Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeep CEO's Response To Ford Bronco's Roof Problem Is Epic

CarBuzz, 9/26/2021, by Jay Traugott in Off-Road

Consider it as some friendly rivalry.

The first batch of Ford Bronco owners began noticing the problem almost immediately after taking delivery. Due to a lack of quality control with the molded-in-color hardtop roof, the Blue Oval is replacing every single SUV's roof free of charge. There are no problems with the soft top. Unfortunately, this process will cause further delivery delays but Ford is no doubt doing the right thing. The roof's functionality is unaffected but there is an "unsatisfactory appearance when exposed to extreme water and humidity."

Cross-town rival Jeep, who's been closely monitoring Bronco sales and studying the vehicle itself, is always game for fresh competition.

Jeep CEO Jim Morrison relishes a good fight but also the chance to poke fun at a competitor. Speaking to The Detroit News at a recent event sponsored by Jeep, the executive had this to say regarding the Bronco's roof issue: "It's going to rain on Saturday, so I don't think there will be any Broncos here this weekend."

Remember, it's all friendly competition, but still competition nonetheless. Morrison further pointed out that even after the Bronco Sport was launched last year problem-free, its Jeep Wrangler rival has since still managed to achieve three consecutive business quarters of record sales. Last May was the SUV's best month ever thanks mainly to the now sold-out Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid variant.

An all-electric Wrangler is due by 2025. "For me, the proof for the strength of the Jeep brand is in the results of the sales it keeps kicking out and more importantly, the passion of our customers that keep staying true to the brand," Morrison said.

And like both Ford and General Motors, Stellantis has been facing supply problems due to the seemingly never-ending semiconductor chip crisis. Morrison said the company's "supply-chain people [are] working around the clock" to keep production moving along. What we're anxiously waiting to do is a head-to-head Wrangler vs. Bronco off-road matchup. That's where things will be truly decided.
Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah Ford is generally way ahead of Jeep in the annual JDPowers report, but there have been a lot of Bronco hard top problems so far. Just read the Motortrend review of the new Bronco vs the Wrangler, they were very, very critical of the Bronco hard top, and in the end judged the Wrangler better overall. Luckily for me I still need a truck; my current 17' Tacoma for the next year and a half or so. If Ford still hasn't straightened out their problems by then I'll get something else.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah Ford is generally way ahead of Jeep in the annual JDPowers report, but there have been a lot of Bronco hard top problems so far. Just read the Motortrend review of the new Bronco vs the Wrangler, they were very, very critical of the Bronco hard top, and in the end judged the Wrangler better overall. Luckily for me I still need a truck; my current 17' Tacoma for the next year and a half or so. If Ford still hasn't straightened out their problems by then I'll get something else.
Well if motortrend said itā€™s betterā€¦.. I love car magazines but past the instrumented testing itā€™s only an opinion.

Sponsored

Raptor.Tremor.Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak, 2014 Raptor, 2020 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do I need to remind everyone that many automotive news sources are paid by FCA/Stellantis. They are in absolutely every body's pockets including motortrend which seems to be the clearest example.

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do I need to remind everyone that many automotive news sources are paid by FCA/Stellantis. They are in absolutely every body's pockets including motortrend which seems to be the clearest example.
THIS!

You can tell who paid the most each year by who wins vehicle of the year...

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This seems like a bold claim but if you load up motortrend.com right now the cover page goes to the Bronco Sport vs. Jeep Wrangler vs. Subaru Outback Wilderness vs. Rav4 comparison where the Bronco Sport beats the Wrangler

Do you have any specific examples where a FCA product beat the competition unexpectedly where you can cite to FCA buying the results?

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Jeep commenting on Ford quality? That's the pot calling the kettle black.
Hey - no escaping it - deservedly so in this case.

Noticed a lot of Jeeps with painted roofs driving around this weekend, and Ford can't even get the MIC out in volume / are two years away from painted which has compromised or delayed several models.

While we're at it the article was being nice about the soft top, which looks wavy.

brian_ssm

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150, Pontiac Trans Am
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Alot of hardtop problems? Isn't it one hardtop problem on pretty much all of them?? Supply chain isn't really a quality issue so I don't count that, just the 'honeycombing' that appears in the roof (which by the way has just started to appear on mine after 2 months of owning it). I'm not sure 1 problem on all the roofs qualifies as alot of problems. It's just one issue appearing on them all which they rightly recalled before it got out of hand.

Skmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Jaguar F-TYPE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But theyre not in Fords?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Even Jim Farley admits Ford is behind in quality.

Ford CEO Farley Wants to Make Quality Job 1 Again

Ford Bronco Jeep CEO's Response To Ford Bronco's Roof Problem Is Epic Screenshot_20210925-200158_Chrome
Sponsored