First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi, I test drove a new JLU Willys yesterday and had perhaps the worst experience there I've had. Bang for the buck, it appears that the Willys may be a better fit for me, sad as it is. (I never thought the idea of getting a nice new Jeep as a second choice would be unfortunate. Hey, nice to have a first world problem I guess).

Does anyone have an salespeople they trust in Houston or Texas? I have more questions but don't know who to ask. Perhaps I should go on a Jeep board but I don't know what is a good one for that, either.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
You'll probably get better answers to that question on a Jeep forum.
And like I asked, do you recommend a forum? I'm sure there are several and of differing quality.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you @9wranglers-later . Yes, the steering felt fine at highway speeds in the 2021 I drove. The hard top was also surprisingly quiet though I plan to go soft top. There was slight floating at 60+ but it had skinny 32" M/Ts and I felt that was understandable.the 2.0T felt great!

I have a few questions as the build and price, well, doesn't elaborate on options nor does it make the trims obvious.

I want power windows and locks so that eliminates the Sport and the Willys Sport. It appears that the regular (listed about fourth down on the build and price page, ie the more expensive Willys) Willys comes with extra features such as the Technology Package, but requires an extra $945 for LED headlights and fog lights, which according to the sticker of the one I drove yesterday was included in the Willys Wheeler and not an additional stand alone option. I'm confused why it showed included in one and not on the other.

What kind of "anti-slip rear differential" does it have? From what other Jeep people have said, it's a clutch type and not like a helical Truetrac or anything sexy but I wanted to confirm.

The Wrangler is drove had an MSRP is $44,500 but looks like it can be had for $39,500 before negotiation. I mention this because my build has the same MSRP with different options. Being that there are $2,000 worth of dealer ads, I feel I can get them to at or below their advertised price of $37,500 + TTL. Here's the sticker: https://www.machaikhouston.com/api/...YAOAA3AA==&make=Jeep&dealerCode=27015&loc=Vdp

The build I am interested in is attached with pictures at the end.

New 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler (22W)
2.0T / 8-spd auto $1,500
Stingray Gray $245 / Black interior / premium soft top $595
(LED headlights / fog lights ($945) , Technology Group ($695), anti-slip rear differential all should be included in Willys Wheeler)
4Hi Auto (AWD) transfer case $695
Tow Package $795
Engine block heater $90

Do you have any input for this build, how you went about purchasing Jeeps? I sold Nissans for years and was planning on contacting several dealers via email to negotiate a factory build as I haven't found a similar build in all of Houston which I thought was weird.

Any input you have is appreciated! This will be my daily driver with only occasional light off-roading, mostly on sand. Thanks in advance!

7736A975-B9B8-4DC1-B883-9D9FAEB20C4C.jpeg

E270643B-F447-4947-A9C8-1711C8F824DE.jpeg

4A233858-D6CF-4893-B0F5-970312750AA6.jpeg

Sponsored

Jackattack

Badlands
First Name
Jarmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullsh
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get a 21, they have the latest steering box, it is steel, instead of aluminum. The best steering fix they have put forward yet. My 6/20 build date still has revision 4 "aluminum"
No, I misunderstood you to be saying you owned a quantity of 20 jeeps. Lol

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have that exact vehicle, all the options you mentioned. Tow pkg. And cold weather group. Bikini pearl coat. The premium soft top believe it or not is quieter at highway speed over the A pillar/ windshield header area. In the 2 door you can hear passing traffic coming, being that there is no glass from your ears back. You won't have that with rear doors and glass. The diff is a clutch based unit. It works well and compliments the bld's brake lock differentials. If you wheel it every week you might wear it out by about 30k if not they last 100k. Just pay attention to the details, all my emblems and wrangler decals were crooked, trail rated badge crooked. The grille was a 1/4 inch to the pass side. They missed a seam sewing the upholstery, 2 inch slit you can see the seat foam. Rear bumper gaps way off stick your finger between body and bumper. And my steering is horrible. Jk's were way better because they had a steel box, but so does jl again for 21. Basically looked great, every day for the first week I noticed a new thing not right. And am disgusted with it. My willys decals are straight though! Powertrain is solid, 2.0 has torque like a diesel. Led headlights are standard on willys. Not on willys sport. Only model in the whole lineup as standard. Just head's and fog's though.
That's a coincidence alright. What do you suggest as far as body panel and badge misalignments? Is this normal for Jeep or do you just wish you spotted it beforehand. I'm not sure what a dealership would or could do though to be fair. If it's crappy from the factory, it isn't the dealership's fault.

