Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Spreadsheet for tracking logistics and resolution
Please do not sort or manipulate the original, export the data. If for some reason the spreadsheet has been accidently modified DM me and I can restore it from automated backup.

The purpose of this thread is to help those who are just beginning or may already be experiencing a scraping noises with the 7 speed manual transmission. All material is centrally located to help organize all resources. Please feel free to request any additional links be added.

This is my 2022 2.3L 7MT 2500 miles as of 1/12/2023

This video is best viewed with headphones. The sound produced can be heard much better but it can be heard without as well. There are a large number of brand new Ford Bronco experiencing these issues of scraping noise in the 7MT. The noise may vary in severity based on environmental temps below 50*F. Please share and use the links below to help us get our Broncos fixed!

Spreadsheet
Spreadsheet for tracking logistics and resolution

Safety Complaint (Tran could fail based on damage pictures)
File NHTSA Vehicle Safety Complaint/Concern🔎🔎🔎

Good Bronco
What a good Bronco sounds like

Other Threads
Join the forum discussion

Take the Feedback Poll "Does you Bronco make the noise
?"

DAMAGE
Images of Damage That is Likely Associated to The Noise (5th & 6th Synchronizing Gears)

Synchro's that were intact (But TSB claims synchro's are the cause?)

More Damage

TSB info (Doesn't seem to fix issue, Transmission replacement not working either)
Related TSB (TSB 22-2371) information issued12/13/2022

Failed TSB Reports
4/4 responded TSB ineffective for them as of 2/8/2023
:mad::eek: Reported TSB ineffective:mad::eek:
o_Oo_O2nd Confirmed TSB Failureo_Oo_O
:confused::confused:Looks like another failed TSB #3:confused::confused:
☠☠3 Transmissions offered 4th. Awaiting TSB☠☠

🍋🍋🍋Again failed TSB probably a Lemon Now🍋🍋🍋

Ford Public Authority Article (Vote!)
Public Article from Ford Authority

Things to test

1. Start vehicle after cold soak of >12hrs and allow to idle with clutch out in neutral(Heater and radio off)
A. Do you hear bubbles/grinding/scraping/rocks?​
B. Near the transmission case under vehicle is it louder? (MAKE SURE VEHICLE IS NOT IN GEAR)
2 . If noise is present
A. What is environment temps? 50*F and below is where most report the noise​
B. Does it come and go with warming up and driving?​
C. Is it always present?​
D. If you leave car in neutral and clutch out, put slightly in 6th position.​
a. Does noise disappear?​
b. Does it reappear after back in neutral?​
3. Drive slowly 5-10mph. in 1st and 2nd. Do you hear scraping?
A. While slow rolling with clutch pressed and in gear, do you hear scraping?​
B. Hear it In reverse?​
4. Do you have any burning smells? (May not be related)

Additional videos examples
Mine making the noise 20ft+ away the noise is secondary to the engine idle,
From down below
Near the Front Tire
Near the pedals
In and Out

P.S. - For those without a Bronco yet and wondering if taking a chance on the Manual is right for you, consensus from owners experiencing these issues are inline with what Tricky Dick said: “I absolutely have no regrets and wouldn't change a thing. The auto will be worse off in the long run.” But do expect that your chances of experiencing the issues are high at this time.

DEALER HAS DEEMED MY VEHICLE UNSAFE FOR THE ROAD
My scraping noise has dramatically worsened over the course of Feb 2023. The below 3 events prompted my dealer to deem the vehicle unsafe. These symptoms are highly indicative of synchronizer issues but we have to wait to see the final verdict. The 3 occasions below were all while already in 2nd and/or clutch already down to floor fully engaged for seemingly no reason with no hand or foot work happening. (Sticking Synchro)

#1 2/14/23 rolling about 15mph already in 2nd clutch letting it out grinding like half in gear. I popped in neutral and then reengaged 2nd.. The stick was for sure all the way down in 2nd I had clutched in and back out again and that's when it happened to slow motion due to normal traffic conditions.

