Sponsored

Jeep vs Ford - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences on longevity and durability sought.

OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nothing goes through the snow as well as a snow tire. Any vehicle with a snow tire will have an unfair advantage against even another vehicle with mud tires.

Fortunately you can now get truck sized snow tires.
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3. Its available in both 285/70-17 and315/70-17 sizes.
Sponsored

RG7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B8 A4, 2018 Triumph Street Triple R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Still studying the Bronco Badlands.
Need to be prepared for buying my next off road vehicle whatever it is.
My 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 with factory tow is approaching 100K miles.
My 25 year old Oldsmobile LSS with 318K miles is my daily driver.

Bronco Badlands off road comparison to Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk:
The Bronco had Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires and the Cherokee had Firestone Destination A/T tires which are not the snow tire version.
I have had Blizzaks and they are amazing on snow and ice. Firestone non snow tires don't cut it. Been there done that.

My Cherokee has Mopar rock rails, are rock rails available for the Bronco?
Definitely need rock rails, mine are scratched and dented from driving my fire trails.

I have had lots of recalls, TSBs, batteries and trail damage.
The complete saga is here: https://www.jeepcherokeeclub.com
My local Ford dealership wants me to buy a Bronco asap.

Hopefully I won't need to factory order what ever vehicle I decide to get until the pandemic subsides and the chip shortage is resolved.

Constructive highway and off road comments about the Badlands is encouraged.
Hey there, you’re looking at the Bronco Sport. This is the forum for the 2/4door Bronco.

You’ll have better luck with questions about the sport here: https://www.broncosportforum.com/

Reactions: abe

ginseng

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Oldsmobile LSS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey there, you’re looking at the Bronco Sport. This is the forum for the 2/4door Bronco.

You’ll have better luck with questions about the sport here: https://www.broncosportforum.com/
I hate it when we go to the wrong forum.
We have old Cherokees, new Cherokees, Grand Cherokees.
Thanks for telling me where to go.

ginseng

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Oldsmobile LSS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do I remove myself from this forum?

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

HI all,

I'm specifically hoping that jeep owners can comment. This would be a useless question to ask on a jeep forum. But the fact that you are here means that you are open to other brands and realistic about your jeep.

Here's my situation. I keep my cars for a long time. Whether I get a Bronco or Jeep, I'll want to keep it for 11-12 years and around 150k miles.

Which vehicle is More likely to make it that long without major issues.

I know F150s seem to run and run and run.
With all due respect... how the hee-haw are we supposed to freaking know? Last time I checked, none of our Bronco's have even been built yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With all due respect... how the hee-haw are we supposed to freaking know? Last time I checked, none of our Bronco's have even been built yet.
You aren't a very careful reader huh? My first sentence was asking for jeep owners first hand experience as a baseline.

The Bronco isn't significantly different from other fords, particularly the F150. Its common that certain brands rather than certain models tend to last. Further, the motors in the Bronco have been in use in other ford Vehicles for 5+ years. So there is a lot of real world experience out there.

Rust tends to follow brands rather than vehicles. So someone with a body on frame ford that has or hasn't had rust could provide good info.

So, you see, we can gleen a lot

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Both Ford and Jeep have decent track records for vehicle longevity. So really either vehicle will be very reliable IF you take care of it.

Maintenance really is the key. We've got a Suzuki Sidekick with 250K on it, a Ford F350 with 369K and the wife's DD is a Ford Escape with 189K on it. We also had a Toyota 4Runner with 240K on it. All of these, we bought with low miles and drove them for years. Take care of the rig and it'll last years.

That said, it also depends if you get a good vehicle. All major manufacturers have had models that are unreliable and all of them have put out a few lemons in their reliable models.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You aren't a very careful reader huh? My first sentence was asking for jeep owners first hand experience as a baseline.

The Bronco isn't significantly different from other fords, particularly the F150. Its common that certain brands rather than certain models tend to last. Further, the motors in the Bronco have been in use in other ford Vehicles for 5+ years. So there is a lot of real world experience out there.

Rust tends to follow brands rather than vehicles. So someone with a body on frame ford that has or hasn't had rust could provide good info.

So, you see, we can gleen a lot
I stand corrected. Thank you. 😇

Wveddy

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU with LS, 79 F100, 73 Cuda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Owned multiple Jeeps and Fords. Currently have a 14 Grand Hemi Overland w/ 140k and no issues. I have lots of miles towing on the grand as well. And a 08 JKU with a LS Swap- lots of issues there. The key to Jeep & Chrysler in general was FCA and global sourcing. The 3.6 and Zf transmissions are global platforms used in about all their cars/trucks. ZF 8speed is in a bunch of brands and is a great transmission. My grands have been pretty flawless, the JKU is mostly my fault for customizing the crap out of it. Regardless of the bronco, probably going to buy another Grand or Ram 1500. Interior quality, ride, and infotainment is way better than Ford IMO. And if you decide a Bronco is not for you, I have a really nice JK with a LS that will be for sale here some time. :)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2018 defender with 268,000 and never an issue never anything but gas and oil you could have welded the hood shut...psych !

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every choice has a compromise. I'm no fan of manually shifting gears, but I'm no fan of the Ford 10R80. Do I take the chance with it or go with a manual tranny? I prefer more power, and you would think V6, but does the 4 cylinder have a higher red-line? If I install a second transfer case and get in the 180:1 crawl ratio I need rpm's more than power to get going. I've never owned a Jeep and it's been years since I've owned a Ford. It's a scary time for many of us, but the Bronco seems to be worth the risk.

OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wveddy - great point. I forgot the Jeep used the ZF 8 speed. That is probably the best AT in the world right now.

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Owned a Wrangler for 6 years (pre FCA), loved it, never had problems with it.
Owned a Grand Cherokee for 3 years until about year ago. Loved it visually (materials, 5.7L V8 feel, etc.) but it turned out to be a mechanical and electrical system nightmare. The 4th time we had to have it flatbeded to the dealer, the tow truck driver said that jeeps were the number one volume brand they transported. So by default, I believe that Ford will be better.

den_jkur

First Edition
First Name
Deepu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just bought our 3rd Rubicon last week, our 2013 and 2017 JKURs did not give us any troubles on and off trails.

This one is JLUR 4xe, will weight and see what issues the batteries will bring..

Ford Bronco Jeep vs Ford - Thoughts, Opinions, Experiences on longevity and durability sought. IMG_1298

OP
OP

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since you seem to flip your car every 4 years, probably no problems. The real concerns are 10 years down the road when a normal jeep is doing find and this needs a new battery for $10k
Sponsored