First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So after waiting 2 years and almost 6 months for my “built” Bronco to be actually delivered…I am finally able to personally decide which is better? Ford Bronco or Jeep Rubicon 392…

Ford Bronco Jeep 392 vs Bronco Wildtrak - Double Owner Impressions / Review 3c659110-e373-4444-ad35-8beaf5023764-jpe

I have driven my Jeep 392 almost 9,000 miles and my Bronco Wildtrak @ 600 miles(it’s not broken in yet …). My review will be added over the next few weeks …stay tuned. My initial impression is the Bronco with a V8 or even the 2021 Ford Raptor 3.5 motor would be an easy winner…but that could change. I have driven my 2021 Ford raptor w 37 package @ 9,000 miles …so I know that motor pretty well.

Stay Tuned …more to follow !!!

UPDATES:

First Impressions : I have @ 1000 miles logged on the Bronco now...So its broken in a bit....motor, suspension, brakes,etc...

The RIde (Suspension, braking, exhaust, transmission, Handling)

Jeep Purchase price $82K
Bronco Purchase Price $58K (advantage Bronco)

Suspension: Advantage Jeep 392---The Bronco suspension is a little harsh---not obnoxious---but the spring rates are set firmer than the 392...The 392's fox shocks are suprisingly plush and very comfortable on and off road. I was hoping the Wildtrak would have a suspension similiar to the Raptor...more Baja mode...I know that is not its primary purpose ---but I was hoping for a plush ride with lots of wheel travel....On smoother roads...the firmer suspension of the Bronco pays huge dividends. Maybe a coil over suspension mod wil address to meet my liking....tbd.

Braking: Advatage Bronco---Not even close here...The Bronco has much better pedal feel and stops easily --straight as an arrow ---The Jeep brakes are fine but definitely dont inspire confidence---not unsafe but definitely not straight either. The Jeep is ridiculously fast so at sane speeds, the brakes are fine....

Exhaust: Jeep wins easliy here...The Bronco sounds like a car....the motor sounds agricultural as it revsvs...which is doesnt have to off road...so it works ...but it sounds like crap. The Gen 3 raptor exhaust sounds pretty good and it grows on you....I was hoping Ford would put the Gen 3 raptor motor in the Bronco Raptor...no dice. Exercising your right foot in the Jeep is great (the V8 sounds wonderful and factory exhaust is perfect...how is it available from the manufacturer? Im glad it is)

Transmission: Advantage Jeep---The ZF 8 Speed in the Jeep is tuned perfectly...it never misses a beat or misses a shift...The Bronco transmission isn't bad, but occasionally it misses an upshift or is slow to respond. It reminds me of the tuning in my old gen 2 raptor...that transmission needed a tune to work properly...The Gen 3 raptor transmission is just about perfect ...so maybe Ford can program or COBB can flash a better tuning strategy?

Handling: Major Advantage Bronco!!! The Jeep does not handle...it is like driving a boat...you just point it in the general direction and keep giving constant steering inputs to maintain a straightline. It doesn't bother me but it takes constant effort and attention to drive at speeds over 55MPH....The Bronco has better steering handling response than a Merc Gwagon--which also has an independent front suspension ....The Bronco is effortless on the freeway and on the dirt ...Offf...fire roads @35-45mph are piece of cake.

It looks like a tie regarding initial impressions only...I am going to do more driving and provide some more feedack. Areas like build qulality and interior/exterior fit finish are areas will be next...Cheers

Love to hear your thoughts on the 2.7.
I just hit hit 1K miles so I was easy on the throttle duering break-in...Im old school so I do break-in on new vehicles.

The 2.7 motor doesn't feel much different from 5-25mph verus the 2.4 (4) ----The four cyliber is a little livelier off the line but the 2.7 pulls ahead after 20-23 mph. The 2.7 motor is plenty strong ...great torque...but the transmission seems like it needs some better programming to surf the wave of torque on the road...off-road...the motor and tranny work together very well. The 2.7 does its job quite well...the 2.3 does as well...I've driven a lightly modded 2.3 that drove a little better than the stock 2.7 ...maybe save some bucks and get the four and spend some $ on a good tune??? Then you can get the manual and really enjoy some off-roading. This version of the 2.7 doesn't seem as smooth or as powerful as what is offered in the F150 2.7....I like the 2.7....but I don't love it....i'll give it a 7.5 ...room for improvement for on-road behavior (which may be more transmission tuning related)--Off-Road the motor is great !!!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Shamalama86

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So after waiting 2 years and almost 6 months for my “built” Bronco to be actually delivered…I am finally able to personally decide which is better? Ford Bronco or Jeep Rubicon 392…

I have driven my Jeep 392 almost 9,000 miles and my Bronco Wildtrak @ 600 miles(it’s not broken in yet …). My review will be added over the next few weeks …stay tuned. My initial impression is the Bronco with a V8 or even the 2021 Ford Raptor 3.5 motor would be an easy winner…but that could change. I have driven my 2021 Ford raptor w 37 package @ 9,000 miles …so I know that motor pretty well.

