Jeep gunning straight for the Ranger

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep claims that they'll sell 100,000 Wrangler pickup trucks right off the bat when it's introduced. The Wrangler pickup will be midsized so its gunning straight for the upcoming Ranger. Looks like it'll be an interesting fight with the Bronco going after Wranger sales and the Wrangler pickup going after Ranger sales...
Sponsored

Ford

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
The ranger will win. The Jeep is a weird animal. The followers it has are loyal but there are just about the same amount of fans with any other vehicle. Sure the Jeep fanboys who can buy one will buy one right away, but people doing their research will find that jeeps, especially wranglers, aren't known for reliability. Chrysler in general isn't. Even people that don't care much about cars are going crazy about the bronco coming back.

Syr1pss

Black Diamond
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 FJ Cruiser / 2019 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can't wait for the new Bronco. Question is will the new Bronco have a removable top to some degree. If not, it's just going to be another SUV. How about a small diesel or Eco-Boost for some mpg's.

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just my opinion but I think the Wrangler pick up will be one of the most interesting in the market. It will have removable top/panel, removable fenders for a verity of aftermarket ones, will be solid axel for better offroad strength, and with the rumored new engine choices (4cyl turbo, V6 Diesel, and upgraded V6) it should be quite a truck. Also if it comes out looking like the AEV Brute i think it will be one of the best looking right up there with the Raptor

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

As for the Bronco, it need to have a removable hard top, and classic looks IMO to compete. I think solid axel is optional as I think a lot of people would prefer the ride comfort of IFS over solid axel except for the most hard core off road enthusiasts. Any if the SVT team uses some of the stuff they learned on the Raptor to give the Bronco decent travel they should be ok with IFS.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There has been the Brute aftermarket conversion for the Jeep for a while. It wasn't overly popular as it was expensive, but Fiat does it from the factory I can see it being a hit.

The mini pick up is hot right now.

Sponsored

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
The Jeep looks good! It suffers for being a Chrysler & a Fiat product--both manufacturers have had dismal reliability issues off-and-on for decades. There comes a point when wheelbase length becomes a genuine handicap, just like too much weight and too much width. I hope the Jeep truck is tested brutally to assure that none of these three conditions ruins an otherwise good vehicle.

Fiat, Renault, and Simca periodically resume exporting their vehicles to the US. And people buy them for awhile--but no one trades their first one for a second one. Chrysler has gone bankrupt twice. Jeep really, really needs to get out of Chrysler & Fiat because I've always liked the small Jeeps and hate to see them with two millstones around their necks. Where's Willys when we really, really need them?

But the choice for me isn't between some model of Jeep and the 2020 Bronco but between sinking big bucks into my '66 Bronco or selling it and buying a 2020 Bronco with the proceeds plus the money I've been saving for the build-up.

Oh, yeah--I bought a '73 Datsun (remember Datsuns?) pickup off the carhauler in April of 1973 and kept it until my wife was expecting our second child! I loved it totally, but we needed a vehicle that could carry two adults and two children in child car seats. In October of 1982 we traded that splendid little Datsun mini-truck for a 1982 Dodge B-150 Prospector (a full-sized van). Of all the vehicles I've traded away, I miss that mini-truck the most: Utility, Reliability, & Economy at last (I had traded my '69 Mercury Cyclone Cobra-Jet 428 and some cash for the Datsun mini-truck--which had fine Reliability but little Utility and no Economy whatsoever)!!

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Its funny everyone harps on Jeep being sub build quality but JD Power ranks Ford even worst for 2016:

My 2013 JKU has been awesome minus a couple of little things (heated passenger seat went out after warranty, front diff leak covered by warranty) With that said, my family has only owned Ford Trucks for the last 15 years and all have been great (both for work and personally).

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
But the choice for me isn't between some model of Jeep and the 2020 Bronco but between sinking big bucks into my '66 Bronco or selling it and buying a 2020 Bronco with the proceeds plus the money I've been saving for the build-up.
From a truly financial standpoint redoing the 66 would be the way to go. That thing will only increase in value.

