Sponsored

JL Rubicon or Badlands Bronco - Hard Top Required (MIC)

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, so here's the breakdown, I have a late reservation/build date (July/August 2021) - 2.3L, Manual, Badlands. I'm holding out for a hard top because the whole purpose to buying a new vehicle is so I can take some surf/mountain trips, and will need top rack space either way (I don't like the Gobi style soft top racks). I have a '07 JKU with 185k miles that I thought would make it until '23, but.....it's almost like it knows I'm about to cheat on it - drinking coolant being the primary concern.

So...I'm going to go test drive a stick shift Rubicon, I've ridden in the stock JLU's, but.....I kinda want to go ahead and get a Rubicon. Rubicon priced out around $43k OTD (8% below invoice), Bronco supposedly will stick to invoice pricing $48k OTD. I've loved my Jeep, it has been a great vehicle that has taken an absolute beating, mostly from sand and salt. If I get the JLU, the carpet will come out and Armorlite (a rubberized carpet replacement) will go in along with decent seat covers.

I like the look of the Bronco for something different, but, concerned with the early issues with the MIC.

I know this is a Bronco forum, but....debating.
Sponsored

mcalpal

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You do you. What makes you happy is the right choice for you.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you waiting for a MIC top or a MOD top? The MIC tops sound like they are going to start up again pretty soon. You might not have that long to wait. I want a MOD top, so I'm waiting 2 years for mine. I bought someone's rejected order and I will probably trade it in or sell it and buy my actual order when the MODs are ready. I think you will like the Bronco a lot. I feel your pain about the older vehicle. I have a truck with over 175k miles and I drive 50 miles a day for work. I needed a replacement vehicle for daily driving.

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you waiting for a MIC top or a MOD top? The MIC tops sound like they are going to start up again pretty soon. You might not have that long to wait. I want a MOD top, so I'm waiting 2 years for mine. I bought someone's rejected order and I will probably trade it in or sell it and buy my actual order when the MODs are ready. I think you will like the Bronco a lot. I feel your pain about the older vehicle. I have a truck with over 175k miles and I drive 50 miles a day for work. I needed a replacement vehicle for daily driving.
MIC, yeah they are starting back up......but I'm pretty far down the list I'm guessing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

title says you want to be talked out of buying a jeep. Fine, don't buy the fucking jeep. Anything else?
Agreed, changed title. Let me rephrase - not sure which I want.
Jeep Pros (for me):​
No concerns with Hard Top​
Available​
Great Residual​
Tested, great aftermarket​
Price - 10% less right now for me.​

Bronco Pros (for me):
Different (I've had a '07 JK for 15 years)​
Better on-road, I think that's established​
More cabin space​

Neutral (to me):
Manual transmission performance, they both feel pretty smooth compared to JK​
Off road ability, there's probably nothing I'm going to tackle in the SE that a Rubicon or Badlands won't equally handle.​
Interior - I like the analog tach/speedometer of the Rubicon, but I like the screen on Bronco.​
Washout ability - MGV maybe a slight lean, but I'm planning on getting Armorlite for a JL which a friend has and loves. I'd rather have cloth to be honest on seats, I'm afraid MGV might get pretty sticky in the summer.​

Last edited:

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You're probably not seeing your ordered bronco for a year or more so get the Rubicon now. If you're getting it that far under invoice I don't think you'll run into much if or any depreciation.

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you getting a jeep 8-10% below msrp? I did a rubicon build and it was going to be $72k when it was all said and done with tax and everything

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The thing that really sets the Bronco apart is the High+ package and the Sasquatch/lockers.

With High, you get the 360 Camera. With Sas, you get the 35, lift, lockers, and gearing.

I mention it because with the JLU, you can't get the 360 Cameras ( they do have the front but it adds $$ to the price becuase of the addition add ons).

You can get the Sasquatch equivalent-ish as long as you buy the Rubicon and go with the extreme Recon or aftermarket lift and Tires, but by the time you are done, you would have spent alot more for the Jeep than a Bronco.

So basically, if you don't care about the High package features, and you don't mind having to buy the Rubicon trim and possible upgrading the lift and tires right away, then Jeep would be a great option (plus you'll get better MPG)

Btw...do you KNOW you can get 8% under? Cuz what I found is "those dealers" are not able to do that kind of deal right now..plus Jeep has alot of restrictions on what can be ordered right now.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Do you plan on ordering the wrangler or buying off the lot?

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are you getting a jeep 8-10% below msrp? I did a rubicon build and it was going to be $72k when it was all said and done with tax and everything
Just gotta go with a high volume dealer, that and I don't need anything really beyond a hard top. So, MSRP on a hard top Rubicon (you have to add remote prox apparently) is roughly $48k. Also helps that sales tax in SC on a vehicle is capped at $500 (they get it back on yearly property tax).

OP
OP

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you plan on ordering the wrangler or buying off the lot?
Ordering, I'm fine with waiting for either until the end of the year.........it's stretching into next winter that may become an issue. Honestly, either could become an issue sooner than later. I don't trust the JK on a trip and I'd like to make some this winter, also have older parents I need to start checking on more.

I've only owned 3 vehicles in my life -'89 XJ (Cherokee), '93 Toyota Pickup, and '07 JKU, so I'm not tied to any vendor. Ok, so 2/3 is Jeep, but I have no issue with getting a Ford at all.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ordering, I'm fine with waiting for either until the end of the year.........it's stretching into next winter that may become an issue. Honestly, either could become an issue sooner than later. I don't trust the JK on a trip and I'd like to make some this winter, also have older parents I need to start checking on more.

I've only owned 3 vehicles in my life -'89 XJ (Cherokee), '93 Toyota Pickup, and '07 JKU, so I'm not tied to any vendor. Ok, so 2/3 is Jeep, but I have no issue with getting a Ford at all.
Order both and go with which ever comes in first. With the 8% below invoice I’m gonna guess you’ll be taking a trip to tennesee to pick up the wrangler?
Sponsored