Sponsored

*** REVISED - WARNING***JB4 Tune from Lethal Performance Review on Bronco 2-Door WT 2.7L

Logan@Lethal

Wildtrak
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you for the review. Ordered today from Lethal Performance. Can't wait more power oh ya.
20220111_111951 - Copy.jpg
Thank you for the order... and I am incredibly jealous of that AM 2-door....

Logan@Lethal
Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Logan@Lethal
Thanks, I am have a great time modifying it. Once I install the JB4 Tune, I might have to get one for my Raptor.

OP
OP
cf_davey

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've used JB4 systems on other platforms and have been happy with the results... It is also nice that it leaves zero 'breadcrumbs' on the stock ECU and can be removed fairly quickly.

Do they not have any install guide for the Bronco yet? Every one i've seen installs in a similar fashion... You unplug a stock male connector, and insert the matching JB4 male connector where you unplugged, and put the stock male plug into the female on the JB4 harness. Typically in two locations...

Shocking that whomever you talked with at JB4 didn't properly convey that basic info?
Yea, and I wish I had the text thread. Not sure how it could have been a miscommunication because I was like, what did I do with the other plug? I imagined having plugs hanging out, unfinished and that didn't make sense to me.

But the install is exactly what you said!

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well I've had the JB4 for 9000 miles and like I've said in other posts that were deleted, banned or locked, the tuner is great! Seems the sellers have to pay to play round here...I have no affiliation, but love this product.

If you really want to see some HUGE improvements, seek out a tank of high octane unleaded ! Or mix a 50/50 batch of E-85, and try tune 4 or 5...feels like an honest 80hp increase in certain RPM ranges, especially the low end power is far beyond what a normally aspirated V8 can deliver.

Other wonderful features unique to this unit are the ability to tweak the tunes yourself and the fantastic guages that come through on your connected phone. You can see the real boost pressure, rpms, afr, throttle position and many others totally selectable.

I thought the installation was super easy, but I cheated and watched the you tube vid on the installation on a 21 f-150...took all of 3 minutes to find plugs and reattach.

Overall, this tuner is perfect for your new Bronco, I'll be using it from now until I can get a flex fuel system installed. E-85 is good for 550 HP on these engines with a few upgrades and safe and cheap.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cf_davey

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well I've had the JB4 for 9000 miles and like I've said in other posts that were deleted, banned or locked, the tuner is great! Seems the sellers have to pay to play round here...I have no affiliation, but love this product.

If you really want to see some HUGE improvements, seek out a tank of high octane unleaded ! Or mix a 50/50 batch of E-85, and try tune 4 or 5...feels like an honest 80hp increase in certain RPM ranges, especially the low end power is far beyond what a normally aspirated V8 can deliver.

Other wonderful features unique to this unit are the ability to tweak the tunes yourself and the fantastic guages that come through on your connected phone. You can see the real boost pressure, rpms, afr, throttle position and many others totally selectable.

I thought the installation was super easy, but I cheated and watched the you tube vid on the installation on a 21 f-150...took all of 3 minutes to find plugs and reattach.

Overall, this tuner is perfect for your new Bronco, I'll be using it from now until I can get a flex fuel system installed. E-85 is good for 550 HP on these engines with a few upgrades and safe and cheap.
WOW Bro! Nice suggestion! We have a Sinclair closeish to us that offers 100 and 110 Octane fuel and my son and I were thinking of trying that one day. Thanks for your write-up.

BTW, I am not associated with anyone either. Kind of wish I was, but alas..

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for the info looking forward to trying this.

"If you really want to see some HUGE improvements, seek out a tank of high octane unleaded ! Or mix a 50/50 batch of E-85, and try tune 4 or 5...feels like an honest 80hp increase in certain RPM ranges, especially the low end power is far beyond what a normally aspirated V8 can deliver."

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Logan@Lethal
Hi, Lighting fast shipping, thanks. Will not install till I have more miles on the motor, I'm at 1,200 now will wait till the first oil change.

77Highboy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Jags, 2 Jeeps, Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I owe it to this community to give a review of the tune I chose. I looked at all of the ones available now and read everything I could and decided to go for the JB4 from Burger Motorsports thru Lethal Performance, and it is important to note Lethal Performance's role in this.

The tune came fast and easy. I bought the unit along with the Bluetooth attachment. Installation is easy but Burgers service sucks! They still haven't helped me and actually gave me the wrong info. Not a good start.

Once I thought it was installed (was told it was super easy), it threw a bunch of codes, check engine, and bad performance. I thought it was gas. Nope...

Joe from Lethal stepped in and immediately asked for pics of the install, finding the issue that I had. I am a normal guy. I love my Bronco. I'm not a mechanic but am mechanically inclined and not an idiot. In other words, I am quite capable. Joe instructed me that the factory plugs that you take out, needed to be installed into the 2nd plug from the new harness. Duh, and would have been big DUH, but Burger told me they are not needed and just to tie them off close by. NOT True! They have to be plugged in.

Immediately, this fixed all issues. I was able to connect to the app and my bronco started perfectly, with ZERO check engine or lights. It was perfect. So I said, Thanks Joe, I'm gonna go test it out.

Holy Bucking Bronco! I have only had it in Map 1... This is a new Bronco. In fact, it blew me away, and I have owned 2 Audi R8's, currently own an S6, and love speed. This Bronco came alive. No longer do you have the thought in the back of your mind, trying to convince yourself that it has enough power... It has power to spare and the strangest part is that it sounds like it has a new exhaust. Not loud, but burley nonetheless.

