First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@GrayGhostDog Problem I found is I can't spec them similarly. I want the tow package and premium sound. That cost me $41,050 with the Jeep and $48,194 for the Bronco (actually I didn't spec the Bronco with premium sound because it was actually even more); over $7,000 more for the Badlands I ordered than the Rubicon I ordered.

So, yeah, if you add tow and premium sound to the Bronco, you're tied into the Lux Package for thousands, whereas the Jeep offers the options more "a la carte". So, for me, and what I wanted the Jeep is thousands less than the Bronco, and I'm also not getting a bunch of stuff that I really don't want.

If you spec a Rubicon first, the way you want it, then spec a Bronco you may find the Jeep is significantly less money. If you spec a Bronco and then try to add all of the things to a Jeep you'll find the Jeep more expensive. It comes down to what do you want, not spec'ing them the same. I want a 2D soft top (not available on the Bronco), manual transmission, tow package, premium sound, heavy duty electrical and aux switches with the lowest crawl ratio I can get. Obviously if you want all of the options, then you spec them both with all the options and the Jeep is more. That doesn't mean the Jeep costs more for everyone though, because not everyone wants the High or the Lux; although, they may be tied into it for one thing they can't live without. So, to spec a Bronco the way I have my Rubicon is a $~8k difference. Base Rubicon with tow and premium sound, and a couple more things ($41k) base Badlands with nothing more than tow and premium sound ($49k).

I told myself I wasn't going to buy another vehicle with less than 300 hp, but the Badlands with manual is only offered with the 2.3L and is 275 hp (not running premium). The Jeep Rubicon is 285 hp with the base engine. So, if I want either one of the (on paper) best 4x4 available, it'll be without hitting the 300 hp mark. I only had 190 hp in either of the last two Jeeps I owned and never lacked enough power, so 285 hp oughta do it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you read my post the wrong way, “Man”…. What I’m saying is there’s no reason in adding all those components at the factory (or aftermarket) to a sport when the only thing that you would be missing from the sport after adding all the drivetrain/suspension components would be power windows/locks, and touch screen radio. to be on par with a base Rubicon (Minus the small cosmetic parts that the Rubicon has over the sport).
But you got me on the stay bar disconnect ;) I forgot to list that.
I hear you, but Rubicon isn't just a small cosmetic upgrade from the Sport. It's actually a pretty decent upgrade for those who don't want to wrench and build themselves. Off the shelf, it's pretty damn serious of an upgrade.

Just don't want anyone to think of the Rubicon as just an ego package; it isn't. Can you do it yourself? Sure, for around the same cost as the Rubicon, but as long as you wheel, it's not a Poseur package with "stickers" on the hood.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which will be out first, and widely available, the Jeep Recon Extreme or the Bronco Badlands?
Jeep. Just look at the fender lip extension hack on the recon to get it out quick (they probably assume most people will remove it). The 100:1 jeep will probably also be widely available before mansquatch.

Unfortunately the 392 is overpriced and has painted top/fenders (screams mall crawler). Maybe the 2022 configurations will be more interesting.

Jeep has clearly regained the lead in stock offroad specs for 4dr models. However, they are still lacking in engine options, frameless doors, and street performance (street-capable 4A and IFS).

I think Jeep has a winner if the recon pkg adds no more than $2500 (lift/tires/wheels).

RobPS

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, MB E350 Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

eh...still won't buy a Jeep

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"When the Extreme Recon package hits the order sheet later this year, it will be reserved for four-door Wrangler Rubicons and the monstrous Rubicon 392"

From my standpoint, that takes a lot of wind out of its sails. If it were available on the Sport with lockers, then they are getting somewhere.
I'm sure they are just testing the waters instead of going all in. If it proves popular they will probably make it available across all or most trim levels.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep. Just look at the fender lip extension hack on the recon to get it out quick (they probably assume most people will remove it). The 100:1 jeep will probably also be widely available before mansquatch.

Unfortunately the 392 is overpriced and has painted top/fenders (screams mall crawler). Maybe the 2022 configurations will be more interesting.

Jeep has clearly regained the lead in stock offroad specs for 4dr models. However, they are still lacking in engine options, frameless doors, and street performance (street-capable 4A and IFS).

I think Jeep has a winner if the recon pkg adds no more than $2500 (lift/tires/wheels).
Jeep already added a full-time 4x4 system to the Rubicon, retaining the 4:1 ratio. That was something I wanted as far back as 1998, wished they offered the Selec-trac in the Wrangler (they didn't have a Rock-Trac in 1998). They essentially did that with the Rubicon. You have the choice of standard Rock-Trac 4:1 or the full-time Rock-Trac 4:1. That right there, whether most people ever know/knew the difference, is pretty big.

They have four engine options, from 285 hp to 470 hp.

The Mopar lift was already available, as a dealer-installed-option (DIO) for around $1,400. The wheels were already available too as a DIO, but pricey, $1,975 (5-wheels). So, Jeep "should" be able to price the Recon Xtreme competitively, especially if they are trying to compete with Ford and not just get add'l dollars from the customer.

I'd disagree on the frameless doors. I like having the frame. I think it's more robust.

So, Jeep offers twice any many engine options, a full-time 4x4 option and they offer the SFA instead of the IFS for obvious reasons.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is not the last answer to Bronco that Jeep will make. Guarantee you will see cowl mounted mirrors and removable rear seat roof panel in a few years. Should have been already IMO.