Thank you for the advice on the '21 steering. I really was surprised how normal it drove despite the SFA and M/T tires. The seating position is odd but that's part of it and I'd get used to it.

The Willys (more expensive Willys not the Willys Sport) has the LEDs additional. Is their build and price wrong or what am I missing here? It's listed as a $945 option.

Thank you again for your advice. I am taking it. I will test drive another one at a different dealership in the next week likely. I may still wait up to about 12-13 months as my lease doesn't expire until then. Perhaps I'll pull the trigger sooner though.

The Willys seems like a good fit for me and roughly $3,000-$5,000 cheaper from what I was planning on with a base Bronco (LSD and gears since the gears must be replaced, probably new wheels and definitely new tires, and speed calibration).

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Panel gaps on all the metal is perfect, I left the rest as is. I had 3 other jl's none had the crooked rear bumper, I have seen it on all from 18-20 just wish I had seen it. The bumpers have no adjustment unless you remove and enlarge 1 locating hole. Then you can adjust them. The scary thing is the adjustment is in the body mounts, mine is decked on the frame slightly crooked. Hence the grille being off and the rear bumper. Haven't been on their b+p in a while it was baked into the 5600.00 22w package. They didn't have it separate before. Maybe they do now. They realized that was their only vehicle they included it on.
Thank you again for your advice. I'll read up a bit more about the 2021 steering differences but I'm glad to hear this as I was also considering used.

AleYeah

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited, 1976 VW poptop Bus
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
WranglerForum is a good source for Jeep info. (You’ll find me with the same user handle over there.)

Maybe get your Willys now and sell in a year or so if you test drive a Bronco and gotta have one? Jeeps have pretty nice resale values.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just try to stay away from any Lithia Motors dealership. I can't imagine, even in the pits of Hell, a worse dealer network.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
WranglerForum is a good source for Jeep info. (You’ll find me with the same user handle over there.)

Maybe get your Willys now and sell in a year or so if you test drive a Bronco and gotta have one? Jeeps have pretty nice resale values.
I may go to that site and bug them for Wrangler knowledge too. Thank you.

I still don't understand why Wrangler resale values are so high. It makes even less sense to me that they seem to be heavily discounted from the dealership new.

That's not a bad idea, though that isn't a great idea for me personally i don't think.
Just try to stay away from any Lithia Motors dealership. I can't imagine, even in the pits of Hell, a worse dealer network.
Thank you. That's in the Houston area?
They are not even recalling it. There is a service bulletin if you bitch about the wandering they will replace it with the new steel one. Just check it over real good. If the steering is fixed and you don't get what some are calling "covid cars" you will love it. That only refers to exactly mine. I ordered it in Feb 20 factory shut down in March opened May I had it on July 3rd. It was in limbo during the shutdown, maybe that explains it. 4 doors tracked alot better then the 2 doors as well. I'm sure the new 4dr is much better than mine is.
Hmm. I'd figure that Jeep would make on-road driving characteristics their number one priority as more and more aren't taken off-road. I can't say I understand the issue you're talking about but I'll look into it if I get a JLU from before MY2021.

It makes sense obviously that the ride will be better with a longer wheelbase. I'm not sure to what degree steering would be affected by the same thing as I'm not an engineer. I do know I felt very unstable driving an ATV at high speeds!

Last edited:

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just saw this, bought my 2018 through Mark Gusman at River Oaks Jeep in Houston. believe they were 5% under invoice. Was a good experience. Also check the Jeep dealer in Conroe, at one point think they were 6 or 7% under invoice.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just saw this, bought my 2018 through Mark Gusman at River Oaks Jeep in Houston. believe they were 5% under invoice. Was a good experience. Also check the Jeep dealer in Conroe, at one point think they were 6 or 7% under invoice.
Interesting. Thank you. Another member messaged me about him as well and I emailed him this morning!

cmb

Wildtrak
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting. Thank you. Another member messaged me about him as well and I emailed him this morning!
Good luck, love my 2 door Jeep and will be keeping it. Sold my Q5 a couple weeks ago and will be using that money toward a 4 door Bronco. Will end up having one of each some day, probably will opt for a 22 model.

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jlwranglerforums is a great site. Even though I don’t own a Jeep, there’s a lot of experts on that site.
Sponsored