MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bought one to do a little analysis on why the base system sounds so awful, and beyond the speakers, there are some issues with the DSP module curve Ford has chosen for the Bronco. I don't have access to a Lux install with B&O to compare and contrast, and I am working on getting Forscan up and going for more measurements after tweaking the audio settings, but thought I'd start here.

Keep in mind this is the measurement of the Head Unit itself, having nothing to do with the speakers.

The top is the front channels, the bottom are the rears. We know Ford nerfed the rear channels, but some things of note, not only is the bass rolled off incredibly aggressively, the output is lower as well. Now, to be fair, if you are going for a proper soundstage the output from the rears should be lower. Both the front and rear also are missing significant high frequency information rolling off strongly above 16K Hz, the Ford speakers couldn't play up here anyway, but it makes getting great sound out of aftermarket systems a bit more challenging to get a feeling of openness or airy-ness that a high quality tweeter can apply.

Next up i'll be getting Forscan and checking settings and impact, maybe one night this week.
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Image 7-31-22 at 2.28 PM

Fronts only zoomed
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 3.02.19 PM

Rear zoomed
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 3.04.00 PM
Sponsored

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco BaseSquatch, Chevy Suburban, Kia K5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Following! Thanks for doing this!!

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@MOBRONCO are you able to tell if the factory signal changes as the volume is increased on the head unit? Iā€™m curious if the bass to the fronts is rolled off as volume goes up to protect the factory speakers.

OP
OP

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
@MOBRONCO are you able to tell if the factory signal changes as the volume is increased on the head unit? Iā€™m curious if the bass to the fronts is rolled off as volume goes up to protect the factory speakers.
It didnā€™t appear so, curves looked the same at 12 and 20, I didnā€™t go higher yet, but will check when I have some more time.

djn3400

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well, that is good news! Thanks again for your help. Iā€™ve already replaced all the front speakers and added a Kicker Key 200.4. Iā€™m planning on a JL ACP112LG-TW1 tapped into the front speakers to get some low end oomph. I was curious if the low end signal to the sub would be reduced at higher volumes, but it sounds like it wonā€™t. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Sponsored
OP
OP

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Okay, so here is what I was looking for.

First, the TLDR. It is possible to get almost completely flat audio signal from the 2022 base factory unit with ONLY using Forscan. This is great news, you won't hear a ton of difference in factory speakers, but this is the way to get flat audio to feed an amp or system of your choice.

My Forscan changes, 727-01-01 to 3800 and 727-01-02 to 0900
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings 1659496141694

First, all 4 channels showing flat (or as close as you'll get) out of the system with only a FORSCAN change
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 9.59.28 PM

Front channel showing essentially flat output, minus an odd peak then dip above 16K
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.04.51 PM

And what everyone is searching for (maybe can help the B&O guys too, but no promises) unmolested rear channel output

Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.06.45 PM

Slick85

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If I do a full system upgrade with amplifiers, new speakers, and a subwoofer do I need anything to integrate or get a flat signal besides an aftermarket DSP? I know the B&O systems need a special interface but not sure about the regular one.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Okay, so here is what I was looking for.

First, the TLDR. It is possible to get almost completely flat audio signal from the 2022 base factory unit with ONLY using Forscan. This is great news, you won't hear a ton of difference in factory speakers, but this is the way to get flat audio to feed an amp or system of your choice.

My Forscan changes, 727-01-01 to 3800 and 727-01-02 to 0900
Ford Bronco JL Audio Fix 86 - Base audio measured - Flat front/rear FORSCAN settings Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 10.06.45 PM

First, all 4 channels showing flat (or as close as you'll get) out of the system with only a FORSCAN change

Front channel showing essentially flat output, minus an odd peak then dip above 16K

And what everyone is searching for (maybe can help the B&O guys too, but no promises) unmolested rear channel output

Do you have graphs from before the forscan changes? Also the software shows ā€œcalibration successfulā€. Just to be clear, you arenā€™t using any aftermarket dsp to get the flat signals, correct? I was just reading about the keyloc which seems like a lot of work to try to produce what you are showing here with just forscan šŸŽ‰

Sponsored
OP
OP

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do you have graphs from before the forscan changes? Also the software shows ā€œcalibration successfulā€. Just to be clear, you arenā€™t using any aftermarket dsp to get the flat signals, correct? I was just reading about the keyloc which seems like a lot of work to try to produce what you are showing here with just forscan šŸŽ‰
Pre Forscan graphs are in the first post. Forscan removes the requirement to get a DSP for a flat signal for the base audio system.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pre Forscan graphs are in the first post. Forscan removes the requirement to get a DSP for a flat signal for the base audio system.
So say I want to explain this to my 10 yr old :cool: ... Switch to a flat signal does what? I'm assuming we are not talking simply about Bass/Treble adjustments like you'd fine in your EQ setting?

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thought Macs can actually run Windows? Maybe try a VM?
they can itā€™s just a pain to setup and I have a pretty old Mac anyway it barely runs Mac OS šŸ˜‚ as I either use my work Mac or iPad all the time. I am upgrading speakers and adding kicker amps so would like to unlock the rears.

OP
OP

MOBRONCO

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So say I want to explain this to my 10 yr old :cool: ... Switch to a flat signal does what? I'm assuming we are not talking simply about Bass/Treble adjustments like you'd fine in your EQ setting?
So the factory base system has an EQ on the front and rear channels, along with an aggressive crossover on the rear channels. Currently if someone wants to add a sub, they have to get signal from the front speakers. This Forscan change would allow you to get that from the rear speaker wires.

Also, this allows you to get full range (bass) to the rear speaker pods, this will not help the OEM speakers much as they also have a built in high pass filter. However an aftermarket speaker may not, and with this you should get fuller sound even with the factory speakers. With that said, a good system does need some DSP work to deal with the oddities of the automotive listening environment.
Sponsored