Sponsored

Jeep vs Ford - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences on longevity and durability sought.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
Sponsored

bgcfman

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Honda Accord, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a Wrangler with only 30K on the odometer. No issues except a speed sensor under warranty. My wife’s Ford Expedition has about the same mileage. Having said that I have more confidence in Ford. We’ve had several, and all went well over 150 K with few if any problems.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
New vehicle or used? I've owned at least one Ford since the 1990s and two Jeeps between 1998 and 2008.

The Jeep 4.0L I-6 is damned near bulletproof. I have heard good things about the Pentastar 3.6L. In fact, Motorreviewer.com states the 3.6L is one of the most reliable motors out there. The transmissions, transfer cases and other drivetrain components used in Jeeps are robust and have few issues, comparatively speaking.

I worked for a large, one of the largest in the nation, dealer networks. I was also ASE certified in engine repair, damage analysis, service advisor, etc. Working for that dealer network, I handled warranty claims for extended warranties; warranties for vehicles outside of the manufacturer's warranty. I saw more claims for turbos than most would imagine. I am very disappointed the Bronco is only offered as an EcoBoost/turbo, as I would much rather have a naturally aspirated motor.

All of my Fords were moderate or moderately poor in reliability. The electronics, engine, transmission and driveline were less reliable than the two Jeep vehicles I owned. The Fords suffered from transmission failure, leaking head gaskets and rear main seals, window regulators, entertainment centers, leaking axle seals, brakes that wore prematurely or warped rotors, and more.

I have low expectations for the Bronco. I expect the electronics to go haywire just after the 3/36 warranty expires. I expect the turbos to be less reliable, and the brakes and CV to wear more quickly than comparable vehicles.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have owned 3 Fords since 1996 and the two trucks were much more reliable than the one car. I don't expect any significant reliability issues with the new Bronco since most of the parts and systems represent evolutionary developments from proven equipment and parts. They are a development from the Ford trucks and as such I expect them to have the same good longevity and reliability that most of Ford's trucks have. There will be problem vehicles but that is to be expected with any production run.

Jeeps--- I have owned three Jeeps since 1990, a YJ, a TJ, and an XJ. They generally rand well. The engines were reliable (if somewhat under powered) and the mechanicals all operated with reasonable reliability. That was before FCA of course. Those Jeeps were much simpler than the current crop so one cannot make reasonable projections from those to the latest Jeeps.

Turbo motors--- I currently have two, a 2013 VW TDI (120K miles) and a 2016 6.7 Powerstroke (91K Miles). Not a hint of a problem with either. So, I have no problem with buying either available motor in the new Broncos.

Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am a Ford guy, but my JK has been my most reliable car aside from the Kia Sportage we had long ago. Now that damn thing was a marvel for us.

I wish there was a non turbo model also, but it is what it is. I hope it holds up.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My '19 Wrangler JL 3.6L with 18K miles has been just fine. The dealer did change the battery that runs the auto start/stop, but other than oil changes that's all. You can go to www.autotrader.com, and search used Jeeps. You will see quite a few that are only a few years old with a ton of miles on the odo. As @AcesandEights said, the 3.6L w/the 8 speed tranny is a great combination. It works better together than any other combo I've driven. The Ranger's combo (2.3L w/10 spd) is in 2nd place. I will say Jeeps have gotten better. One more little thing. The Jeep with a solid front axle will drive differently than the Bronco with it's independent front suspension. If you decide to test drive a Jeep make sure the dealer has properly gaged the air pressure in the tires (35-37 psi). If the tires have over 40 psi the Jeep will wallow all over the road. I know this from experience. :)

With that said I expect the Bronco's reliability to be the same as my other Ford vehicles (7 all total) with 2 still in the driveway ('20 ranger, '18 Mustang). There have been no serious problems with any to date. There were a few minor adjustments needed to a couple after arrival at the dealer, and a re-flash of the Mustangs tranny (1st year of the 10 spd).

I bought the Jeep in the interim while waiting on the Bronco. The Jeep has been fun, but I've always wanted a Bronco. The wait is excruciating. :)

Last edited:

Omwil297

Base
First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 xj
Your Bronco Model
Base
I daily drive an 18 year old F150, my dad drives a 21 year old F250. I have no worries about longevity.