OP
OP
Mustang313

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The ranger will win. The Jeep is a weird animal. The followers it has are loyal but there are just about the same amount of fans with any other vehicle. Sure the Jeep fanboys who can buy one will buy one right away, but people doing their research will find that jeeps, especially wranglers, aren't known for reliability. Chrysler in general isn't. Even people that don't care much about cars are going crazy about the bronco coming back.
That's what's always puzzled me about the Wrangler. How it has such a huge following despite its reputation for leaky roofs, death wobble, gas guzzler, and unreliability. I really think if there had been a true competitor all these years, we wouldn't see its sales so dominant. We're about to see if this theory is right... as long as the Bronco ends up being a true competitor.

Chute

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's what's always puzzled me about the Wrangler. How it has such a huge following despite its reputation for leaky roofs, death wobble, gas guzzler, and unreliability. I really think if there had been a true competitor all these years, we wouldn't see its sales so dominant. We're about to see if this theory is right... as long as the Bronco ends up being a true competitor.
If you think about it the Wrangler really is a unique vehicle and that is why it has such a big following. No one else has had the guts to build a vehicle that has a totally removable roof/doors/windshield and is built totally for offroading at the expense of all practical on-road factors. They turned something that is totally niche on paper and made it pretty mainstream. IMO that isn't just because there's no competitors, but what it does it does supremely well so people are willing to overlook the flaws. I just hope Ford doesn't build a Bronco that is a jack of all trades but master of none where it gets slammed because of all its flaws both on AND off road.

Sponsored

dhg1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you think about it the Wrangler really is a unique vehicle and that is why it has such a big following. No one else has had the guts to build a vehicle that has a totally removable roof/doors/windshield and is built totally for offroading at the expense of all practical on-road factors. They turned something that is totally niche on paper and made it pretty mainstream. IMO that isn't just because there's no competitors, but what it does it does supremely well so people are willing to overlook the flaws. I just hope Ford doesn't build a Bronco that is a jack of all trades but master of none where it gets slammed because of all its flaws both on AND off road.
To a point. Before Jeep added the 4 door option, sales were at or under 80k-ish a year, for a good year. Adding the 4 door option really helped out in a big way. Considering Jeep was the only one in that segment with a market size of 70k sales per year total for the hardcore, no frills, 2 door ultimate off road vehicle, how many sales is Ford, or anyone else, supposed to expect to get?

Now that jeeps sales are hovering around 200k a year with the 4 door option, its far easier to justify a new product to compete when there is a viable and reasonable business case to sell enough product to make a profit.

mbisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I tow behind a motorhome. A lot of Jeeps are sold because they are towable and don't weigh to much. If the new Bronco and Ranger are towable and they keep the weight down, they will sell a boatload of them.

Wayfarer1008

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Bronco
f
In the past Jeep's were just one of several 4wd that you could buy that were butt primitive and easy to work on. you also could accessories to your hearts content .They were also cheap so they fit the hunter and early off-road enthusiast that is now filled by side by sides. Bronco's on the other hand were more directed towards the commercial fleet sales market which has always been Fords Bread and Butter. That's why Ford probably went to the Big Bronco vs. the Jeep because their biggest competitor in that market was Chevy and the Blazer. This has allowed Jeep to survive vaults and all in that anything that could competed with it has either gone in different directions or has left jeep alone in the U.S. Market. Outside the U.S. there are vehicles that are a close match for the nitch Jeep fills. There are not very revered and have the reputation of being a piece of junk.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Its funny everyone harps on Jeep being sub build quality but JD Power ranks Ford even worst for 2016:

My 2013 JKU has been awesome minus a couple of little things (heated passenger seat went out after warranty, front diff leak covered by warranty) With that said, my family has only owned Ford Trucks for the last 15 years and all have been great (both for work and personally).
I don't know much about Jeep's quality. I have never owned one. But one comment I would make is that I care less about initial quality and more about long term quality. I'm OK if there are a couple warranty issues with a car in the first year or two of service, as long as the car ends up lasting for many years with very little trouble.

I guess it's easier to track issues with new cars versus finding out how many cars made in 2008 or 2003 are still on the road and how the owners feel about them.

A coworker had a Dodge Durango with the 318 c.i. V8. The engine had catastrophic failure of its oiling system at about 100,000 miles. He was an engineer and maintained the vehicle very carefully. This is the kind of issue that could make me swear off a brand - because IMO a failure like this should absolutely not happen. I understand this is just a single example and it's possible that is exceedingly rare.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Living in Maine, a number of my coworkers have wranglers less than 5 years old. To a count every one of them have rusting door hinges Under the paint. Already bubbling. A number have had chronic non-recall issues.

All say they will buy another one. Go figure.
Sponsored