Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let us know if you figure out the problem. Got a Bronco on order and it would make me also a first time Ford owner. Owned nothing but Hondas/Toyotas in the whole family and they have been nothing but reliable. Was tempted to grab a Tacoma but they have issues with their lockers too. Hard to engage. Have to be on flat ground, drive forward/backwards, you go through a whole ritual, and then it might engage.

I'm not afraid of seeing problems on a vehicle, im afraid of them having no solution or being very expensive to fix. I do most of my own car work. So i while i await my Bronco, these sort of posts are my favorite.
Sponsored

the paws

Outer Banks
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Easy Peasy. Disconnect the battery for 20 sec.

OP
OP
Reach Beach

Reach Beach

Big Bend
First Name
Jacques Merde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had what sounds like the same thing happen to me on 2 different occasions, once back in February and another time in March. Both times I was driving on the beach, with sand mode engaged. The 1st time everything was great for maybe 20 minutes then all sorts of error messages (hill start assist warning, pre collision assist not available) and it threw me out of sand mode, still in 4H with rear locker engaged though but no goat modes were available. It didn't clear until I came off the beach and hit the 2H button. Second time was a little more concerning as I could not get it to disengage out of 4H at first. I think I wound up shutting it off then turning it back on. My local dealer said it must be the sand causing some sort of sensor malfunction but "don't worry about it if it cleared once you got off the beach". I took it to another dealer who said of course they couldn't replicate the issue. 🤷‍♂️ I've got 4100 miles on it now and otherwise it's been issue free so I'm not really worried but it would be nice to have an explanation other than "maybe some sand got into a sensor". Isn't a beach with sand an environment that the Bronco was build to be driven in? I haven't been back to the beach lately but will be curious to see if the prior times were just random issues working themself out since it had pretty low miles at the time.

Oh yeah I almost forgot. From other similar posts I've seen on here it seems like a faulty ABS sensor could be to blame, but I was quickly shot down by the dealer who said "we can't diagnose based off of something you read on a forum".
Thanks for sharing, sounds like you experienced what I did. I wasn’t doing doughnuts and roosting sand everywhere. Going slow and chillin’.

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't take it personally OP, The fanboys here get super triggered whenever someone criticizes their precious corporation. It's kind of sad really, but such is the reality of venturing into a car forum.

You're not the first to bring up these glitchy 4x4 issues, personally I wish Ford offered an optional manual 4x4 transfer case

Sponsored

atx_chance

Badlands
First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you experienced what I did. I wasn’t doing doughnuts and roosting sand everywhere. Going slow and chillin’.
You actually should be able to throw sand everywhere if you want, just like Ford advertises it doing…. Your frustration is valid, and I hope the dealer gets things figured out for you.

I’d definitely want to ensure that things are all working before taking on the extreme trails that these ford apologists must frequent…. Lol 😂

Cruachan

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not sure if anyone mentioned checking the Ford app for the error messages. In my first 4x4 adventure, the truck started making all sorts of error messages; they cleared after a restart. Later I saw all the messages were captured in the app.

Good luck.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you taken it to dealer to diagnose? Keep us updated, let's see what the real issue is.
Hopefully he doesn't get the typical "Tech couldn't reproduce the issue" dealer BS for we didn't even try.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also, we’re You in 4L? Cuz you have to be in neutral for it to shift out of 4L. Take a deep breath, Karen. Life’s too short to freak out on something like this.
Seriously, maybe something funky going on, but I have not had any problems like that. There are a variety of reasons why it might have fought getting out of 4WD.

4L sometimes requires a little bit of movement forward to engage/disengage but nothing that made me feel like wanted to call a sales person up.

If the OP could be a little more specific about the messages, it would help to understand why the vehicle freaked out.

Also, did you wax it?

Sponsored

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is honestly the pettiest forum I have ever been a part of. I put a post up about some parts I ordered that showed up half out of the box, damaged, ETC and then I got roasted, not the vendor...

I think everybody should be a little more understanding that when you wait 18 months for a vehicle and it shows up having issues that you're going to be a little bit upset and instead of throwing fuel on the fire they should try to help out.

I'm currently at 3,000 miles, no issues at all, still happy with the purchase, but still irritated with the process. Hopefully it's just a fluke.

I wonder if you could have pushed/rocked the vehicle backward or forward and tried. I'm not real familiar with these but is it possible it was kind of in between gears and you were on a super flat surface?

Hudman316

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Even without the pandemic there would be glitches with a brand new vehicle design. Every company has glitches with brand new models. They come with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty and you can purchase an extended warranty - even if you bought a bare bones model.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base