Jeep Gladiator - When Keepin It Real Goes Wrong

OP
ChrispyKC

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Platinum, 2016 Escape SE, 2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sahara
omg the comments on that article

''If ThEy WoUlD jUsT bUiLd A 2-dOoR, fOr $22K, wItH a MaNuAl AnD a DiEsEl I'd BuY oNe" (used in 20 years)
Jalopnik’s comment section is the worst on the planet. Unless you drive a manual transmission, brown, diesel late 90’s station wagon you are considered a horrible person and SUV’s or Crossovers serve no purpose in anyone’s life no matter how many actual human beings enjoy driving them.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96/'97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, '92 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5TD, '15 VW Golf TDI
Jalopnik’s comment section is the worst on the planet. Unless you drive a manual transmission, brown, diesel late 90’s station wagon you are considered a horrible person and SUV’s or Crossovers serve no purpose in anyone’s life no matter how many actual human beings enjoy driving them.
iT'S ALMOST as bad as the SFA people here on bronco6G :bandit:

I know, I know

at least I know it

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra, Mini Countryman S
Was Jeep ever planning to sell these at a high volume? It always seemed like a niche / lifestyle vehicle, not a volume seller. I’ve seen Tacomas, Colorados, and Frontiers stickered up as a fleet / work trucks, but not the Gladiator, nor the Ranger. I think the super short beds might have something to do with that. Without fleet / work truck sales, the Gladiator sales figures will always be lower than other midsize trucks.

OP
ChrispyKC

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was Jeep ever planning to sell these at a high volume? It always seemed like a niche / lifestyle vehicle, not a volume seller. I’ve seen Tacomas, Colorados, and Frontiers stickered up as a fleet / work trucks, but not the Gladiator, nor the Ranger. I think the super short beds might have something to do with that. Without fleet / work truck sales, the Gladiator sales figures will always be lower than other midsize trucks.
Low volume or not, dealers can’t give them away right now. It might have to do with how the dealerships were charging ridiculous markups above list at launch and how it soured the buying market.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Still tho A LOT of people are going to be turned off by the fact a gladiator cost about 45k and a similar equipment Ranger/ Colorado/ Tacoma, is only 38-40k

OP
ChrispyKC

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA - Fiat in particular views the Jeep brand as nothing more than a cash cow. They’ve shoved vehicles down their dealer’s throats and now there’s not enough buyers to supplement the production. It’s a great time to buy since traditionally there were never year end incentives on Wrangler. It’s sad to see the product diluted.

wjfawb0

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2010 Ford F150 4x4
Maybe I could trade sell my JK Rubicon and F150 for a Gladiator... Nah, I need to tow heavy stuff and don't want an ADD front axle or the 3.6 pentastar again.

93_SVT_3503

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Excursion, 1967 Bronco Halfcab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967F250 Hiboy

93_SVT_3503

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Excursion, 1967 Bronco Halfcab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967F250 Hiboy
Just on Cars.com there are almost 40 priced between $65k-$145k with different wheel/tire/lift combos. :crackup::crackup::cwl:

Walnut

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
FCA - Fiat in particular views the Jeep brand as nothing more than a cash cow. They’ve shoved vehicles down their dealer’s throats and now there’s not enough buyers to supplement the production. It’s a great time to buy since traditionally there were never year end incentives on Wrangler. It’s sad to see the product diluted.
This. I was all set to buy a 2019 JLU (I wanted the 2018 folks to work out the bugs), but with all the issues and the flooding of Wranglers at every red light and crossfit parking lot, it lost its appeal with me.

Rogues Gambit

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Tacoma always is on the Radar due to it's price advantage, though priced right, could get a decently optioned Gladiator

One thing people forget is that the Gladiator's a convertible trucklette, you can take the Top AND Doors off. It'd be a lot cheaper if you couldn't, though the problem is the ADM and those who tack on inane shit to jack up the prices

Rogues Gambit

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Pretty sure those are Hemi swaps. Not saying that its worth it but just clarifying its HEAVILY modded.
I'd be interested in a Hemi swap with a manual, that trans needs the torque badly

Nanook

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pro4X Titan, Ford Fusion, Ducati Diavel
FYI
Hennessy will build you a 1000hp hellcat swapped Gladiator and it has a warranty.
Just about as pointless as my comment but it’s wild that such a vehicle exists