Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler trim equivalent to Black Diamond?

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m starting to lose hope I’ll see a new Bronco anytime in 2021 or even halfway into 2022 given the hardtop production issues. So I started perusing the Jeep website. The trim levels are Greek to me though. What would be the closest trim level to Bronco’s Black Diamond?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rubicon, if you’re gonna actually off road it. It’ll have sway bar disconnect that puts it in line with the Badlands as well.

Jeep only offers one trim with front and back lockers AFAIK.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m starting to lose hope I’ll see a new Bronco anytime in 2021 or even halfway into 2022 given the hardtop production issues. So I started perusing the Jeep website. The trim levels are Greek to me though. What would be the closest trim level to Bronco’s Black Diamond?
Squatch equivalent package is only available in rubicon 4dr (or 392). No 2dr squatch equivalent is available. Also only 4.54 currently.

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t care about Sasquatch equivalent (didn’t order it for my Bronco), nor do I need hardcore rock crawling capability.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Willys I think.
Don’t think Willys has any lockers, just a limited slip
I don’t care about Sasquatch equivalent (didn’t order it for my Bronco), nor do I need hardcore rock crawling capability.
If you don't need lockers, you will want a Willys if you want low cost or maybe a Sahara if you are looking for a bit more 'luxury'.

A Willys is a lower trim but has a limited slip rear dif, so at least its something. Sahara is more meant for those that want a Wrangler with style over substance (off-road).

Truth be told, that limited slip in The Willys is all most people need.

Edit: Willys is usually a lower trim.. but can be specced to 50k.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It depends what you care about.

If you are talking strictly off-roading capabilities... hard to make a comparison. The Black Diamond comes with rear locking differential. The only trim in the Wrangler that offers locking differentials is the Rubicon. But the Rubicon is more similar to the Badlands than it is to Black Diamond.

Personally I'd match them up as follows. Caveat being that this is far from a perfect 1:1 match.

• Big Bend = Sport S / Islander
  • Black Diamond = Willys
  • Outer Banks = Sahara / Freedom
  • Badlands = Rubicon
  • Wildtrak = Sahara Altitude / High Altitude
---

Edit:

Almost forgot one thing... Jeep likes to have various trims that I like to call "sub-trims". (No idea what they're actually called.) The low-end trims are called "Sport", while the high-end trims are called "Altitude".

For example... a Willys Sport is the stripped-down version of the Willys trim. Then there is the standard Willys trim. Willys Altitude doesn't exist, but if it did it would be the high-end version of the Willys trim.

Die-hard Wrangler people probably will disagree with me. But in my opinion there are only four trims: Sport, Willys, Sahara, and Rubicon. Everything else... including the odd-ball trims such as Islander, Freedom, and RHD... are just variations on the core four trims.
  • Sport - base level
  • Willys - entry-level off road
  • Sahara - all about that style
  • Rubicon - advanced off road

Last edited:

Underflow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I nearly went with a Willy at the beginning of the summer, but decided to stick with my BD order which is now being shipped to me. (I went with Black Diamond, 4dr, soft top, manual, no tow, no lux/mid package, 8/3 blend date.)

I'm inferring that a hard top is important to you. You can always get a soft top now, and convert to hart top down the road. Soft tops can handle snow, but I wouldn't leave it parked outside during storms over ~6-inches. I'll be using my soft top in cold weather area (ie, northern lake tahoe).

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Willys is the equivalent trim to the Black Diamond.

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would agree, except it doesn't have the rear locker.
No, it doesn’t have a rear locker, just LSD as others stated. Also has Rubicon suspension.

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, it doesn’t have a rear locker, just LSD as others stated. Also has Rubicon suspension.
Correct, I'm saying Willys is the equivalent of the BD, but the Willys doesnt have a rear locker like the BD. I didn't think the Willys had the rubicon suspension. Good to know.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Correct, I'm saying Willys is the equivalent of the BD, but the Willys doesnt have a rear locker like the BD. I didn't think the Willys had the rubicon suspension. Good to know.
It will be interesting to see if Willys gets a rear locker - at least as an option - in the future.

Side note: the 2007 / 2008 JK catalog listed sway bar disconnect as an option on the non-Rubicon models, and if you optioned the SwBD in 2008 you could option rear lockers on an X.

Also, Rubicon 20 degree ramp indexes from that 2008 catalog:
2Dr = 638 connected and 822 disconnected​
4Dr = 484 connected and 644 disconnected​

Badlands:
2Dr = 560 connected and 700 disconnected​
4Dr = 500 connected and 620 disconnected​

Net: This is why competition is good. Jeep got sleepy and took away the off road options. (Guess the price of the SwBD option made the rear locker pretty unattractive and the Rubicon more attractive).

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Black Diamond is worth the wait. I’ve had mine over a week now, and I am so glad I didn’t fold to the weekly temptation for over a year to cancel and get a Willys. The BD is way better looking and probably more capable. Haven’t had a chance to get off road yet, but soon.

Sahara = Outer Banks
Rubicon = Badlands
Willys = BD, I guess
Willys Sport = Big Bend?

Side note: @Underflow, at first glance, I thought your avatar was this album cover.

F2DC967F-5F3C-4861-BB0D-CA4F248236F0.jpeg
Sponsored