Sponsored

Jeep 4xe hybrid in showrooms December ----Ford Where Is Our Hybrid Bronco ? ? ? ?

ItsAfram

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question is how much is a replacement battery? How often do I have to replace said battery? And to all the greenies out there how much pollutions to make said battery as well as recycling it if they can? In the end would it be cost effective. I have never owned a hybrid or electric vehicle.
I know Toyota and (I believe) Mitsubishi offer 8 year / 100k mile warranties on their batteries.
Ford Bronco Jeep 4xe hybrid in showrooms December ----Ford Where Is Our Hybrid Bronco ? ? ? ? Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.13.06 AM
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My question is how much is a replacement battery?
Not that much.

How often do I have to replace said battery?
Likely never.

And to all the greenies out there how much pollutions to make said battery
Some. And depending on what report you read, battery production may actually generate more emissions than the electric car saves over a reasonably efficient gas-powered vehicle. One advantage of this, though, is concentrating emissions elsewhere. If you can have a battery produced in a remote industrial area and 50,000 cars in the city producing no emissions, that's a net positive change as you take smog away from where people are concentrated.

as well as recycling it if they can?
Yes, up to 100% of the lithium in the battery can be recovered. The packs can also be repurposed in places where the capacity per weight isn't vital like it is in a car. You could use a bank of used car batteries as a battery backup system in a home with wind or solar power, for example. There's lots and lots out there to read, just make sure you check your sources.

In the end would it be cost effective. I have never owned a hybrid or electric vehicle.
Depends on what "cost effective" means. I could sell my current car and for the same price buy a used Chevy Volt and save $100/month on gas. That'd be cost effective. Buying a brand new top-model Tesla for $120,000 would be less cost effective.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PHEVs don't have the same size battery as a full electric car (and they don't need to). The average PHEV can do 21 miles in pure electric mode. The best is the Honda Clarity PHEV at 47 miles.

But the point of a PHEV isn't its all-electric mileage, so ragging on that doesn't make any sense. The primary purpose is better gas mpg. All-electric range is just a bonus.

However, for those with a commute under the limit of the all electric range, it's a huge bonus. The average commute in America is 16 miles each way. If your PHEV electric range is 35 miles, you could conceivably do your daily driving on pure electric power (I'd personally save $100/month in gas costs if I was able to do this). But when you want to go further, the gas engine is there.
Nailed it! I usually commute less than 10 miles round trip(pre-pandemic before going full WFH). That means 2 days of commuting before recharging and that means I'd barely use any gas Monday-Friday.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow doesn’t seem like this would be cost effective to most consumers. It wouldn’t be beneficial to me right now as I don’t do overland much. Not going to the pump that often is nice for sure.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow doesn’t seem like this would be cost effective to most consumers. It wouldn’t be beneficial to me right now as I don’t do overland much. Not going to the pump that often is nice for sure.
The average commute distance ( depending on source ) seems to average somewhere between 16-20 miles. That means most people could do a one way trip without gassing up. Charge the car during the workday and you could commute home all electric.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not going to the pump as often is as simple as adding a 30 gallon auxiliary tank.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If Ford built a 1976 Bronco PHEV alongside the actual production 1976 Bronco. Which do you believe would be more desirable today?

undesirable products do not hold their value well.

Compare a 2002 Wrangler to a 2002 Chrysler town and country.

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Agree. It's time. But innovation is hard. Easier to refine an existing model to a hybrid, than design from the ground up. They have a hole in the lineup to patch. And they will.
Nothing is ever easier to retrofit versus a clean sheet design.

JK

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The PHEV, since it's from an alternate history future-past
You can find several touch screen radios from the 80s, like a theoretical PHEV it would take an extremely dedicated enthusiast to choose it over the more appealing versions lacking either option.

Sponsored

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly, my biggest disappointment in all of this is that they are not offering some form of hybrid as an option at launch for the Bronco. So much so that I've thought about cancelling my reservation and waiting for the hybrid option to be offered (rumor is within 1-2 years?).

After looking into the 4xe, I have no temptation to switch to it for the PHEV option alone. I don't want a Wrangler... I want the Bronco. I'll probably go ahead with my launch Bronco without the hybrid option because I really don't want to wait another 1-2 years for this option alone.
Ford designed the Bronco with hybrid in mind from the very beginning. Jeep meanwhile is having to work "hybrid" into an existing design with all the compromises that entails.

It makes sense that Ford would release the traditional Bronco first...that's where the money is. Of all the vehicles offered for sale with both a standard and a hybrid drivetrain, which one outsells the other?

Remember the initial market that Ford is targeting...they want to get this right. There's a proper time to introduce a hybrid and odds are, it will be worth the wait.

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
PHEVs don't have the same size battery as a full electric car (and they don't need to). The average PHEV can do 21 miles in pure electric mode. The best is the Honda Clarity PHEV at 47 miles.

But the point of a PHEV isn't its all-electric mileage, so ragging on that doesn't make any sense. The primary purpose is better gas mpg. All-electric range is just a bonus.

However, for those with a commute under the limit of the all electric range, it's a huge bonus. The average commute in America is 16 miles each way. If your PHEV electric range is 35 miles, you could conceivably do your daily driving on pure electric power (I'd personally save $100/month in gas costs if I was able to do this). But when you want to go further, the gas engine is there.
Go look up the mpg and come back and tell me if it's good. I stand by my point even with the phev it still sucks on mpg. It is a gimmick.

SoccerDude

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Let's be honest also the Jeep hybrid is a joke when it comes to electric. Not sure how you can even get the tax break. On fully electric mood it gets less then 50 miles. Not sure how that classifies as electric. Pretty sure my daughter's power wheel can get 50 miles. And it's a Jeep Wrangler power wheel... I don't hold it against to much though.

Ford Bronco Jeep 4xe hybrid in showrooms December ----Ford Where Is Our Hybrid Bronco ? ? ? ? Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 11.13.06 AM
You upgraded that thing to 24V, Right?
Sponsored