Sponsored

JB4 vs Ford Performance Tune for 2.3L Bronco ?

FrankieTrey

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend - 4dr - Carbonized - 2.3 - Manual - Tow
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a Big Bend non-sas, 2.3L manual transmission with 4.46 ratio. I lifted it 2 inches and added 35s. It’s sluggish in 1st and 2nd. Which tune would give the most change in performance?

I am not concerned about the Warrenty.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The JB4 will see higher gains than the Ford Performance cal. On the flip side the Ford Performance cal does give you the ability to re-calibrate the speedo for the 35's you put on your Bronco.

Both are great products. Just depends what means more to you. Since you said you really don't care about your warranty and just want to make more power I'd day the JB4 is what you'll want.

We have plenty of them in stock so feel free to give us a shout if you have any other questions or need help placing an order.

Thanks!
https://www.lethalperformance.com/burger-motorsports-jb4-tuner-2021-ford-bronco-2-3l-2-7l.html
mance-tuner_bc997fae-c4f5-4c91-9d23-68de3fabfc0d_2.jpg

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you don't care about the warranty, get a custom tune. The Ford Performance tune is going to be extremely conservative. The JB4 just fools the computer to make more boost. Take a look at the Whipple tune.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The JB4 is what I'm planning on doing. I want to have the gauges, easy logging, easy firmware upgrades, map switching etc. The jb4 has the canbus interface so its reading tons of engine data and will work very well, otherwise I'd probably suggest a flash. I've been running JB4's on several vehicles for many years without issue and the gains are greater than the Ford tune.

CyberOrangeBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious does any tune other than the Ford Performance one currently offer Rev matched downshifting for the manual transmission?

Sponsored
OP
OP

FrankieTrey

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend - 4dr - Carbonized - 2.3 - Manual - Tow
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is a total newb question but how do I get a custom tune for the JB4?

If you don't care about the warranty, get a custom tune. The Ford Performance tune is going to be extremely conservative. The JB4 just fools the computer to make more boost. Take a look at the Whipple tune.

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m on the same boat as you as far as making a final decision. I have a 2.3L auto with sas package, so I already have the 35” tires along with the 4.7 gear ratio. So the value for me comes in keeping the warranty, which I don’t mind if getting a piggy back system in the JB4, the shift schedule, which lethal told me FP said it does change even from a sas package, and of course the actual HP and TQ. It’s something I’m going to have to think about before I finally pull the trigger. Also have been thinking of adding both for some serious power…but I’ll wait until someone else tests that out before doing it myself 🤣

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Depends which one raises the boost in lower gears, stock tune neuters my temporary auto bronco. It makes like 5psi in 1st and adds a couple more every gear. Idk if jb4 makes it 20+psi in all gears or just adds a couple on top of stock everywhere. I didn’t get on it in the stock badlands I test drove and don’t have a vin on my ordered one yet. Can someone tell us how much boost they make in 1st 2nd 3rd etc please?

tjparisi

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4D 7M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is/will the JB4 be compatible with vehicles that have the Ford perf calibration? I already have the JB4 (thanks lethal), but interested in the rev matching with the Ford performance tune. Also curious if the JB4 will eventually be updated to work better with the expanded factory parameters.

Sponsored

Silence

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ordered Ford Performance. Neither tune is pulling major power and like the ease of install and not having to worry about pulling it when serviced. Was waiting on Cobb but seems they are way off on any product hitting market.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

30 hp and 60 pounds-ft and ability to , for extra cost, upgrade to 4.70 gears and 37 inch rubber. Price is $825 plus install (Ford)

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Curious does any tune other than the Ford Performance one currently offer Rev matched downshifting for the manual transmission?
There's currently no other options for the 7MT owners to have rev matching other than the Ford Performance cal. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's currently no other options for the 7MT owners to have rev matching other than the Ford Performance cal. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
Can anyone confirm that the rev match feature can be turned off for those of us who know how and prefer to do it ourselves?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ordered Ford Performance. Neither tune is pulling major power and like the ease of install and not having to worry about pulling it when serviced. Was waiting on Cobb but seems they are way off on any product hitting market.
I will probably go with the FP tune for a couple of years, under warranty and see what happens with tuning on these with downpipes, intercoolers, injectors, E85, etc. I think + 80-100 whp and Torque would be nice 👍 on stock turbo.

I was waiting on Cobb as well, having used their accessports, etc on my turbo Subarus For like 15 years. A lot of these aftermarket companies have been beat up by emissions restrictions and no longer offer the wide range of parts or tuning that they once did. Cobb got rid of Flexfuel kits for Subarus and not making downpipes for newer Models.
Sponsored