Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Good competition is great for consumers. But Jeep either ups their game or their market loss to Ford will grow more each year.
Sponsored

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just not a fan of put a big plastic cover on it everything is fine.
Yea I hear that, I usually take them off my cars anyway as they contribute to heat soak (at least in my mind lol!).

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wrangler is NOT in trouble. Look how many are out there being driven by owners and the resale is stupid high. Aftermarket is the highest of any. Wrangler has been the standard that all the others measure by for years. For Bronco, we got a bunch of adds with hand built prototypes driven by Ford drivers. Let them mass produce Bronco a few years and let the public tear them up, we'll see how good they are. Wrangler is not the Bronco target. Range Rover, Land Rover, G Wagon, 4 runner, and all the other IFS 4x4's are. Bronco will do fine but Wrangler will still be the off road standard.

Sponsored

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrangler is not the Bronco target.
You can't really believe that, can you? Wrangler and it's fat high margin sales of 240k units per year are 100% the target for Bronco. No ambiguity, no question about it, that is the absolute target. They are absolute direct competitors. Off road oriented, open-air body on frame 4x4s. There are only 2 of those on the market (or about to be 2).

...and if you don't think this hurts Jeep to a degree, then I can't help you, but Ford will absolutely take market-share from Jeep, and Jeep will have to respond and get better to try to get it back. Wrangler will be the only vehicle out there that will take a noticeable market-share hit.....other than maybe 4Runner, but Bronco is much more analogous to Wrangler as anyone who looks at them can see in about 10 seconds.

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In before Bronco brand matches the Jeep Brand. We already have Cherokee done right (Sport) and Wrangler done right (Bronco). Now we need Gladiator, (Isn't the ranger already this?) and Grand Cherokee (Explorer based, what the Timberline will evolve into) and Grand Wagoner (F150 or Expedition based).

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

You can't really believe that, can you? Wrangler and it's fat high margin sales of 240k units per year are 100% the target for Bronco. No ambiguity, no question about it, that is the absolute target. They are absolute direct competitors. Off road oriented, open-air body on frame 4x4s. There are only 2 of those on the market (or about to be 2).

...and if you don't think this hurts Jeep to a degree, then I can't help you, but Ford will absolutely take market-share from Jeep, and Jeep will have to respond and get better to try to get it back. Wrangler will be the only vehicle out there that will take a noticeable market-share hit.....other than maybe 4Runner, but Bronco is much more analogous to Wrangler as anyone who looks at them can see in about 10 seconds.
Was going through the YouTube comparisons over the weekend, and the Bronco has an interesting positioning between the Wrangler and the Defender / 4Runner. Yes, it will take share from people looking for a more civilized Jeep, but I also believe Ford will take share from what little Defender market there was, and the Defender will take share from Discovery. I also think the ancient 4Runner is losing here.

Takeaways from the comparisons:
  • 4Runner is old tech and doesn't have a front locker.
  • Defender has too much tech = trail risk and doesn't have lockers, but the ride is so much better than a Jeep and the tech does offer capability when it works.
  • The Jeep is simpler, but has lockers, sway bar disconnect, and flex that neither the Defender or 4Runner have.
So you can see how the Bronco add the tech that the Defender has, but still has the lockers, disconnect, and some of the flex that the Jeep has, and does not have the old 5 speed transmission the Toyota has. It's in a very good position, but taking painfully long to get to market.

DealerInsider

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chapmannewcars.com
Vehicle(s)
A stolen FE reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I find it hard to believe that a vehicle with the legacy, cult following and market share of Jeep is going to "fold" due to the yet-undelivered Bronco. I just got my first Jeep (thanks to the interim lease from @DealerInsider), and while the shortcomings I am finding are things that I think the Bronco will alleviate (road manners, and of course the dated 'look' that many appreciate) I also recognize the value of the wide variety of 3rd party modifications and options available, not to mention the ability to configure one in almost any way possible (hello heated seats and steering wheel).

Cannot wait for my Bronco (though I have to) but believe that this will help spur the market and options for both, as well as to likely bring in more manufacturers and choice.
thank u michael...appreciate u!

Sponsored

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford is taking aim at the Wrangler because it's the biggest target. Aiming at it will get Bronco the biggest attention. With Bronco you got 7 different programed modes to automatically get you along on the trail with trail turn assist. As long as the computer works it's good. Have an failed???? we will never know. The Wrangler has been out there for years and Bronco is claiming victory befor they deliver one. Time will tell. This forum will change when real people are driving them. Maybe everyone will just be gushing all over each other over them.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeep will adjust with lower prices, improved tech including 12 inch screen and some kind of squatch like package with 35" tires an probably more rebates.

I'm curious if trail turn assist and one pedal driving are patented. Those are pretty cool modern off-road features. I bet Jeep adds them in short order if they work as advertised.

If things get really bad then jeep may even offer an IFS variant, but that's probably the final nuclear option if sales just plummet.

Bronco will also cannabilize a decent number of sales from F150, ranger and explorer. Not to mention Subaru and soft roader SUV crowd. Will be interesting to see the overall impact.

I'm also curious how broncos resale value will be. 4 Runner is high because of reliability. Jeep is high because of ease of modification and only show in town.
Ford's aren't known for reliability in comparison to Toyota and an older IFS bronco is going to be much more difficult and expensive to mod than a SFA Jeep. Will they hold their value in similar fashion once they are available all over?

Jeep isn't going anywhere, but they definitely will be forced to respond which is good for the consumer.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doesnt look much more complicated than this 2017 Civic SI Engine, yet all the tuner bois seem to manage alright. This isn't even a turbo.

Ford Bronco Jeep is in trouble 0D3D6D28-3911-4DE9-8EB2-99C3DE08DCAD
Actually, it is a turbocharged 1.5L 4 cylinder.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco will also cannabilize a decent number of sales from F150, ranger and explorer. Not to mention Subaru and soft roader SUV crowd.
It's also canabalizing a small number of Mustang orders. Ford only has two vehicles I would even consider buying, the Bronco and the Mustang. (should be obvious the 1 thing they have in common)

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IDK guys, I kinda enjoy the OP's enthusiasm. Personally I am finding myself still full-throttle in obsession mode over these freakin' vehicles. Seems sometimes like I'm "reaching the end of the internet" when it comes to my topic- and discussion-perusing and I don't want that to ever happen- my appetite is yet to be satiated. A genuine fanboi post like this (despite the OP's stated position [sorry mate!]) I thought was refreshing.
Sponsored