#2 2/17/23 rolling in 1st 10mph shifting into 2nd in a parking lot. Clutch to the floor completely 2-3 second prior to shift. Again for sure clutch to floor went to shift into 2nd grinding immediately.. so shifted to 1 then back to 2 and was fine.

#3 2/21/2023 clutch all the way down again rolling slow speed turning in a parking lot. Vehicle was already in 2. I was only clutching in to slow a little, never let off clutch. this time for no reason I'm in 2nd with clutch engaged and the vehicle started high revving for no reason. Had one foot on brake one foot on clutch fully pressed to floor. High rev lasted about 2 seconds and then went back to normal. I changed nothing gear, brake or clutch.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did we really need another thread about this when there are at least 4 others?

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My thread is simply to link to all the others and the more the better. Also if there are 4 others and I'm number 5 then I say FORD issue a damn recall!
Why?

There's a TSB for this EXACT issue already so it should be at the dealer..

No point in a recall for 5 cars...

OP
OP
I3lackRose

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Why?

Well according to another poll it's over 120 at least and that's just owners who are part of the forum. Poor people picking up their long awaited MY23s and reporting the issue on day 1 drive home. The TSB is issued and 1 report of it being done just 2 weeks ago. The TSB replaces parts with same parts and we are all being told by our dealers the parts are back ordered or labor shortage and it'll be months before it can be attempted.

I would say if you don't have the 7MT or this issue you probably don't know what we are all going through but I have kindly supplied all the links at the beginning of the thread and will update as needed.

bcool2525

Badlands
First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500, 1987 F250, 1969 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why?

The TSB doesn't seem to fix the issue, just kick it down the road a few hundred miles...

Sponsored

foremi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, T1 V10, T7, YXZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well according to another poll it's over 120 at least and that's just owners who are part of the forum. Poor people picking up their long awaited MY23s and reporting the issue on day 1 drive home. The TSB is issued and 1 report of it being done just 2 weeks ago. The TSB replaces parts with same parts and we are all being told by our dealers the parts are back ordered or labor shortage and it'll be months before it can be attempted.

I would say if you don't have the 7MT or this issue you probably don't know what we are all going through.
None of those issues would be solved by a recall vs TSB AND there's probably plenty of people who would rather take delivery and deal with it when parts show up than wait with the car sitting on the lot. There's an extremely low chance of damage beyond the transmission or it suddenly escalating to complete failure.
The TSB replaces parts with same parts
Not sure what Getrag is doing internally but I think the assumption is it's a quality control related issue, not design issue. They don't necessarily need a new revision part. I'm sure Ford supplier quality is all over them looking for answers and a fix.

The TSB replaces parts with same parts and we are all being told by our dealers the parts are back ordered or labor shortage and it'll be months before it can be attempted.
People are being told that across the board for almost everything at all dealers. A friends 22my Ram 1500 has an oil leak. Dealer said they'd schedule it to be *looked* at in 2 months.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck but this isn't really a safety related issue and there's an almost nonexistent chance of it suddenly escalating to the trans locking up or damaging anything else.

Cars are one of the most complex consumer products available and we are coming out of a global pandemic that has lead to all sorts of fuckery in logistics, material availability, and labor. There's bound to be issues ESPECIALLY on a brand new car that was entirely launched DURING the pandemic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I3lackRose

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

• Banned
Well crap, I'm pretty sure I've heard that.
Much thx TSB link
Hadn't seen it before

Are they really only replacing with same parts ?
As far as everyone has been able to decipher, yes. Same parts. Basically addressing the physicals damage but not necessarily the cause of it. People don't even want to have the TSB done for this reason, but its best to attempt to get in line if you are experiencing it.

