Sponsored

JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE)

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Hey guys! Just wanted to update again. I am now at over 20k since I installed the JB4. Absolutely zero issues, very happy with this unit. I will install on the Raptor Bronco also, it’s worth it in my experience.

———————————————————————-

(10,000 miles UPDATE)
I have now put a tad bit over 10k miles on my 2.7 bronco with the JB4 unit installed. I am nothing but happy with my unit. Never have had any engine lights or issues to speak off. The power gains are not something I want to go without, I still have fun driving it. Might do WATER/METHANOL injection next for fun. I stand by my original review, and will update if I ever have an issue.

-------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I wanted to go ahead and share my review/opinion of the JB4 tuner on the 2.7 Bronco. My Bronco is a 4 door Badlands w/Sasquatch, LUX, and is overall going to be a pretty extensive build. This Bronco is officially named the “Buck-Wild Bronco”, and will live up to the name. The engine will ultimately have a lot of performance mods done to it, but the engine was not the priority right now. This rig is ultimately a vehicle for vendors and my own accessories to be used and abused on. There will be many more posts about this Bronco but I wanted to start with a review of the JB4 install and real world experience.

DISCLAIMER: I reached out to Burger Tuning to see if they wanted to be part of this build. HOWEVER, my review is 100% honest and our agreement was that I could be 100% honest about the JB4. I contacted them because I believe in supporting USA made products and companies. I found them to be a company that I would be proud to support.

The TUNER: I want to start with the basics of what this tuner IS and is NOT. The JB4 works by tricking the computer into providing more power, it does this by piggybacking two sensors. This has both benefits and drawbacks. The biggest benefit is that you do not alter the OEM computer programming and essentially you are untraceable. You are also not VIN locked on this system and you could swap it to another vehicle if you trade in. The system also does not override the OEM safety programming, so you are not pushing the vehicle past the limits. Now the drawbacks of a piggyback tuner… It doesn’t control your transmission shifting, and it can’t override your OEM safety programming. But wait, didn’t I say that the fact it cannot override the safety limits was a good thing? Yes, it really is a good thing, unless you are planning to modify and improve the other weak areas of the drivetrain… You just need to know what your goal is.

The INSTALL: The JB4 came nicely packaged and the unit itself is very premium feeling. There are two sensor connections that you disconnect from the sensor, plug into the JB4 harness, and then plug the other JB4 wires into the OEM sensors. There is also an OBDII plug that must be run through the fire wall (see photos) but ford gave us a VERY easy access to run into the cab. I also opted for the bluetooth control, which plugs into the JB4 brain. I wanted the install the look factory, but I also did not want to place any screw holes in my Bronco. I HIGHLY suggest using double sided automotive 3m or gorilla tape, and grab a package of small black zip ties also. This makes the install a breeze, as in a 15min walk in the park. Please see attached photos for how / where I installed my unit. Overall I give this an A+ on ease of install.

The REVIEW: I think I should start by saying that I installed the unit, drove around, played with the different MAP’s and proceeded to grin as I was enjoying my bronco much more than before. I want to get something stated early on, the best gains are not felt from 0-15mph, this is because of the limitations of the JB4, remember it cannot overstep the factory safety net. Ford SEVERELY reduces the torque that can be applied to the wheels on a launch. This is because FORD doesn’t want to be paying for warranty claims when people fry their transmission from massive torque in a low gear. YES, I know we didn’t get the more robust 10r80 from the f150, I am still mad about that also… BACK to the review. Once you are driving around and using your vehicle like a normal person, the JB4 really shines. Passing, merging, and acceleration in general is greatly improved. It is a very noticeable improvement and I am still enjoying the bronco more because of this. My wife (not a car person) noticed immediately that the Bronco had increased power. She was missing the power and nimble feeling of the Taurus SHO that we recently sold, however she really enjoys the Bronco's "zippy" feeling now.

The VERDICT: Know what your goals are, if you want a solid improvement over stock, without hard flashing your factory computer, this is a fantastic improvement. If you want more extreme performance and are willing to risk powertrain damage (if you don’t upgrade the appropriate parts like a built transmission) than this isn’t for you. I can tell you with honestly that I am very content with this unit until my engine and transmission are built to appropriately handle the power I want. After having the JB4 installed, I really cannot go back to stock. I think that the JB4 is a great buy for 90% of people who want more power, without the costs of building a more robust powertrain. For those 90%, I give this unit an A+ and highly recommend.

