Sponsored

Issues / glitches during 2021 Bronco startup -- "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." error messages

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I had the doors off today, and drovr around 75 miles total. Around lunch, I jumped in the Bronco and started it up. It kicked "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." The traction control may have faulted too, along with the ABS. I turned it off, waited about ten seconds, and turned it back on. It started fine, but the E brake was engaged. I disengaged it and all was fine. It did it one other time, out of probably 10 startups total.

I wonder if the fault is in the door electrical connections. Maybe the system senses the doors are off and it sends a fault. The other glitches I have read reset when the doors were opened, and mine has only done it with doors off.

Overall, not a huge deal, and probably to be expected with a new and first-year vehicle.

Had same experience with doors off 🤦‍♂️ , Bronco is currently at dealership for other issues as well but reported these to them to make sure they get added to the things they are working with engineers on.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The thing Jeep can't seem to get right is the electronic gremlins.... Come on Ford?!?

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do make black tape big enough to cover the entire Screen?

StickerFab

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stickerfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / 2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So this happens to me but disappears before we get moving... 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Bronco, 77 Bronco, 04 F150, 15 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the second time I have had the doors off on mine. The first time was for about a week, and never had this happen. I took the doors off on Saturday however, and had the same thing happen Sunday afternoon. The Bronco was parked in the garage and the e brake was not set. We were all in, foot on break, hit the start button, and every warning popped up on the screen, and the e brake set itself. I hit the start button to shut it off, then held the brake and hit the button again and it started normally. Had to release the e brake and all was well. The next start it did not happen, but the same thing happened this morning when I tried to leave for work.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

T
So I had the doors off today, and drovr around 75 miles total. Around lunch, I jumped in the Bronco and started it up. It kicked "Check brakes," "trail turn assist unavailable," and "hill assist unavailable." The traction control may have faulted too, along with the ABS. I turned it off, waited about ten seconds, and turned it back on. It started fine, but the E brake was engaged. I disengaged it and all was fine. It did it one other time, out of probably 10 startups total.

I wonder if the fault is in the door electrical connections. Maybe the system senses the doors are off and it sends a fault. The other glitches I have read reset when the doors were opened, and mine has only done it with doors off.

Overall, not a huge deal, and probably to be expected with a new and first-year vehicle.
take it in to get looked at bye Ford so it’s documented and no this should not be expected first year vehicle or not take it in to get fixed something is wrong with it.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems like this
This is the second time I have had the doors off on mine. The first time was for about a week, and never had this happen. I took the doors off on Saturday however, and had the same thing happen Sunday afternoon. The Bronco was parked in the garage and the e brake was not set. We were all in, foot on break, hit the start button, and every warning popped up on the screen, and the e brake set itself. I hit the start button to shut it off, then held the brake and hit the button again and it started normally. Had to release the e brake and all was well. The next start it did not happen, but the same thing happened this morning when I tried to leave for work.
is happening to more and more people wouldn’t be suprised if there’s a recall

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I took mine in and had the codes read by Ford the week it happened. It happened the next time I took the doors off so I called them again. After some research, they concluded that I had to put my seatbelt on BEFORE starting it and it would avoid the errors.

Well...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have had it still act up once or twice with my seatbelt buckled.

Sponsored

Matthew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Bronco, 77 Bronco, 04 F150, 15 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took mine in and had the codes read by Ford the week it happened. It happened the next time I took the doors off so I called them again. After some research, they concluded that I had to put my seatbelt on BEFORE starting it and it would avoid the errors.

Well...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have had it still act up once or twice with my seatbelt buckled.
Interesting. Thank you. I am pretty sure I did have my seatbelt on this morning when it happened, but I know I did not the other time.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting. Thank you. I am pretty sure I did have my seatbelt on this morning when it happened, but I know I did not the other time.
Were the doors back on or still off when the warnings occur?

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's definitely a software issue. No matter how much testing has been done, there are always specific sets of parameters that just aren't covered in the coding - particularly in new platform vehicles. When those parameters are met, the system doesn't have a definitive response, so it'll throw the error codes for that sub-system ( brakes & traction control in this case ).
As they say, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy"
The more it happens, the quicker the programmers can work out a fix. Intermittent issues caused by 'buggy code' is a real pita to chase down because of the inconsistency...the last thing you want is a 'fix' that messes up the rest of the system integration.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Guy on YouTube says you can NOT start Bronco with doors off without being seat-belted. Is that true??? :unsure:
No, it's not true. I did it with a doors off WT this weekend, started up just fine... no doors and no belts.
Sponsored