JL Wrangler vs New Ford Bronco

SW Mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The next Wrangler (JL) is already being spotted testing in public. It's supposed to rock a new turbo 4 engine which the pics were leaked here...

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...JL-2-0L-Turbo-Engine-(Hurricane)-FIRST-photos!

It's also supposed to be lighter and more aero. FCA has said whatever changes they make it will be even better off road too. A tall order for Ford if this is all true.

Assuming this is the Bronco's main competition which we all hope it is. Ford's got to take a long and hard look and I hope they dont shun away from the challenge. I don't want the bean counters to start pushing this into suburban SUV category.
Sponsored

frankco2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
At almost 4,000 to 5,000 pounds (4DR) the current Wrangler is pretty large and heavy. I am hoping Ford uses its huge advances and experience in building aluminum trucks to benefit the Bronco.

One concern is whether it will have solid axles front and rear. I checked out the other spy pics and the JL looks like it won't be moving to an IFS like the rumors were saying. That's a good thing for an off road vehicle whose suspension could take a lot of punishment.

gtx4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Max Tow Ecoboost Lariat
The next Jeep Wrangler is not going to change much. They would be stupid to ruin a good thing with how many they sell each month. A little makeover to freshen up the look, improve MPG and shed a few pounds and call it a day.

Ford will have a few more years to see what other advances are brought by the 2018 Wrangler. There's no excuse for screwing this up and the stakes are too high. The F-series last month outsold Ford's entire car lineup of 8 nameplates by 97 units. Trucks, pickups and utility vehicle sales are completely taking over the car market.

4Wheeler

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The next Jeep Wrangler is not going to change much. They would be stupid to ruin a good thing with how many they sell each month. A little makeover to freshen up the look, improve MPG and shed a few pounds and call it a day.
Ironically that is part of the reason I've decided to hold out to see what the Bronco 6G is bringing to the table. You see Wranglers EVERYWHERE (a few of my friends own them too) and for better or worse you know what to expect from one.

The current body style has been going for 10 years and without any real changes to the look you'll be seeing the same basic modding going on for another 7+ years at least.

It's a cool club to be part of but I'm excited to see if the Bronco can bring a totally new take on a true off road SUV. Hopefully with as vibrant an aftermarket as the Jeep.

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yea I'm excited to see the Bronco come out as it might put more pressure on Jeep to correct some of the most common complaints on the Wrangler, but in order for that to happen the Bronco has to have all the same elements of the Wrangler (removable top/panels, real off road capabilities, 2 & 4 door versions, and a diesel offering)

Sponsored
OP
OP

SW Mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Ford Explorer Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
They offer a diesel Wrangler? Did I miss this?

I think the Bronco will be more like the FJ Cruiser than Wrangler in many ways (ie solid top). Let's just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate. Regardless it should still put pressure on Jeep.

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
They offer a diesel Wrangler? Did I miss this?

I think the Bronco will be more like the FJ Cruiser than Wrangler in many ways (ie solid top). Let's just hope it doesn't suffer the same fate. Regardless it should still put pressure on Jeep.
Yea Diesel is coming in 2019 in both the JL and JT. The 2018 JL will at first be released with the Turbo 4cyl and upgraded V6 Penstar.

I really think it will be a HUGE mistake on Ford's part if they dont do some type of removable top, and 2 door and 4 door versions. The 2 door only with fixed roof is what killed the FJ IMO. Also Jeep sells more 4 door Wranglers (near 2 to 1) then it does 2 door versions.

Sam4wheeler

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Wildtrak Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea Diesel is coming in 2019 in both the JL and JT. The 2018 JL will at first be released with the Turbo 4cyl and upgraded V6 Penstar.

I really think it will be a HUGE mistake on Ford's part if they dont do some type of removable top, and 2 door and 4 door versions. The 2 door only with fixed roof is what killed the FJ IMO. Also Jeep sells more 4 door Wranglers (near 2 to 1) then it does 2 door versions.
Well the EPA just accused FCA of diesel emissions cheating over the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel. There goes any hope of seeing a diesel Wrangler anytime soon. It's gonna have an impact on the whole industry Im sure, probably make Ford think twice about offering it in the Bronco/Ranger if that was ever in the works.

dhg1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well the EPA just accused FCA of diesel emissions cheating over the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee with the Ecodiesel. There goes any hope of seeing a diesel Wrangler anytime soon. It's gonna have an impact on the whole industry Im sure, probably make Ford think twice about offering it in the Bronco/Ranger if that was ever in the works.
I saw that this morning, too. Sounds like they did the exact same thing VW did. One article said the EPA was looking at another manufacturer for doing the same thing, but they wouldn't mention who it was. Doesn't sound like they are done investigating. It won't be ford though, unless its for the super duty.

I'm a little nervous this will prompt ford to rethink their decision about bringing the 3.0 to the F-150 or any other vehicle. Ford makes some great diesels in other parts of the world, but for whatever reason Americans still hate it. Well, I do know. Partly due to cheap gas, partly due to misconceptions from diesels 50 years ago, and partly to cost of purchase and upkeep.

I'm thinking my next vehicle will be a diesel bronco or a V8 bronco, if Ford offers either, or a diesel F250 depending on my needs at the time. The release of the Bronco just happens to coincide with when I was planning on getting a new vehicle. Maybe its fate, lol.

I like that GM has a diesel Cruz, which the new one is supposed to get over 50 mpg highway, and I like that audi and Land rover have diesel SUVs that get around 30 mpg highway. Plus gobs of low end torque.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
VW just accepted a guilty plea in order to get off with just a $1 billion fine. FCA needs to accept a $1 billion fine as well and either get out of the diesel business or buy their diesels from a manufacturer that has the smarts to build diesels that actually can meet diesel emissions regulations without cheating--if there is a manufacturer that actually can meet diesel emissions regulations without cheating...

Sponsored

dhg1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
VW just accepted a guilty plea in order to get off with just a $1 billion fine. FCA needs to accept a $1 billion fine as well and either get out of the diesel business or buy their diesels from a manufacturer that has the smarts to build diesels that actually can meet diesel emissions regulations without cheating--if there is a manufacturer that actually can meet diesel emissions regulations without cheating...
FCA won't have that large of a fine I don't think. They only sold about 100k non compliant cars over 3 years or so. Just a drop in the bucket compared to VW.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've owned several generations of Mopar Wranglers and am waiting to do a serious change from my JK until I see the Bronco. I am very excited for it.

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just saw the new Wrangler spy pics posted - http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...o-shows-backup-camera-and-some-new-parts.673/

Looks like the same brick as always. I know I know lots of people love that Wrangler shape. I personally don't and think if it basically looks like the same car from the last 10 years its going to grow stale. Bronco coming back after such a long hiatus if it is styled nice, it'll be a breath of fresh air and should elicit much more excitement than the next gen Wrangler which is shaping up to be a minor refresh so far.

Craigy

First Name
Craigy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX
Depending on final specs of 2018 Wrangler, it might be a nice rig. Hopefully we'll see it by November.

Still, might be a good idea to skip the first model year, and by that point, the Bronco should be here. I'd rather own a Ford product over Mopar Fiat any day.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
On the TV news this week, Ford said that the 3.0-liter diesel it will be offering is the 3.0-liter diesel currently available in Land Rovers. 'Sounds like a good choice of engines to me provided Ford checks them out VERY carefully to assure that they actually DO meet diesel emissions standards without cheater software that lowers emissions to legal levels only when the engines are hooked up to emissions compliance testing equipment.
Sponsored