M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Explain it to an idiot such as myself so I can understand. My "theory" yes it's a theory because Ford hasn't published shit so far, is the 2.3l or 2.7l on a Squatched Bronco will probably be lucky to get 18 mpg. Once again, it's MY THEORY...
Well they haven't published the Bronco MPG estimates yet, but they have for the F-150.
Ford Bronco Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 Launch Edition starts at $74,995 1614202353819

Seeing as the only difference between these is the engine, you could expect to see a similar difference for the Bronco.

If the F-150 can get 19/24/21 with the 2.7L, even a Squatched Bronco should do better, because it has less frontal area and is lighter...
The Ranger gets 20 city/24 hwy/22 combined with the 2.3L, which should be pretty close for the Bronco...

All of that to say is that your "lucky to get 18" theory is most likely a little low.
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep, this is Jeep making a last stab at dick meaasuring. I'd reckon that Chrysler might be back on their heels a little bit with the available off-raoders on the market, most of which are really damn capable at what they do.

the people that buy this don't care that a tuned 2.7T will make the same amount of torque at half the price... They'll just proudly declare:

"I gOt MuH VeEeEeE-8!!!!111"

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OK My bad... Ford will have to put whatever V8 they have in it.. 400hp? 425hp? The point of the statement was, we DON'T need a V8 from a Mustang GT dropped in there.
The V8 from the Mustang IS the weakest V8 Ford makes - in the F150 it makes 400hp/410tq. Ford decided a decade ago that for anything less than about 400hp, a turbo 4 or turbo 6 will do the job. They did not invest in poverty-spec V8 like GM's 4.8 LS.

And to your second point, not how what works?

Explain it to an idiot such as myself so I can understand.
A large part of achieving fuel efficiency is minimizing frictional and parasitic losses in the engine. These take the form of pumping oil, spinning camshafts against valve springs, spinning the mass of the rotating assembly, the motion of each piston ring against the cylinder wall, and more. Given identical cylinder sizes, a V8 will always have more frictional losses than a V6, because it has more surface area contact between piston rings and cylinder walls, it has more valve springs to compress, it has more rotational mass to spin, and it has a fixed amount of displacement to compress, which causes more pumping losses.

So in general, at steady state and out of boost, an engine with fewer cylinders will use less fuel to produce the necessary ~25 horsepower for cruising. Now turbos don't magically create power out of nowhere, they just supply the engine with enough air that it can use more fuel. For a given maximum power output, a turbo engine will use as much or slightly more fuel than an NA engine. That's why EcoBoost towing gas mileage is bad - once loaded up it spends way more time dipping into boost, so it loses the advantage of being a smaller engine.

But in the F150, the 2.7 gets a real world 2mpg combined better than the 5.0. In the Mustang, the 2.3 gets a real world 4-5mpg better than the 5.0.

That's enough of a difference that you can't just hand-wave it away and say "it'll probably be the same."

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No thanks!!!

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The V8 from the Mustang IS the weakest V8 Ford makes - in the F150 it makes 400hp/410tq. Ford decided a decade ago that for anything less than about 400hp, a turbo 4 or turbo 6 will do the job. They did not invest in poverty-spec V8 like GM's 4.8 LS.
Ford's infamous 4.8L that is to replace the 5.0L could be a fit.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

A large part of achieving fuel efficiency is minimizing frictional and parasitic losses in the engine. These take the form of pumping oil, spinning camshafts against valve springs, spinning the mass of the rotating assembly, the motion of each piston ring against the cylinder wall, and more. Given identical cylinder sizes, a V8 will always have more frictional losses than a V6, because it has more surface area contact between piston rings and cylinder walls, it has more valve springs to compress, it has more rotational mass to spin, and it has a fixed amount of displacement to compress, which causes more pumping losses.

So in general, at steady state and out of boost, an engine with fewer cylinders will use less fuel to produce the necessary ~25 horsepower for cruising. Now turbos don't magically create power out of nowhere, they just supply the engine with enough air that it can use more fuel. For a given maximum power output, a turbo engine will use as much or slightly more fuel than an NA engine. That's why EcoBoost towing gas mileage is bad - once loaded up it spends way more time dipping into boost, so it loses the advantage of being a smaller engine.

But in the F150, the 2.7 gets a real world 2mpg combined better than the 5.0. In the Mustang, the 2.3 gets a real world 4-5mpg better than the 5.0.

That's enough of a difference that you can't just hand-wave it away and say "it'll probably be the same."
What mustang v8 are you referencing? My 2018 gt was 460hp 420 tq.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wtf

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wait, what, how does a Jeep Wrangler w/ a 392 Hemi start at a higher price than the RAM TRX w/ a Hellcat?...
Can you take the top and doors off a TRX? Gotta add that convertible surcharge

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wait, what, how does a Jeep Wrangler w/ a 392 Hemi start at a higher price than the RAM TRX w/ a Hellcat?...
It's a Jeep thing, nobody understands 😵