FRM

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 22 Bronco Base , 19 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
MT88 Manual Transmission - Rotational Scraping Noise From Transmission When Cold And In Neutral, 1st And/Or 2nd Gear With Clutch Applied
22-2371
13 December 2022​
Model:
Ford
2021-2022 Bronco
Transmission/Transaxle: MT88

Issue: Some 2021-2022 Bronco vehicles equipped with a MT88 manual transmission may experience a rotational scraping noise in ambient temps below 10°C (50°F) and after a cold soak with the transmission in neutral, 1st, and/or 2nd gear and clutch engaged. The noise may go away as the transmission warms up. This may be due to the 5th and 6th gear synchronizer rings. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the 5th and 6th gear synchronizer rings.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition if the vehicle meets the following criteria:

• 2021-2022 Bronco
• Equipped with MT88 manual transmission
• Rotational scraping noise from the transmission in ambient temps below 10°C (50°F) and after a cold soak with the transmission in neutral, 1st, and/or 2nd gear and clutch engaged
• Noise goes away as the transmission warms up

Sponsored
OP
OP
I3lackRose

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

None of those issues would be solved by a recall vs TSB. There's an extremely low chance of damage beyond the transmission or it suddenly escalating to complete failure.

Not sure what Getrag is doing internally but I think the assumption is it's a quality control related issue, not design issue. They don't necessarily need a new revision part. I'm sure Ford supplier quality is all over them looking for answers and a fix.

People are being told that across the board for almost everything at all dealers. A friends 22my Ram 1500 has an oil leak. Dealer said they'd schedule it to be *looked* at in 2 months.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck but this isn't really a safety related issue and there's an almost nonexistent chance of it suddenly escalating to the trans locking up or damaging anything else.

Cars are one of the most complex consumer products available and we are coming out of a global pandemic that has lead to all sorts of fuckery in logistics, material availability, and labor. There's bound to be issues ESPECIALLY on a brand new car that was entirely launched DURING the pandemic.
I like what you're saying but I would argue while no reported failures have resulted just yet these are also brand new vehicles experiencing this and if your transmission goes out while you're driving depending on the circumstances, speed and so forth that can absolutely be a safety concern. Imagine being a Bronco owner as a parent and transmission gives out stranding you in the middle of a 70MPH highway with yourself 2 kids and a wife inside? Or do we wait until vehicles randomly accelerate and slam into walls before we need a recall?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None of those issues would be solved by a recall vs TSB AND there's probably plenty of people who would rather take delivery and deal with it when parts show up than wait with the car sitting on the lot.
This. I presume I should be able to take it in to "get in line" and continue driving it while I wait 2-3 months for a service opening.

Last edited:

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Really don’t see the point of another thread. Like on any forums the issues are catastrophized. No noises with mine at 7k on -30F days.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My thread is simply to link to all the others and the more the better. Also if there are 4 others and I'm number 5 then I say FORD issue a damn recall!
Hate to break it to you, but a simple noise concern will never be a recall, nor should it be.
Just look at the cam phaser rattle that Ford has been battling for the last 2 decades. No recalls, just TSB's.

OP
OP
I3lackRose

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you want to get banned? Because this is how you get banned.

Our Indonesian B6g overlords (and absokutely not moderated or overseen by Ford) tend to dislike threads which indicate there is ever a problem (including if there's a TSB, recall or blatantly obvious issue)

Fighting the good fight! Too bad the powers that be have been consistent that quality of content, or having users capable of searching for information are not the aim of the forum.

Volume of new threads/clicks is the objective. Unless, of course you use multiple accounts to say the same thing, then banned. It's a fine line.

Sadly, the MT issues seem to be continuing. Thankfully most have seemed to be just the throw out bearing which should, eventually, get resolved at the assembly line.

Just don't mention the huge hush-hush about the front power transfer unit exploding, a thread to track those failures will surely get you outta here.
You are wrong about the throw out bearing, its completely unrelated to our issue and not nearly as wide spread as ours. I doubt ill get banned for posting the same stuff in other places and my own thread. If they ban me ill be right back as a new person. and for the big guys, Im on every major social media platform so i have plenty of ways of getting content out there. They can't hush several hundred people up experiencing this.
Sponsored