Sponsored

JBL Sound Bar accessory review / impressions?

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What interests me in the accessories market is a means to attach wakeboard speakers via a (better designed) bar than in the picture. My thinking is a bar that attaches to the speaker pod points, extends in about 5 inches on either side, then bends upward to fit flush with the roof bar. That way you could mount two 6" pods (or a 6x9, oriented vertically.) You wouldn't lose much visibility in this setup. This would be a great product for a company like Rockville to develops. They make cast aluminum wakeboard pods for aftermarket speakers.
This soundbar also separates into 2 sections, so possibly could be mounted differently.
Sponsored

B33001

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be nice if they could break it into two different speakers located on each side of the rear pillar similar to how boat speakers are mounted. Hopefully the aftermarket can come up with a solution to this. That fat bigass bar blocks too much visibility IMO
JBL web page says that speaker does split in two

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This soundbar also separates into 2 sections, so possibly could be mounted differently.
I think the issue is how you mount the separated speakers. They are running a bar that is anchored into the (removed) rear speaker pod mounts. The speaker soundbar attaches to this bar via some clips. Here's a screenshot of Mitchell Watt's install. (lower picture). A different mounting method would be necessary. More importantly, this is designed to be a low profile, wide setup. Vertically mounting the separated halves would probably not look good. IMHO this is a half-baked design. A better option would be replacement pods on the left and right. Same acoustic concept with a much cleaner look. The picture above is a pair of MB Quart Marine Grade wakeboard speakers. 92 SPL to make the most of the factory amplification 6.5" woofers actually give you more woofer surface than the four 4" speakers in the JBL. I think this would be a much cleaner look without sacrificing rear visibility. 279.99 at Crutchfield. All we need is an aftermarket supplier to develop a mounting adapter. Note: the mounting adapter is important, You don't want 65 MPH missiles flying at your head in a highway accident! This type of speaker placement has been done on Jeeps for years.
Ford Bronco JBL Sound Bar accessory review / impressions? g049T1C116B-F

Ford Bronco JBL Sound Bar accessory review / impressions? Mitchell Watts JBL Soundbar

mbagne

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the issue is how you mount the separated speakers. They are running a bar that is anchored into the (removed) rear speaker pod mounts. The speaker soundbar attaches to this bar via some clips. Here's a screenshot of Mitchell Watt's install. (lower picture). A different mounting method would be necessary. More importantly, this is designed to be a low profile, wide setup. Vertically mounting the separated halves would probably not look good. IMHO this is a half-baked design. A better option would be replacement pods on the left and right. Same acoustic concept with a much cleaner look. The picture above is a pair of MB Quart Marine Grade wakeboard speakers. 92 SPL to make the most of the factory amplification 6.5" woofers actually give you more woofer surface than the four 4" speakers in the JBL. I think this would be a much cleaner look without sacrificing rear visibility. 279.99 at Crutchfield. All we need is an aftermarket supplier to develop a mounting adapter. Note: the mounting adapter is important, You don't want 65 MPH missiles flying at your head in a highway accident! This type of speaker placement has been done on Jeeps for years.
Ford Bronco JBL Sound Bar accessory review / impressions? Mitchell Watts JBL Soundbar

I really like where you are going with this, agreed! Right now a custom installation using the speakers you have noted (MB Quart) would be required until an aftermarket supplier somewhere comes up with with a kit for self-installation. I really do think this is the way to go and I imagine that a supplier will jump into this option. As much as I like JBL, and as much as I think that "an automobile is only as good as its stereo", the greatly reduced visibility with the JBL sound bar is not an option for me (and probably for most people).

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Very true, but a custom shop would likely be able to fabricate a wake bar to allow different placement.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
the greatly reduced visibility with the JBL sound bar is not an option for me (and probably for most people).
Not sure if the Bronco has the self dimming rearview mirror like my Edge ST had as well as my current vehicle. They stay dark and you can't see much out of them anyway. According to Mitchell Watts, the soft top blocks the entire rear view when fully lowered. In that case, a lot of owners will need to get used to the side mirrors and BLIS.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is a rear camera as well.

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man. Having a hard time finding the ISD steps shown in the video. JBL has no idea what I am talking about and Ford dealer has no idea what I am talking about :)

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

There is a rear camera as well.
So the rear camera can be engaged while driving? If not, it should be. Why is it such a bad idea? Its basically the same as a rear-view mirror

MegKendrick

Outer Banks
First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have purchased it, but don't have my Bronco yet to give you a review. I did watch a Youtube from a ford tech that shows the install- it replaces the rear box speakers and is hardwired and then programed into your system. It is not bluetooth from what I take away from the YouTube install

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I have purchased it, but don't have my Bronco yet to give you a review. I did watch a Youtube from a ford tech that shows the install- it replaces the rear box speakers and is hardwired and then programed into your system. It is not bluetooth from what I take away from the YouTube install
it looks like they are flashing the eprom on the soundbar to make it work with the Ford sound system. I am torn on this. I test-drove one with it (it sounded great!), while it blocked the rear view pretty badly, I didn't really care because I was so gigged about driving a Bronco and I'm used to packing my SUV up for trips and only having side-mirrors, plus I want to drive with the top down a lot and figure its no worse than what we'll get with that. Someone needs a hack to make the rear-view camera stay on when you're driving.

PapaWE

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 Chevy K2500, 07 HD Nightrain
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it looks like they are flashing the eprom on the soundbar to make it work with the Ford sound system. I am torn on this. I test-drove one with it (it sounded great!), while it blocked the rear view pretty badly, I didn't really care because I was so gigged about driving a Bronco and I'm used to packing my SUV up for trips and only having side-mirrors, plus I want to drive with the top down a lot and figure its no worse than what we'll get with that. Someone needs a hack to make the rear-view camera stay on when you're driving.
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES , So much YES. I remember for my 2010 F150 you could get a module from places like Crutchfield that you could use the rear camera anytime. It cost 250 dollars so I never did it. However, what a great option for people that pack to the ceiling. Can't be any more dangerous than glancing at the rearview mirror. People with larger RV's and trailers do it all the time
Sponsored