Marine2146

Badlands
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear you, but Rubicon isn't just a small cosmetic upgrade from the Sport. It's actually a pretty decent upgrade for those who don't want to wrench and build themselves. Off the shelf, it's pretty damn serious of an upgrade.

Just don't want anyone to think of the Rubicon as just an ego package; it isn't. Can you do it yourself? Sure, for around the same cost as the Rubicon, but as long as you wheel, it's not a Poseur package with "stickers" on the hood.
Me and you are thinking the same way I think but I don’t think it’s coming through right.
I’m not saying to build up a sport to the rubicon level. I’m saying it would be dumb for Jeep to add all that to a sport from the factory when you can just get the rubicon. And I agree with you it’s dumb to add all that aftermarket as well.
I was responding to this -“From my standpoint, that takes a lot of wind out of its sails. If it were available on the Sport with lockers, then they are getting somewhere.”
why add all that to the sport when you’ll end up having pretty much a rubicon.

As for the sticker…. Me and you both know there are some people who buy the rubicon because it’s the “best” trim, even though it will never see anything other than pavement.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is not the last answer to Bronco that Jeep will make. Guarantee you will see cowl mounted mirrors and removable rear seat roof panel in a few years. Should have been already IMO.
It's called a soft top, jk, jl. Mirror relocation brackets are available for $35.

Mike E

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands SAS 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fence sitters sure....what Jeep brings to the table....they can deliver. If you order a Jeep today they can pretty much within reason say 8-10 weeks and you'll have your Jeep. Ford...not a clue as to month or year....nor do they communicate with we the customers with a care in the world. Jeep is sitting back and laughing at Ford right now....just saying.

Sponsored

Dave_1978

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is a good thing for both Ford and Jeep. Competition breeds innovation and the consumer is always going to be the winner.

OP
OP
VictoryLights

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BS, Ford tried to price their vehicles within $500 of the comparable Jeep. A $60k Jeep is not comparable to a 2.7L Badlands.

A Rubicon is less than $40k. I added premium sound (Alpine stereo), tow package, heavy duty alternator/aux switches, proximity keyless entry for $41k. If you let your dealer spec your Jeep for you, yeah, they can add options to get it to $60k, but that's not what it costs if you have input...or, you want all the on road options in your off-roader.

I guess it's like saying an F250 costs $75k because I saw one at a dealership for $75k. Never mind you can get on Ford.com and build one for $45k. I guess all Broncos are $65k?

And, Jeep says you can order it in a week. Think you'll have to wait for next year to receive it, get a year of miscommunication, or maybe have to wait 8 - 12 for build and delivery?

So that’s a two door manual with cloth seats, 33s, plastic bumpers, halogen lights, and a soft top?

My bronco build is $55k: badlands, mic, high, 2.7, Sasquatch.

I just built the most comparable rubicon on their build and price and it comes out to $58k with 33s, an 8 inch screen, and cloth interior. Now throw on the recon package and you’re definitely north of $60k.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know this is going to be a pointed comment, but Ford painted themselves into a corner. They literally took on the Jeep Wrangler, besting every spec that would put them in a better position for marketing purposes; however, they failed to give themselves any room to compete.

Ford took on the Rubicon and put out more power, taller tires, deeper gearing, better water fording and then "sold" reservations to people for vehicles that they couldn't produce. Unfortunately, based on their design, they have nowhere to go. They can't respond to the competitive market. They only have what they have.

The Sasquatch package is the tallest they can go without driveline issues, CV issues, as stated by a/m companies. They can't respond to Jeep's 1.5" lift. They can't add taller tires. They can't increase their water fording without a lift/tires. They can't increase their approach/breakover/departure angles without more lift/tire.

Ford can't beat Jeep (in off road specs), based on design. Ford painted themselves into a corner by marketing the Bronco as an off road Rubicon-fighter. Ford would have to retool, re-engineer, in order to beat Jeep at their own game. Ford will need to tone down the off road rhetoric and change marketing paths to market the differences, not the similarities, with Jeep.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When is jeep going add there own Sasquatch there sport so people who dont want to spend 70 to 110k for one like you can do with the Bronco base .I am getting a two door base with Sasquatch and 2.7 for 40k thats almost what dealers sale a jeep sport for .

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So that’s a two door manual with cloth seats, 33s, plastic bumpers, halogen lights, and a soft top?

My bronco build is $55k: badlands, mic, high, 2.7, Sasquatch.

I just built the most comparable rubicon on their build and price and it comes out to $58k with 33s, an 8 inch screen, and cloth interior. Now throw on the recon package and you’re definitely north of $60k.
That's my point though. Unless you want all of the packaged Bronco options, they aren't comparable. I don't think most people really want all of the things included in the Mid/High/Lux packages, but they are bundled that way to increase the MSRP.

Then, when you look at the "similarly equipped" Jeep, it costs more, but only because you're adding options you wouldn't include if they were a la carte on the Bronco. Of course there are people that want every option, so the package is how they would have spec'd it, but I think that's the exception, not the norm.

If you (collective you) spec the Jeep the way you want it, then spec a "similarly equipped" Bronco, the Bronco is more.

Ford is marketing the Bronco, bundling options as packages, to increase the MSRP. It's the smart move, because it also increases the MSRP of the comparable Jeep. Ford did that on purpose, looked at the Jeep options and built their Mid, High and Lux to bundle options in a way that made the Jeep more expensive when similarly equipped. It's was smart marketing team that came up with that, but if you were able to build them a la carte I bet most people wouldn't build their vehicles with the options bundled the way Ford built the packages.
Sponsored