First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you mean “fine” as still existing and being profitable, then sure. If you mean gaining market-share and increasing sales, then no….they will lose heavy market share and no chance they gain unit or revenue growth compared to when they had with no direct competitor….those days are over. Now, Jeep buyers will be “fine”…as they will see product innovation and excess supply like they have never seen…thanks to Bronco.
Jeep posted these numbers despite all the Bronco reservations...I don't think they're sweating the Bronco that much right now...

" Jeep brand saw its Wrangler post the best ever first-quarter retail sales, following the best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020. Total Wrangler sales rose 25% to 49,646 vehicles. Jeep Gladiator followed suit. Following its best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020, Gladiator posted its best ever first quarter with total sales of 18,822 vehicles, a 23% increase over the same period last year."

One of the best abilities, is availability.
Sponsored

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still crack up every time this thread comes back around. After 3 days with my new Badlands, I can say confidently that it is awesome and I love it. But I also love our 2020 Wrangler JLU. I honestly can’t say which one I like more. I think ultimately I’m going to prefer the Bronco by a slim margin. Given that both are more capable off-road than I am ever likely going to need, the moderately better road manners of the Bronco will push it ahead. I also really prefer driving with a manual transmission and the Getrag unit is miles ahead of the Jeep’s unit. But Jeep will be just fine. I told one of my best Jeepin’ buddies I bought a Bronco. His response was a sarcastic “I’m not waving to you anymore.” 😆

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep posted these numbers despite all the Bronco reservations...I don't think they're sweating the Bronco that much right now...

" Jeep brand saw its Wrangler post the best ever first-quarter retail sales, following the best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020. Total Wrangler sales rose 25% to 49,646 vehicles. Jeep Gladiator followed suit. Following its best ever fourth-quarter sales in 2020, Gladiator posted its best ever first quarter with total sales of 18,822 vehicles, a 23% increase over the same period last year."

One of the best abilities, is availability.
“Not sweating Bronco”…ok, that’s a good one. 35s, 392…all just coincidence for Jeep. If you don’t think they lose share having a viable direct competitor when they had none before, I can’t help you. Like you said…when availability is there, it’s a whole different game and they are not stupid enough to not realize that.

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
“Not sweating Bronco”…ok, that’s a good one. 35s, 392…all just coincidence for Jeep. If you don’t think they lose share having a viable direct competitor when they had none before, I can’t help you. Like you said…when availability is there, it’s a whole different game and they are not stupid enough to not realize that.
You're actually proving my point.
Think about it, Jeep had all those new models tucked in their back pocket. Not just 'on paper', but designed and ready for production at the snap of a finger - they were on dealer lot's darn quick. Right now they have market flexibility.
If I have a bunch of good cards tucked up my sleeve, I'm not worried about what they guy wearing a tank top has up his. Makes you wonder what else they have tucked up there. My guess would be ala carte options for lower trims - rear lockers, auto disco's etc...

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me the distinction is in the language. I’m sure Jeep will lose market share. It will go from 100% to something less than 100%. But they are not “in trouble.” The Camaro is in trouble.

Sponsored

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ll preface with, I’m very excited about my Bronco order. However, I’ll call Ford a direct competitor when they can deliver more than a few hundred vehicles. And the package with the 35s on the Bronco are one of many constraints last I checked.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll preface with, I’m very excited about my Bronco order. However, I’ll call Ford a direct competitor when they can deliver more than a few hundred vehicles. And the package with the 35s on the Bronco are one of many constraints last I checked.
I don't think anyone is waiting with baited breath on when you decide to call them a competitor; they are in every sense of the word a direct competitor...everyone in the world paying any attention knows they are coming; and yes 35s are a constraint, but they are building a higher percentage with 35s as a constrained item (37% of builds) than Jeep builds Rubicons...so all is relative. Jeep clearly sees a major competitor...whether you do or not is irrelevant, as it is a fact. It will be a fact that they lose share of the open air 4x4 market, as they have 100% of it now.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The F150 is superior to the Dodge Ram and the Silverado, but plenty of people still buy them.

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Losing some market share to Bronco sure, but it’s also possible that Bronco boosts growth of the off road suv market which will directly benefit Jeep.

No matter what, consumers will benefit from this competition

Red Mountain Pass

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco, 1968 Buick Riviera GS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Look, these words aren't derived from new-found fanboy syndrome, but rather what I feel is pure logic.

