Sponsored

Jeep Is Installing Solar Chargers Off-Road On The Rubicon And In Moab For The New Hybrid Wrangler

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
“Jeep installing solar powered Starbucks on trails”
Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Total BS click bait. Any idea of how many solar panels it would take to charge up the 17kWh battery? I don't think it could carry enough beer needed to sit there and wait for it to charge. Isn't the whole idea of a hybrid to not need to charge from an outside source?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In a non Jeep vs Ford way... Fuck this.

For one.... If anyone knows anything about solar power they will know how futile it will be to give a EV any sort of useable charge in a reasonable time frame.

Two... Get these things out of wild spaces. I know it's a bit hypocritical to say in a place that's crawling with ICEs but at least they aren't there all the time. Solar panels take away from being "out there" and, because they rely on the sun, you can't even tuck them away. They need to be in full sun.

Three.... The "gas or nothing" guys, the non-Jeep guys, and general hoodlums will trash these things anyway.

I can't see this actually moving ahead.

steevenk

Black Diamond
First Name
kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 AWD Astro, '90 G20 Van, '14 Subaru Forester XT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Total BS click bait. Any idea of how many solar panels it would take to charge up the 17kWh battery? I don't think it could carry enough beer needed to sit there and wait for it to charge. Isn't the whole idea of a hybrid to not need to charge from an outside source?
A little under 1000 sqft of panels to do it in an hour but that fast of a rate is not possible on the Jeep I would assume. So two hours would be 500 sqft, 4 hours for 250 sqft, etc. Their website implies a rate of 1.5kW, which would be about 100 sqft of panels in 10-11 hours. This assumes sunny skies and no dust on the panels for maximum collection rate.

Something like this would have to be similar size to a gas station I would think because there has to be battery storage too to even make it at all feasible.

Sponsored

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They claim they’ve made it throught the rubicon on all electric. I need to see video to believe that. I’d be impressed if they went over every obstacle the hard way
Day 63.
We made it 97 inches between solar charges today. In three days, we may be able to make it another 97 inches.
Food rations scarce. There is no hope.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hopefully they’ll install 5G repeaters too so you can livestream your exploits.

Maybe some virtual reality stations as well so you can live vicariously through someone else’s exploits. Especially if you didn’t want to subject your nice new electric Jeep to some of the nastier sections.

This is getting oxymoronic...
I hope they have nap pods.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The hybrid wrangler looks amazing, competition is good

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea I was thinking the same thing. Just what you want to see out in the peaceful outdoors is a bunch of Jeep advertisement and chargers lol
Agreed. I hate this idea. We go out there to get away from that crap. Really bad.

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Soooo.. my two cents!

I've followed Rivian since the beginning and Ford has put stock into them! Rivian has said they base their vehicles on the nature outdoorsy lovers! They talked about putting charging stations in places you wouldn't normally see...EX: National Parks.

My guess the stations would be located on the same property as the facilities/check in stations. I would assume Jeep would do the same. Moab and towns closest to the rubicon. I def think it's overkill to put the on the trails themselves! One thing these guys need to decide as a whole. All the car manufacturing is to share charging stations no need for each to have separate. I mean trying to help the environment then do it! Last thing we need each brand of charging stations all around!

Telsa has stations in so outdoor hubs already you'd think as a whole they could piggy back off each other. Rivian just did the PanAm Highway they put in stations so you'd also think that they would also try to help other EVs out. I like the idea of EVs but I really think it's going to make things worse in the long run!
Sponsored