Sponsored

Jeep vs Ford - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences on longevity and durability sought.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have purchased two JKUs(12 and 16). Both of them were bullet proof. One of them had a leaky transfer case seal that was replaced under warranty. Otherwise it was drive and change the oil.

My wife has a 15 Explorer, and it has had a failed AC compressor, 2 electrical issues, some sort of idle air control issue, and 2 safety recalls. This is all in 60k miles.

In my experience, Jeep makes a less tech heavy but more robust vehicle.
Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
New vehicle or used? I've owned at least one Ford since the 1990s and two Jeeps between 1998 and 2008.

The Jeep 4.0L I-6 is damned near bulletproof. I have heard good things about the Pentastar 3.6L. In fact, Motorreviewer.com states the 3.6L is one of the most reliable motors out there. The transmissions, transfer cases and other drivetrain components used in Jeeps are robust and have few issues, comparatively speaking.

I worked for a large, one of the largest in the nation, dealer networks. I was also ASE certified in engine repair, damage analysis, service advisor, etc. Working for that dealer network, I handled warranty claims for extended warranties; warranties for vehicles outside of the manufacturer's warranty. I saw more claims for turbos than most would imagine. I am very disappointed the Bronco is only offered as an EcoBoost/turbo, as I would much rather have a naturally aspirated motor.

All of my Fords were moderate or moderately poor in reliability. The electronics, engine, transmission and driveline were less reliable than the two Jeep vehicles I owned. The Fords suffered from transmission failure, leaking head gaskets and rear main seals, window regulators, entertainment centers, leaking axle seals, brakes that wore prematurely or warped rotors, and more.

I have low expectations for the Bronco. I expect the electronics to go haywire just after the 3/36 warranty expires. I expect the turbos to be less reliable, and the brakes and CV to wear more quickly than comparable vehicles.
Scathing. I have owned Ford vehicles all my life. Never had a transmission problem with any of them. ZERO

Had to chime in, as i have seen other people say Fords have transmission problems. This is simply not true. I could go on about the rest of your post, but i'll leave it at that.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

New vehicle or used? I've owned at least one Ford since the 1990s and two Jeeps between 1998 and 2008.

The Jeep 4.0L I-6 is damned near bulletproof. I have heard good things about the Pentastar 3.6L. In fact, Motorreviewer.com states the 3.6L is one of the most reliable motors out there. The transmissions, transfer cases and other drivetrain components used in Jeeps are robust and have few issues, comparatively speaking.

I worked for a large, one of the largest in the nation, dealer networks. I was also ASE certified in engine repair, damage analysis, service advisor, etc. Working for that dealer network, I handled warranty claims for extended warranties; warranties for vehicles outside of the manufacturer's warranty. I saw more claims for turbos than most would imagine. I am very disappointed the Bronco is only offered as an EcoBoost/turbo, as I would much rather have a naturally aspirated motor.

All of my Fords were moderate or moderately poor in reliability. The electronics, engine, transmission and driveline were less reliable than the two Jeep vehicles I owned. The Fords suffered from transmission failure, leaking head gaskets and rear main seals, window regulators, entertainment centers, leaking axle seals, brakes that wore prematurely or warped rotors, and more.

I have low expectations for the Bronco. I expect the electronics to go haywire just after the 3/36 warranty expires. I expect the turbos to be less reliable, and the brakes and CV to wear more quickly than comparable vehicles.
Wow i couldnt agree more all those that are getting a 2.7 twin turbo wtf twin problems and that engine bay🙈
Ford really dissapointed me with the offerings as well.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know of multiple people with Ford Auto Transmission failures before 60,000 miles and it's one of the reasons why I previously never bought a Ford. I have been leasing and returning them before they hit 30,000 miles.
On 2 of my Escapes, I have had the same issue. When in sport mode, the transmission will get stuck into a specific gear and the only way to break that is shift out of sport mode.
But
That aside, I'm taking a chance on the Bronco. I do think the 2.7 engine and the 10Speed Transmissions are proven and am not worried. I am also OK with getting things fixed under warranty if anything happens.

Qman68

Outer Banks
First Name
Q
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang V6 prem, 98 Jeep Cherokee LTD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
We were an AMC family until me. Got a '98 XJ in the driveway, family owned since new. Sat in a field for a decade with a tree fallen on it and all of nature using it for shelter. Got it back to the house. Checked fluids and they were ok, swapped oil anyhow. New battery, turn key and running perfect since...with the regular drips...no late model Jeep is dripless. In line 6 4.0 is solid. 270K. But RUST. Jeeps and Fords RUST like they were intended/designed to do so! Poor drainage, no access holes for power sprayers. This will always be the battle with an body on frame. It's the frame interiors that we'll all need to maintain.

The '1 1 Mustang, 240K. Throttle body replace/recall, cats went, but electronics have been fine, battery disconnect to reset fixes most issues...no glaring failures. The bloody paint though, peeling everywhere on the hood. Now that they've had more time with Aluminum body panels, I hope we don't have the same issues with the Bronco's; paint warranty is only for perforation, not peeling. They've both been better than the 02 Passat, won't buy a VW again, the Golf was fine but that Passat was always throwing codes about something.

We do all the work on the Ford and Jeep's. Couldn't say that about the VW's!

Jeep or Ford. North American made and proud of it. Both will last with care.

The Bronco will be fine. Will there we issues, oh ya! But it's the vehicle we want and we will put up with just about anything for the things we want.

Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rented a soft top jeep a few weeks ago in Florida and had a blast. The 2.0l engine was rather loud but extremely fun to drive. Id have no problem buying one if that was my only choice. Ive been a Ford guy (Toyota prior to that) for the last 25 years. I do have concerns about a new model but I've been genuinely impressed with Ford reliability over the years. Over the long haul, definitely give Ford the thumbs up over FCA.

Robertriley

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, 36 ford convertible, 59 MGA, 57 Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We've owned a 2009 Jeep JK, 2008 Jeep Commander and a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee and commander have really had no issues. The JK has had to have the rear-end replaces and bearing in the engine and only has 77,000 mile on it right now. those thing were done at about 50,000 an 55,000 miles. I had a 2004 Ford Mach 1 and they replace the brake system right out of the gate. The also had issues and replaces the trans, clutch and engine but all was replaced for free through Ford. Jeep screwed me whenever they could when it came to warranty. My dad 2004 Cobra and beat the hell out of it without a single problem.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Comparing Jeep to a Bronco reminds me of comparing the NY Yankees to the Boston Red Sox.

Both Ford & Jeep are great franchises, one has a longer history of success, in off road vehicles.
I think this is Ford's year to win it all!

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Of all the Fords I have had (Mustangs, F-150's, Bronco II's) I have yet to have quality issues with the hardware. The dealerships though, have driven me away from Ford and to Jeep. I cant stand the Ford dealerships and service departments in my area. I agree with what others have said about the quality of the components being used in the new Bronco and I think the vehicle will be solid. I dont look forward to dealing with the dealerships again though.

Bob Britton

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's my story and thoughts as a Jeep owner anxiously awaiting my new BL Bronco. I've owned a handful of off-road vehicles dating back to the late 70's starting with a Toyota FJ-40 then moving into a 73 Bronco (regret selling) and finally a 2004 Jeep Rubicon that I bought new and still own. Each time I moved into a new vehicle I question my decision as I am giving up a proven, reliable platform with an iconic reputation, and each time I was able to justified my decision because I was moving into something with updated technology and most importantly for me, safer and more comfortable to drive when out on paved roads, witch if your being honest is the majority of the time unless you trailer your rig to the trailhead.
I'm in my 60's now and comfort & safety are primary factors for me, more so than in years past. While my Jeep TJ with the inline straight six has served me well over the last 17 years with no problems (the jeep has been flawless in all regards) I'm ready to embrace the comfort and technology of the new Bronco. Do I have concerns about all the electronics on the new Bronco, sure I do (I'm old school) but when you look at how many Fords are out there world wide it gives me confidence, honestly I'm not to concerned about reliability as I think Ford nailed it with the new Bronco.
As for the Jeep, while it has been very reliable I am just tired of the ride quality on road, off-road the Jeep is stellar! I would be lying if I said I won't miss the Jeep, but like I said I'm old and ready to move on...

Sponsored
OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Someone above brought up another issue.

Rust.

As someone who has mainly owned European cars of some kind for the last 20 years, rust is just unheard of. Even up her in MA. My still running 19 year old Volvo wagon doesn't have a single spot.

How have Fords and Jeeps been lately?

The rust mention got me thinking. Mechanical stuff can be fixed. But once a car starts to rust, there really isn't much you can do. Sure you can fix the "spot" but if there is one spot, there is usually progressing corrosion everywhere.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone above brought up another issue.

Rust.

As someone who has mainly owned European cars of some kind for the last 20 years, rust is just unheard of. Even up her in MA. My still running 19 year old Volvo wagon doesn't have a single spot.

How have Fords and Jeeps been lately?

The rust mention got me thinking. Mechanical stuff can be fixed. But once a car starts to rust, there really isn't much you can do. Sure you can fix the "spot" but if there is one spot, there is usually progressing corrosion everywhere.
My 2016 F350 has surface rust on some areas on the frame and the hitch. No critical areas have any rust after 5 years. No rust anyplace else. There will be zero rust on the fenders and doors of the Bronco since they are all aluminum.

OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
JJack50,

I hadn't thought of that. Doors and fenders are aluminum? What is the rear door made of?

How about sills and rocker panels?

Thanks,

Don

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

JJack50,

I hadn't thought of that. Doors and fenders are aluminum? What is the rear door made of?

How about sills and rocker panels?

Thanks,

Don
The body tub is steel but that is fully dipped and painted. Very few modern vehicles have any problems with rust in those areas anymore.

ginseng

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Oldsmobile LSS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Still studying the Bronco Badlands.
Need to be prepared for buying my next off road vehicle whatever it is.
My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with factory tow is approaching 100K miles.
My 25 year old Oldsmobile LSS with 318K miles is my daily driver.

Bronco Badlands off road comparison to Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk:
The Bronco had Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires and the Cherokee had Firestone Destination A/T tires which are not the snow tire version.
I have had Blizzaks and they are amazing on snow and ice. Firestone non snow tires don't cut it. Been there done that.

My Cherokee has Mopar rock rails, are rock rails available for the Bronco?
Definitely need rock rails, mine are scratched and dented from driving my fire trails.

I have had lots of recalls, TSBs, batteries and trail damage.
The complete saga is here: https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com
My local Ford dealership wants me to buy a Bronco asap.

Hopefully I won't need to factory order what ever vehicle I decide to get until the pandemic subsides and the chip shortage is resolved.

Constructive highway and off road comments about the Badlands is encouraged.
Sponsored