Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all,

2022, 2-door, outer banks, 2.7, non-sas, 562 miles on the odometer.

My Bronco makes a pretty noticeable jerking movement when shifting from park to drive. And it can also be a little jerky in just normal driving, especially after being stopped at a red light.

I also sometimes notice a "rumbling" feeling underneath me when driving. It's hard to describe, but it makes for a pretty rough ride.

Is this something I should be concerned with? I've seen some info saying that for the first 1000 miles the vehicle is trying to learn your driving habits (wtf, why?) and it could make for a rough driving experience...could this be caused by that?

Trying to see if I need to take a trip to the dealership. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

PS: This is the first truck/off road vehicle I've owned, so please don't crucify me if this is normal. I only have cars and typical SUVs to compare it to, and I've never experienced a driving experience like this.
Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The torque is pretty darn high. When I shift from Park to Drive she lurches forward because she is ready to GO!

Next time you drive, try accelerating steadily upward. If you soft pedal it, there seems to be a flat-spot in the power from 1st to 2nd. My V8 F150 had a similar issue. If you increase the pressure on the power the shift isn't noticeable.

Rumble? I'm not sure what you mean. Surprising things I had to get used to:

Mud getting flung from the tires into the wheel well. That took me by surprise.

The vibration from the speaker that is on the driver side by the bottom of the door. At first I thought something was wrong but it was just the sirius playing.

I can't think of anything else that matches what you have shared.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don’t think that sounds normal at all. I would take it in, and at least have someone ride with you to hear it for themselves. I mean, it’s obviously not a luxury sedan, but “jerky and rumbly”? Nah. Have it checked…

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Mustang did that for months and it bugged the shit out of me but I thought it was just that 5.0 wanting to get going. Fast forward a few months I was leaving work late and got a check engine light, Ford Pass listed it as a misfire. Took it to the dealer the next day and they said that the ECU needed to be reprogrammed with no other repairs.

Now it doesn't lurch like that anymore when going to P/R to D and it drives a whole hell of a lot better. Is that what's happening to you? I can't say for sure but when I get my Bronco if it lurches like my Mustang did the dealer is the first place I am going with that bit of previous experience.

OP
OP
MoonPig

MoonPig

Outer Banks
First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don’t think that sounds normal at all. I would take it in, and at least have someone ride with you to hear it for themselves. I mean, it’s obviously not a luxury sedan, but “jerky and rumbly”? Nah. Have it checked…
Thanks for the input, I guess I was worried about looking silly (I'm a woman) and not knowing how the vehicle is supposed to drive. I thought maybe this was the rough and tumble Bronco experience 😂

My Mustang did that for months and it bugged the shit out of me but I thought it was just that 5.0 wanting to get going. Fast forward a few months I was leaving work late and got a check engine light, Ford Pass listed it as a misfire. Took it to the dealer the next day and they said that the ECU needed to be reprogrammed with no other repairs.

Now it doesn't lurch like that anymore when going to P/R to D and it drives a whole hell of a lot better. Is that what's happening to you? I can't say for sure but when I get my Bronco if it lurches like my Mustang did the dealer is the first place I am going with that bit of previous experience.
That input is super helpful because what I'm experiencing when shifting to drive could be definitely described as a "lurch"....gonna get it checked out, thanks.

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
There really isn't anything that would cause a rumbling feeling like that other than the characteristics of the vehicle. A body on frame vehicle is much, much stiffer than your traditional unibody car or SUV, so you are going to feel chatter and vibrations that you wouldn't in a unibody. Toyota actually made the frame of the previous generation Tundra intentionally weaker to reduce NVM (noise,vibration, harshness) and give buyers a more car like experience. The hard shifts are a different issue and I might have the dealer look at that.

OP
OP
MoonPig

MoonPig

Outer Banks
First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The torque is pretty darn high. When I shift from Park to Drive she lurches forward because she is ready to GO!

Next time you drive, try accelerating steadily upward. If you soft pedal it, there seems to be a flat-spot in the power from 1st to 2nd. My V8 F150 had a similar issue. If you increase the pressure on the power the shift isn't noticeable.

Rumble? I'm not sure what you mean. Surprising things I had to get used to:

Mud getting flung from the tires into the wheel well. That took me by surprise.

The vibration from the speaker that is on the driver side by the bottom of the door. At first I thought something was wrong but it was just the sirius playing.

I can't think of anything else that matches what you have shared.
I'm going to feel so dumb if the rumbling is from the speaker 🤣 I haven't driven in silence so I will test it out along with those acceleration tips.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you sure the “ rumbling” you feel isn’t the lane assist kicking in as you get to close to the side of the lane? If you have never experienced this feature while holding the steering wheel in a vehicle before, then it would be disconcerting. Hell, I can’t get my geezer are used to the engine cut off feature.

OP
OP
MoonPig

MoonPig

Outer Banks
First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you sure the “ rumbling” you feel isn’t the lane assist kicking in as you get to close to the side of the lane? If you have never experienced this feature while holding the steering wheel in a vehicle before, then it would be disconcerting. Hell, I can’t get my geezer are used to the engine cut off feature.
😂 Hmm, I do have the lane assist feature turned on, so I'll look into it. I immediately turn off the auto start/stop though lol.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the input, I guess I was worried about looking silly (I'm a woman) and not knowing how the vehicle is supposed to drive. I thought maybe this was the rough and tumble Bronco experience 😂

That input is super helpful because what I'm experiencing when shifting to drive could be definitely described as a "lurch"....gonna get it checked out, thanks.
Sure thing and I hope it helps, I was getting real tired of it feeling like my suspension nearly bottoming out when I put in in drive first time in my life I was happy the get a CEL.

Sponsored

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

And to make it more fun sometimes the lane assist picks up the seams in the road when you haven't crossed a line then here come the steering wheel shakes.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lane assist will be the rumble. I disabled mine, never felt it again.

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

this. Sounds like lane assist is on. It is very annoying.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

2022, 2-door, outer banks, 2.7, non-sas, 562 miles on the odometer.

My Bronco makes a pretty noticeable jerking movement when shifting from park to drive. And it can also be a little jerky in just normal driving, especially after being stopped at a red light.

I also sometimes notice a "rumbling" feeling underneath me when driving. It's hard to describe, but it makes for a pretty rough ride.

Is this something I should be concerned with? I've seen some info saying that for the first 1000 miles the vehicle is trying to learn your driving habits (wtf, why?) and it could make for a rough driving experience...could this be caused by that?

Trying to see if I need to take a trip to the dealership. Any info/advice would be appreciated.

PS: This is the first truck/off road vehicle I've owned, so please don't crucify me if this is normal. I only have cars and typical SUVs to compare it to, and I've never experienced a driving experience like this.
Mine is the same when shifting into drive or reverse when first starting. The fast idle is pretty high on this car. And the 1 to 2 shift is pretty jerky as well, not very smooth unless you're on the gas pretty hard.

It's a Bronco, just drive it, it's fine!
Sponsored