Sponsored

Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From my imagination to my Garage

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598897980710

My name is Jesse and I live in Oklahoma. I've never owned an SUV or truck. I am a complete novice to them in general while also knowing nothing of off-roading. I am starting this thread now as a build journal chronicling my journey from reservation of my Bronco to my finished build, exactly the way I want it. (Who am I kidding? We all know it will never be "Finished" ) I also hope to help others learn as I progress and learn myself.

Feel free to follow along

08/31/2020 - I'm having a real hard time figuring out which model I should start with. My original idea was an Outer Banks model with high and Sasquatch packages. I have never owned a car with any real tech options. I currently drive a base model 2012 Subaru WRX. I absolutely love my WRX although it's quite "Base" if you know what I mean. My whole life I've had a job making around $40k a year and over the last 4 years I've built up a business. I've worked really hard and the wife thinks I should get what I want and don't settle. (She's a good gal)

Problem is, I'm a frugal guy by nature. So, I am always trying to find the best bang for my buck. I've always "Settled" in the past because I get nervous when it comes to making larger purchases.

Anyways... back on track... Like I said above my plan was to get the Outer Banks model because I wanted the High Package, the Squatch, and the 2.7 at the lowest possible price. After the pricing survey came out it put me at 50K after delivery and other fees. The cheap-ass in me couldn't accept that I was going to pay that much money so I started really giving it some thought and realized that I will probably NEVER go off-roading. Certainly not crawling or anything hard core. I don't really have a desire to.

So, I crossed out the Squatch. I can make her look the way I want with the Ford offered 2" lift and aftermarket wheels and tires.

As for her looks... I think I'm going to go for an old school look. While I don't have any off road experience, I grew up with a brother that was into it. He had numerous off-road vehicles in the form of International Scouts and Suzuki Samurais. I ALWAYS loved his little Zukis and I am letting this influence my ideas by looking at common modifications and setups like this:

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598898411973

At the moment, I'm thinking:

Race Red Outer Banks
Ford Factory 2" lift
Black painted Top
16" Classic White steel off-road wheels (Triangle cuts)
35" tires

I'm very much going for a look like this:

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598898194235

Any ideas are welcome. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

*Update* - 8/21/2020 - I see a lot of LED light bars on the local Bro-Dozers around town. I remember the day I saw one for the first time. I thought it was pretty cool. By the end of day I'd seen about 3,456 of them and that was between 5 or 6 different cars and decided that maybe they were a little played out. My question is this:

Do you think some of the old school KC lights would look good or just obnoxious?
Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598906154228

UPDATE - 8/22/2020 - Today I've been giving some thought to cross bars and I do really love the look of the factory cross bar on the First edition. It's almost perfect. I Also know that it's probably going to cost a few hundred dollars more than it needs to. For things like this should we wait and go aftermarket? I feel the obvious answer is yes but the toddler in me WANTS WHAT I WANT AND WANTS IT NOW.

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598990770901
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

just so you know, the wheels you mentioned i believe are called wagon wheels... i can't wait to follow along and see how it turns out!

OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
just so you know, the wheels you mentioned i believe are called wagon wheels... i can't wait to follow along and see how it turns out!
When I Google "Wagon Wheels" I get delicious looking pastries (Think Moon Pies) and this:

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598899764360

Not so much the look I'm going for but I've never been known for my fashion sense.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
this is more what i mean but full size.... i haven't been able to find them full size
https://store.rc4wd.com/5-Lug-Wagon-19-Steel-Stamped-Beadlock-Wheels-White_p_1930.html
also, that hummer looks pathetic lol
At first glance I was like "Those are great!" I mean, They certainly look the part.

Then I realized they are actually wheels for wagons. I was thinking station wagon. I had no idea why you'd reference station wagon wheels but I just assumed it was some Off-Road terminology that I was oblivious to.

At 1.9" they might be a little small... But they look great!

Also, that Hummer is a work of art. I wood sport it.

?

Sponsored
OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
*Update* - 8/21/2020 - I see a lot of LED light bars on the local Bro-Dozers around town. I remember the day I saw one for the first time. I thought it was pretty cool. By the end of day I'd seen about 3,456 of them and that was between 5 or 6 different cars and decided that maybe they were a little played out. My question is this:

Do you think some of the old school KC lights would look good or just obnoxious?
Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598899764360

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, is this Bronco a tribute to the 80s?

OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
KC Lights were awesome, had a pair on an ill purchased Isuzu Amigo. They looked better off with the covers on them then when they actually had to do work. Always needed alignment and calibration to get them right where you want them. LED blocks or bars are a better option and you can integrate them without making them obnoxious like our friends at Mil-Spec have done with this F-150.

A roof rack option has already been shown, and hopefully the modular bumper will have something very similar. They are high output and low maintenance options.

I suppose I could look at a more subdued way of mounting them. After Google searching KC lighting and doing an hour or so of research I realized they may not be what I Want.

Perhaps I just won't sport a light bar. I dunno...

Thank you very much for your input! :)

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored
OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598911538649

@GingerScooby , did you used to do ads for the IH Scout?
No, no I didn't... but damn... That looks pretty cool. I really hope they offer body colored tops and those wheels just really look great with that red. I think it's going to look even more so with the aggressive modern styling of the new Bronco.

OP
OP
GingerScooby

GingerScooby

Outer Banks
First Name
jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
UPDATE - 8/22/2020 - Today I've been giving some thought to cross bars and I do really love the look of the factory cross bar on the First edition. It's almost perfect. I Also know that it's probably going to cost a few hundred dollars more than it needs to. For things like this should we wait and go aftermarket? I feel the obvious answer is yes but the toddler in me WANTS WHAT I WANT AND WANTS IT NOW.

Ford Bronco Journal: From my imagination to my Garage - An SUV/Off-Road/Bronco Novice's Journey 1598911538649

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You need to update where you are in your journey... seems it’s been a while. I rather like the scheme you’re working towards. I understand not wanting to spend the money right out of the gate, but I think the Sasquatch package is a far better deal than you’re giving it credit for. KC also has lights with all the modern tech... I’m not too big on the 6”-7” ones, personally... but the 4”-5” rounds I think would look great as a light bar. As far as the bull bar, I think I’d wait for an aftermarket option (if I wasn’t gonna build my own), because I don’t think either of the factory ones is a very good design.

Congrats on building your business and finding a good woman that wants you to be happy.
Sponsored