Sponsored

Jeep vs Ford - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences on longevity and durability sought.

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon with the 3.8l V6. I bought it new. The engine is a nightmare.... the electrical is a nightmare. My mechanic and I have become tight over the years. I do my fair share of work, then call him in when needed. He also gives me a lot of free suggestions that have paid off many times. I just wish it weren't this way. It has become unreliable and I don't like taking it on long trips or trail rides anymore. I love my Jeep, but it is time to let go. I should mention that it has over 160k miles on the engine and hundreds of hard trail miles on it. I have used it hard. I am also getting a little older and want a little more comfort, and the Bronco's IFS is going to be amazing. I have always loved the old-school Broncos and this is a great representation of that. I cannot wait for mine. Plus, Ford engines definitely have a better rep than the newer Mopar engines. Just my opinion.
Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The first Broncos will certainly have issues because its a brand new model - but if we are talking Ford vs Chrysler its going to be Ford all day.
. . .
I always find this comment interesting, why is the Bronco going to have issues? The motor and transmission are well proven, the infotainment system is based on the same version as other Ford products, identical to the new F150. The doors and top? Maybe, wind or rain leaks, but the door and windows are similar to the Mustang convertible so probably no problem there either.

My first Brand New vehicle was a 1991 Ford Explorer, I put 250,000 miles on it. We have owned Lincoln or Fords for the last 20 years. I had a 2014 Wrangler that I traded for my Truck in 2018, roof leaked from day one , uconnect always had weird problems, my daughter got a new JL wrangler and took it back after one week because of electrical issues. (Sheā€™s getting a Wildtrak)

So, Iā€™m thinking the new Bronco will give me years of service with little to no issues.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I beat the piss out of my Jeep and even parked it upside. Not sure how many engines can do that and survive. Zero issues that were not trail related breaks. The 4.0L inline 6 and the NV3550 transmission are bullet proof.
The JKs, unfortunately did not follow up with the same reliability. The JLs, IMHO fixed everything I did not like on the JK, but have had the manual transmission issue. The steering thing is a non issue and easy fix for me.

OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you all for your input.

Buy a G-Wagon if you want quality. Donā€™t have the money for it? Tough buy an over priced piece of junk like a Jeep Wrangler or go with a reputable brand like Ford thatā€™ll last a lifetime.
This is part of the problem. I'm coming out of a boring but rock solid reliable old Volvo. Mine is at 131k and all I've ever done to it is tires, fluids, brakes and hoses. The same is true of my wifes old V70, which we still have as a spare car for trailer towing (3850 tow rating) that has 167k.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bought my 2012 JK brand new in September 2011. It's been a daily driver and weekend wheeler the whole time. It's only mildly modded with a 2.5" lift and 33's so I'm not overly stressing any drivetrain components but it's been basically trouble free. Only thing I've had to do that wasn't routine oil changes and brakes was a thermostat and a battery. Best vehicle I've ever owned, which isn't saying much considering it's only my third but the point still stands.

Sponsored

EMrider

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 15 JKUR has been a great vehicle. 100k trouble free miles. I donā€™t wheel it often, but when I do it gets worked hard. IMHO, the 3.6 is a great motor. All that said, Iā€™m looking forward to my Bronco.
R

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am not expecting any major issues with the ecoboost, but my dealers lifetime power train warranty gives me some piece of mind.

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ranger frame... tested transmission.... reputable motor.... while the bronco is ā€œnewā€ the parts it is made of are some of the best of several other parts in the Ford lineup. Anyone with any doubt should consider that....

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Deep down I am a Ford guy and have had a range of Mustangs and F150's. Back in the 90's I bought a used Jeep and then in 1998 bought a new Jeep TJ because it was a redesign and had a new coil suspension.
Yeah....they screwed the pooch on that. The TJ spent more time in the dealer for the first 6 months than in my driveway. Finally had to get an attorney to work through the lemon law with Jeep/Chrysler. They did finally repair the drivetrain, (new driveshaft & Transfer case) but it was plagued with minor, PIA issues until I got rid of it in 2005. It could have been the bad apple, but certainly didn't leave me with great confidence in Jeep dealer's ability to understand/repair difficult issues.
Been with Ford/Lincoln ever since and have hopes the Bronco will deliver like the F150 does.

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Old time Ford guy, The only other vehicles I have owned were jeeps. Had a 81 Levi edition that was a nightmare. Days of vacumn controlled computers also had 2000 TJ and 2006 TJ. All but the first were fairly dependable but were just used as my playthings for trips etc, The one huge difference I find is in initial quality and finishes. Lost 3 blower motors on 2006 and window stripping around windshield was loose less than 6 months after getting vehicle. All that being said I loved my Jeeps. Sold the last one almost 2 years ago in anticipation of getting Bronco

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you all for your input.

This is part of the problem. I'm coming out of a boring but rock solid reliable old Volvo. Mine is at 131k and all I've ever done to it is tires, fluids, brakes and hoses. The same is true of my wifes old V70, which we still have as a spare car for trailer towing (3850 tow rating) that has 167k.
What Volvo model is yours?

they still are rock solid? I didnā€™t think they were once the 240 was killed in 93.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
Iā€™ve had my JKUR since ā€˜08 with 155K miles.