So, the last word is BUY the JB4! But buy it from Lethal Performance and use them for any questions. The install is easy. The results are ridiculous!

Next stop, a new exhaust and a bunch of @EIGHTLUG 's new products. Thank You @LethalPerformance

https://www.lethalperformance.com/burger-motorsports-jb4-tuner-2021-ford-bronco-bronco-sport.html

View attachment 246150
Great review; I talked with the guys at Lethal, very knowledgeable and helpful. From your research, curious, did you look at Panda and if so what swayed you to the JB4? It seems they both take the same plug and play approach, pre-built maps, CANBus interfaces, Bluetooth App, etc. Looking at Panda, their kit includes 1 step colder plugs. The guy I spoke with at Lethal recommended this also, but not part of the JB4 kit for whatever reason. I will go with one or the other for my 2.3L, TBDS (To Be Delivered Someday).

OP
OP
cf_davey

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great review; I talked with the guys at Lethal, very knowledgeable and helpful. From your research, curious, did you look at Panda and if so what swayed you to the JB4? It seems they both take the same plug and play approach, pre-built maps, CANBus interfaces, Bluetooth App, etc. Looking at Panda, their kit includes 1 step colder plugs. The guy I spoke with at Lethal recommended this also, but not part of the JB4 kit for whatever reason. I will go with one or the other for my 2.3L, TBDS (To Be Delivered Someday).
It could possibly be the preference between two similar products, meaning the rep at Lethal possibly had a preference. I don't know what "cold plugs" mean though? All I can say is how impressed I am with this for the past few days. It's incredible.

Sponsored

77Highboy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It could possibly be the preference between two similar products, meaning the rep at Lethal possibly had a preference. I don't know what "cold plugs" mean though? All I can say is how impressed I am with this for the past few days. It's incredible.
Great to hear its working out for you, on a 2.3L or 2.7? What they are saying about a 1 step colder plug is kind of a "best practice" to mitigate risk of the ignition being too hot given the extra boost conditions encountered. Seems like its a de-risk safety measure. Probably worth a call, see what they say. I got the impression its in the "prudent / recommended" category, probably depends on how you drive, octane level, and what map you run.

OP
OP
cf_davey

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great to hear its working out for you, on a 2.3L or 2.7? What they are saying about a 1 step colder plug is kind of a "best practice" to mitigate risk of the ignition being too hot given the extra boost conditions encountered. Seems like its a de-risk safety measure. Probably worth a call, see what they say. I got the impression its in the "prudent / recommended" category, probably depends on how you drive, octane level, and what map you run.
Mine is a 2.7L. I have it on Map 1 and likely will keep it here as it's substantially more powerful. If I ever try higher with higher octane it would be a one-off or rare occasion.

e90steve

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have a ton of experience with COBB and Burger JB4 tunes. Those are two of the best I would say. You are def going to see a huge bump in useable power. And the fun factor will be off the charts.

However, from experience, your turbo is going to wear out prematurely, fuel pump replacements are in your future and get ready to swap spark plugs and coil packs every 5-10k as well. If you're lucky you won't have to chase down boost leaks from the added pressure to the system.

Also, your engine is also probably going to run either a bit rich or lean, since the tune is generic for the vehicle engine. Rich or lean both have their own separate downfalls.

Plus your warranty is gone if Ford sniffs it out doing warranty work.

Is it worth the risk? For some it may be. If you don't plan on keeping the car more than 40-50k miles it probably won't be too much of a pain. But if you plan on keeping the car long term, I personally would avoid a tune.

77Highboy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a ton of experience with COBB and Burger JB4 tunes. Those are two of the best I would say. You are def going to see a huge bump in useable power. And the fun factor will be off the charts.

However, from experience, your turbo is going to wear out prematurely, fuel pump replacements are in your future and get ready to swap spark plugs and coil packs every 5-10k as well. If you're lucky you won't have to chase down boost leaks from the added pressure to the system.

Also, your engine is also probably going to run either a bit rich or lean, since the tune is generic for the vehicle engine. Rich or lean both have their own separate downfalls.

Plus your warranty is gone if Ford sniffs it out doing warranty work.

Is it worth the risk? For some it may be. If you don't plan on keeping the car more than 40-50k miles it probably won't be too much of a pain. But if you plan on keeping the car long term, I personally would avoid a tune.
Makes sense but sounds like a version of "your mileage may vary"; in other words, wouldn't you say the issues you raise would be dependent upon factors like fuel octane level, maps used, and driving conditions? Like weekend track days, mainstreet drag racing, or tearing through the wild with the turbo roaring, would obviously be much harder on the parts you mention. That said, if you aren't doing any of those things, I suppose one could then argue, why do it?

OP
OP
cf_davey

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Makes sense but sounds like a version of "your mileage may vary"; in other words, wouldn't you say the issues you raise would be dependent upon factors like fuel octane level, maps used, and driving conditions? Like weekend track days, mainstreet drag racing, or tearing through the wild with the turbo roaring, would obviously be much harder on the parts you mention. That said, if you aren't doing any of those things, I suppose one could then argue, why do it?
I mean, listen I’m not mechanic and have zero experience with tunes but… I have a hard time believing my wife’s grocery trips in the Bronco is going cause hectic problems. But what do I know. We are not rallying this thing. Hell, it won’t ever even see a normal car wash. Babies you might say.
Sponsored