Jeep is in trouble. I'm currently a 2012 Jeep Wrangler owner and recently cancelled a 2020 Rubi diesel order. Why?

Every each of the Bronco has been so well thought out, which is a stark contrast to what I feel is a very outdated Jeep architecture. The Jeep is clearly an inferior product in so many ways. It's actually insulting Jeep continues to charge what they do.

Cool, you've got a solid front axle.

I'm actually blown away how flat footed Jeep's response has been. Their best trick seemingly: jam a V8 in the thing. Even their flagship V6 engine is so underwhelming.

Jeep is going have their lunch eaten by the Bronco. Period. Jeep enthusiasts can continue to justify their purchase by throwing around the solid front axle debate, V8, blabla. But the fact of the matter is, those features appease such a small, narrow end of the market.

I say all this not seeing or driving a Bronco in real-life. But from what I've read, and what I've experienced being a Jeep owner, the Bronco is every bit a better machine. Ford did their homework. They benchmarked every inch of the Jeep and made a materially better product in every way.

I'm glad my Jeep has 200k on it and will be junk by the time my Bronco arrives. I'd be very upset if I recently purchased a Jeep.
This aged well...

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My wife drove a 2008 JK for 4 years and got $4,000 under what we paid on trade in 4 years later. She wanted a Grand Cherokee. So $1,000 a year to drive a new jk. Till bronco has that kind of resale value Jeep won’t have any problems. Now the Grand Cherokee resale is a very different story…..
The Wrangler's legendary resale value likely has much to do with its utter lack of competitors. Expect that to change with Bronco in the market (and will Toyota and Chevy jump in too?).

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look, these words aren't derived from new-found fanboy syndrome, but rather what I feel is pure logic.

Jeep is in trouble. I'm currently a 2012 Jeep Wrangler owner and recently cancelled a 2020 Rubi diesel order. Why?

Every each of the Bronco has been so well thought out, which is a stark contrast to what I feel is a very outdated Jeep architecture. The Jeep is clearly an inferior product in so many ways. It's actually insulting Jeep continues to charge what they do.

Cool, you've got a solid front axle.

I'm actually blown away how flat footed Jeep's response has been. Their best trick seemingly: jam a V8 in the thing. Even their flagship V6 engine is so underwhelming.

Jeep is going have their lunch eaten by the Bronco. Period. Jeep enthusiasts can continue to justify their purchase by throwing around the solid front axle debate, V8, blabla. But the fact of the matter is, those features appease such a small, narrow end of the market.

I say all this not seeing or driving a Bronco in real-life. But from what I've read, and what I've experienced being a Jeep owner, the Bronco is every bit a better machine. Ford did their homework. They benchmarked every inch of the Jeep and made a materially better product in every way.

I'm glad my Jeep has 200k on it and will be junk by the time my Bronco arrives. I'd be very upset if I recently purchased a Jeep.
Personally, I wouldn't compare the older JKU with the JLU which is a lot nicer. I think Jeep is still great if they can improve the steering on them. Yes, it has to do with the solid front axle, but I had a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited (WJ) (SA front and rear) which was bought new and kept for 6 years, the steering was excellent when it was stock and still great after a 4" lift on 32" BFG M/T. Highway driving on the WJ with lift is so much better than my current 2018 JLU Rubicon. I actually test drove a 4xe, and the steering has been improve over my 2018. (Maybe due to the AWD system?)

If Jeep can at least improve the wrangler steering to the WJ level. Then it would be a much better Jeep for road trips, plus many more inexpensive options for suspension mod. and accessories.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the Bronco but prefer the look of the Wrangler and their higher end looking interiors i.e. leather wrapped dashes. Ford will get there in a few years when costs come down and they’ll address the interiors so the more expensive models have a more luxury interior. Same thing with the Camaro, Mustang etc. my 2013 Camaro interior was trash, my 2017 was WAYYYY nicer. They’re both bad ass cars, only children and lame asses would argue over a car.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

after 80 years, and creating it's own segment in the market, i really don't think jeep is going out of business. fiat bought chrysler for the jeep brand. i have my bronco on order, but i seriously doubt jeep is going into chapter 11 any time soon. the wrangler platform might need to do a little evolving, but it is the standard from which all others are judged...

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My thoughts are that yes, Jeep will lose some market share. That is inevitable. But, it's the Bronco that is going to have too prove itself in the real world, not Jeep.
Sponsored