the 6.5 inches was pretty good. Not low or anything, but it was a really good sound. After I added a 12" Sub and 500.1, it sounds like a concert.

Looks like Audiocontrol LC1300 has DSP? I think that is what is making all of the difference for the sound quality. Is yours properly set up?
Moden numbers of AudioControl amps that have a DSP begin with "D" - the LC is an amp without a DSP.
Sponsored