Stay Tuned …more to follow !!!
Lol change the title! I was interested i. The answer

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since you have both, are the hinges the same distance apart?

I.e. would jeep door storage carts work?

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This comes to mind.

Ford Bronco Jeep 392 vs Bronco Wildtrak - Double Owner Impressions / Review 1651432526511

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021WILDTRAKCDH

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I will be amazed if you tell us Bronco owners the Jeep is better😳. Can’t see it and yeh ok the 392 I have owned a ton of them and there nice. But the Jeep ride, handling, interior, suspension, removable tops, Technology….etc just can’t see Jeep being the better of the two. And would love to see a tow video since I made one 😁

Sponsored
OP
OP
2021WILDTRAKCDH

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First Impressions : I have @ 1000 miles logged on the Bronco now...So its broken in a bit....motor, suspension, brakes,etc...
The RIde (Suspension, braking, exhaust, transmission, Handling)

Jeep Purchase price $82K
Bronco Purchase Price $58K (advantage Bronco)

Suspension: Advantage Jeep 392---The Bronco suspension is a little harsh---not obnoxious---but the spring rates are set firmer than the 392...The 392's fox shocks are suprisingly plush and very comfortable on and off road. I was hoping the Wildtrak would have a suspension similiar to the Raptor...more Baja mode...I know that is not its primary purpose ---but I was hoping for a plush ride with lots of wheel travel....On smoother roads...the firmer suspension of the Bronco pays huge dividends. Maybe a coil over suspension mod wil address to meet my liking....tbd.

Braking: Advatage Bronco---Not even close here...The Bronco has much better pedal feel and stops easily --straight as an arrow ---The Jeep brakes are fine but definitely dont inspire confidence---not unsafe but definitely not straight either. The Jeep is ridiculously fast so at sane speeds, the brakes are fine....

Exhaust: Jeep wins easliy here...The Bronco sounds like a car....the motor sounds agricultural as it revsvs...which is doesnt have to off road...so it works ...but it sounds like crap. The Gen 3 raptor exhaust sounds pretty good and it grows on you....I was hoping Ford would put the Gen 3 raptor motor in the Bronco Raptor...no dice. Exercising your right foot in the Jeep is great (the V8 sounds wonderful and factory exhaust is perfect...how is it available from the manufacturer? Im glad it is)

Transmission: Advantage Jeep---The ZF 8 Speed in the Jeep is tuned perfectly...it never misses a beat or misses a shift...The Bronco transmission isn't bad, but occasionally it misses an upshift or is slow to respond. It reminds me of the tuning in my old gen 2 raptor...that transmission needed a tune to work properly...The Gen 3 raptor transmission is just about perfect ...so maybe Ford can program or COBB can flash a better tuning strategy?

Handling: Major Advantage Bronco!!! The Jeep does not handle...it is like driving a boat...you just point it in the general direction and keep giving constant steering inputs to maintain a straightline. It doesn't bother me but it takes constant effort and attention to drive at speeds over 55MPH....The Bronco has better steering handling response than a Merc Gwagon--which also has an independent front suspension ....The Bronco is effortless on the freeway and on the dirt ...Offf...fire roads @35-45mph are piece of cake.

It looks like a tie regarding initial impressions only...I am going to do more driving and provide some more feedack. Areas like build qulality and interior/exterior fit finish are areas will be next...Cheers

OP
OP
2021WILDTRAKCDH

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good for you man. Rather hear about your Rivian than the 392 though. Waiting on mine but got the max pack so gotta sit tight until next year.
The Rivian is something else...Really amazing how much it can do ....it's like a luxury sedan meets a truck. AT$78k...it is a miracle...The new price is closer to $98k...It is still incredible but price does matter. I've only done one easy trail camping trip in it ...but off-road and on road it is a quantum leap forward. Big Issue --It weighs @7,000 pounds and off road range and towing range are hurdles ...you cannot taka a couple jerry cans of fuel ...like any ICE vehicle and basically go anywhere off-road....Distance and weight are the only negatives so far...Once some charging stations open up near trails it should get better ...but it weighs alot and I would not take in to Tahoe / Rubicon for a 3 day weekend trip....The off-road capabilities are not an issue...range and refueling are....I also believe the bodywork of Rivian wouldn't survive...it needs slide rails---to really be off-road capable imo...Cheers .

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Love to hear your thoughts on the 2.7.
Sponsored