FCA voided my lifetime drivetrain warranty when I missed a 5 year inspection, even though the dealer inspected it during regular maintenance a few months before. As much as I have read about warranty voiding issues on this site, it sounds like Ford is equally bad about this.

Outside of normal wear and tear replacements, Iā€™ve had these issues:
- driverā€™s side cracked exhaust header x2
- head gasket leak
- valve cover gasket leaks
- oil leak from the bottom corner of the engine front cover
- A/C evaporator replacement
- burns about 1 qt of oil for every 1000 miles

It would have been nice to have that warranty in covering all of these things (but the AC). I did manage to get the replacement parts for the front engine cover out of them, but paid the labor myself.

The oil burning is a known issue, that they say is ā€œnormalā€. 3.8L JK owners have tried all sorts of things/oils/additives to reduce it with varying levels of success.

The timing chain blew out on my cousinā€™s JK (he bought used and suspected the prior owner didnā€™t pay attention to the oil level), and the remanufactured 3.8 he put in it doesnā€™t burn oil. So we know it is build quality, and maybe the 195 degree vs 180 degree thermostat and 5w20 vs 5w30 oil.

Anyway, do I trust my JK? Yes, properly maintained it has been a rock for these years. (Heavy knocking on wood.)

Do I feel my Jeep experience is any different than the Ford experiences I have seen discussed on this site? No not really.

The one thing I will also say, is if you are not a do it yourself type, the routine maintenance costs can get expensive for diff fluid changes, transfer case fluid changes, tires, etc. I donā€™t know how Ford trucks are for this.

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From a customer service standpoint, I canā€™t get a return call from the sales manager at my local Ford dealer where I made my order. Meanwhile, as my disenchantment with Ford grows, I reached out online last night for a quote from the local Jeep dealer, who texted me today at 8 a.m. jumping right on it and asking questions about what I would like, so he can look across the dealerā€™s network of other lots in other towns.

Will I switch? I donā€™t know. I want a Bronco and love the Base as well as its price point. But this experience has been terrible. I last bought a vehicle from the dealer six years ago and canā€™t get the time of day, but I bought from the Jeep dealer 15 years ago, and they are 100% responsive.

Looking at Gladiator Sport.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have had lot's of ford's and only one Jeep. It was an LJ with the manual and 4.0l. solid car, normal issues to 110K miles. Blower motor switch, ball joints, laughing monkey fix. The 3.8 Jeep was not good, 3.6 seems solid. My step brother has been a mechanic since the mid 80s. He was a Ford and GM tech and has since run how own shop for about 15 years. what does he drive? He has one of just about everything (including a hill climb Jeep C5 with a 502 Chevy). He is convinced there is not much difference manufacturer to manufacturer, more based on model and particular issues. Bronco is a Ranger (I know it's all new, but it's not) coming out of a good plant. Will there be issues? Probably, but overall I am confident it will be a good vehicle and at least in the short term will have awesome resale too.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™ve had my JKUR since ā€˜08 with 155K miles.

FCA voided my lifetime drivetrain warranty when I missed a 5 year inspection, even though the dealer inspected it during regular maintenance a few months before. As much as I have read about warranty voiding issues on this site, it sounds like Ford is equally bad about this.

Outside of normal wear and tear replacements, Iā€™ve had these issues:
- driverā€™s side cracked exhaust header x2
- head gasket leak
- valve cover gasket leaks
- oil leak from the bottom corner of the engine front cover
- A/C evaporator replacement
- burns about 1 qt of oil for every 1000 miles

It would have been nice to have that warranty in covering all of these things (but the AC). I did manage to get the replacement parts for the front engine cover out of them, but paid the labor myself.

The oil burning is a known issue, that they say is ā€œnormalā€. 3.8L JK owners have tried all sorts of things/oils/additives to reduce it with varying levels of success.

The timing chain blew out on my cousinā€™s JK (he bought used and suspected the prior owner didnā€™t pay attention to the oil level), and the remanufactured 3.8 he put in it doesnā€™t burn oil. So we know it is build quality, and maybe the 195 degree vs 180 degree thermostat and 5w20 vs 5w30 oil.

Anyway, do I trust my JK? Yes, properly maintained it has been a rock for these years. (Heavy knocking on wood.)

Do I feel my Jeep experience is any different than the Ford experiences I have seen discussed on this site? No not really.

The one thing I will also say, is if you are not a do it yourself type, the routine maintenance costs can get expensive for diff fluid changes, transfer case fluid changes, tires, etc. I donā€™t know how Ford trucks are for this.
Similar experience here except Iā€™ve only put 20k miles on my 2010. (Itā€™s at 152k right now) The service records indicate it had very good maintenance and not many repairs for the prior owners though. Iā€™ve replaced a few minor things myself but thatā€™s it. (Also needs an oil pan gasket for a super slow leak but thatā€™s $30 at most.)

I expect my Bronco to be the same as my 2005 explorer which made it to 150k in my possession with basically zero repairs over the lifetime(dad bought it at 30k and I drove it from 100k onwards). Oil changes, tires, brakes, and a rear axle shaft (the rear IFS on those is not the best) and thatā€™s it.
Sponsored