PS: I didn’t do dyno runs, I highly suggest that you watch the LETHAL PERFORMANCE video that they posted about dyno results. Spoiler alert, it adds solid HP and torque. That Video is here!
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...bronco-2-7l-here-at-lethal-performance.36169/

Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00278.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00285.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00286.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00289.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00279.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00280.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00281.JPG
Ford Bronco JB4 Tuner Review/Install (10,000mile UPDATE) DSC00282.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll install mine as soon as it arrives, I had the same tuner on my 2.0L Jeep JL and it woke that engine up a great deal. Thanks for the detailed write-up and review!

R11

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.basequatch.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there a meaningful difference between that “zip” and just using Sport?

BoMiltenberger

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the review! Any benefits of mounting where you did vs on the fuse box like lethal did Or just preference?

NoaWhay

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Nice review!

I also have a pending JB4 install and will plan on doing a review as well, with some dragy measurements as well. Likely a 'rolling start' acceleration test, since as you mentioned, Ford limits the heck out of the standing start torque on these trucks.

I also wondered if you had added "Sport Mode' to your Badlands through Forscan, as that seems to liven up the shift points and reduce the initial torque limiting a fair bit. I think a combo of the JB4 plus Sport begins to show what this drivetrain is really capable of without going to a full ECU tune.

Sponsored

BoMiltenberger

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice review!

I also have a pending JB4 install and will plan on doing a review as well, with some dragy measurements as well. Likely a 'rolling start' acceleration test, since as you mentioned, Ford limits the heck out of the standing start torque on these trucks.

I also wondered if you had added "Sport Mode' to your Badlands through Forscan, as that seems to liven up the shift points and reduce the initial torque limiting a fair bit. I think a combo of the JB4 plus Sport begins to show what this drivetrain is really capable of without going to a full ECU tune.
I’ve been hearing conflicting things on warranties and sport mode through Forscan. Any insight into that? I’d be happy to test out the combo here shortly.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'll install mine as soon as it arrives, I had the same tuner on my 2.0L Jeep JL and it woke that engine up a great deal. Thanks for the detailed write-up and review!
It’s worth it no doubt! Much more enjoyable to drive!

Reactions: 1IH
OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Is there a meaningful difference between that “zip” and just using Sport?
Yes, sport mode does not add power, it only increases the pedal sensitivity and shifting strategy. I much prefer to drive in sport mode with the JB4 installed!

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice review!

I absolutely did add sport mode. It’s insane just how much Ford limits the early torque. I drive in “Map3” in sport mode on a regular basis. Eventually I will have to move on to a new tuner, but only because of the major engine mods. I’ll enjoy this greatly until that time.

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’ve been hearing conflicting things on warranties and sport mode through Forscan. Any insight into that? I’d be happy to test out the combo here shortly.
vehicles should always be returned to stock before warranty work. However, Ford would have to prove that their own settings caused the damage, which sounds like it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Sponsored

BoMiltenberger

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 BL Lux Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

vehicles should always be returned to stock before warranty work. However, Ford would have to prove that their own settings caused the damage, which sounds like it would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Agreed. Does it flash anything after you remove it?

OP
OP
BuckWildOffRoad

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Agreed. Does it flash anything after you remove it?
The JB4 never leaves a trace if you remove it because it never installs anything. The forscan mods should be set back to stock and nobody should be the wiser because it’s just the stock ford system.

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great review! The JB4 is legit and worked just as advertised when we installed and tested it on my friends first edition.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

JB4 tuners are great. Had one on an infiniti q60 3.0tt. With the JB4 and intakes it gained about 70whp. Took about 20min to install. Can be removed even quicker if the car has to go in for warranty and is undetectable.

cf_davey

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber truck
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great review! The JB4 is legit and worked just as advertised when we installed and tested it on my friends first edition.
It works except for the fact that Burger customer service sucks! My BT isn't working any longer. I have it installed almost exactly the same as you do, with the box being 3m'd to the metal. BT worked for a month and now doesn't find anything.

You can't call it customer service if you can't even call them and have an actual conversation with a live human. This is an epic fail!

Otherwise, I agree with the review. The results are great. I just can't change the map now. So stuck in Map 1, which isn't the end of the world.
Sponsored