How often do you see 20+ year old FCA product rolling around?
Funny part is 20+ year old jeep products with the 4.0 is what is see most of, now asking how many 2005 Jeeps is entirely different question

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport, 2021 JLU Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
I can't speak a ton for Ford products as my Mustangs were both builts motors and forced induction but in terms of Jeep I have both the New JLU 2021 and a 2015 JKU. My JKU has 110k miles on the odometer on the original ball joints running 35s with plenty of wheeling and the only thing I've ever had to change was the T-stat at 103k. You can also see in my profile picture I have almost submerged the engine and trans on several occasions and they both still run like the day it was new. The resale is also insane considering I paid 29,825$ for the JKU brand new 5 years ago and its still worth upwards of 20k on a bad day with 110k on it. My JLU has far less miles at 9.8k but has had zero hiccups and has been wheeled a couple times now. The trans in the JLU is even better being an 8 speed with the etorque you never even feel it shift. Its the same design as the ZF 8HP50 or ZF 8HP70 which is found in the SRTs,Hellcats and diesel jeeps so its plenty stout. The ZF transmission are in IMO the best conventional transmission on the market closely followed by the 6r80 found in the F150 and Mustangs pre 2018. The 10R80 would be higher rated but for some reason the 7th gear synchos have been giving people issues. Whatever vehicle you choose I hope you enjoy it!

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, 20+ year old Jeeps are everywhere. Any XJ is at least 20 years old now (last produced in 2001), and TJs started in 1996. So, any Wrangler with square headlights is at least 25 years old, and the round light TJs are up to 25 years old. I see them every day. A co-worker has a YJ with over 250k miles on it, daily driver.

Sponsored

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My dad asked "aren't you worried about the reliability of a brand new product?"

I showed him the wrangler reliability and said "my choice is almost the least reliable car or an unknown car. Either it's better than the jeep or it's the worst and the jeep's 2nd worse." Can't go much further than the floor so why worry.

Basically, I know I'd be screwed with the jeep but I assume I'm also screwed with the Bronco

Sorry to the jeep people here. No hate or anything. I assume the low-reliability scores come from you actually wheeling and making those rigs work hard.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The first Broncos will certainly have issues because its a brand new model - but if we are talking Ford vs Chrysler its going to be Ford all day.

I am speaking from a pure engineering/business standpoint.

Chrysler has been bought, owned and sold a ridiculous number of times and each time the new owner changes things up internally. Engineering process changes take a LONG time to start working efficently...

MrMollusk

Black Diamond
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JK, Smart Brabus
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So I've had a 85 CJ and an 07 JKU. The CJ was a much better machine. The 07 had the oil drinking 3.8L engine. 1K miles it would burn 1L oil. I bought it used with 26K on the odo. By the time the problem was determined (bad rings) the vehicle was over 30K and the dealers warranty wouldn't touch it. So I went to Chrysler, they said it was normal oil usage. Well I replaced the EGR and PCV valves every 5K or so after that, ended up replacing the whole top head after a while to fix it. I do most of my own work so it wasn't *that* big of a deal. But it was a fun (expensive) vehicle.
Now Fords I've had an 05 Explorer and an Escape, forget the YR. Both quality vehicles. We had an AWESOME Ford dealer that my wife worked at for a while and they treated us well even after she left for the Mercedes dealership. I also had a 1995 F250 which was an awesome machine. 351 Windsor in that thing with 2 gas tanks! I think I replaced every part on that truck, but I loved every second of it.

geronika

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
53 Ford Pickup
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a 1997 F150, ended up giving it to my son who sold it last year because it had 350K miles and he wanted a new one. I had a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I sold to my brother and I bought a 2002 F150. My grandaughter drives it every day. The Grand Cherokee was towed off in 2000 and probably sent to the crusher.

David12691

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had a 2012 Jk for the last seven years and other than regular fluids/tires It's only had one single issue, the airbag light came on recently. I believe there was a recall for this issue but I got it appraised yesterday and will sell it before the end of the month, so I don't see the point.

That being said Im weary over Ford products because from what I've seen they aren't confidence inspiring unless you're paying out the wazoo for a GT500. The Bronco is an interesting case because Ford as STEEP competition, say what you will about Jeep's overall but Jeep has had this demographic almost entirely for itself for forever, to match and exceed that Ford has to make a real case for the Bronco and why you should buy one over a Wrangler.

I'm willing to give Ford an opportunity because it looks incredible, (better than the Wrangler imo) it seems like they are actually trying to make this a real problem for the Jeep brand, and appear to be listening to what the off-road community wants and what Jeep owners dislike. Only time will tell wether the Bronco ends up being a quality product but this type of rivalry is good for everyone, especially customers, so we shall see. *fingers crossed*

Edit: Forgot to mention my JK has 115k on it. The 3.6 is ironclad.
Sponsored