Sponsored

Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME!

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I opened the Tailgate table box (the official Ford one that retails for $219). I looked at the instructions and probably watched about a hour of install videos. I am too scared to drill four 7/16" holes in my Bronco. I asked my dealer service department. They said it was a "pain in the neck" and they charge 2 hours of labor for it. Also they told me that they drilled all the way through once TO THE OUTSIDE and had to replace an entire tailgate. I have decided to not do it. I got it a while ago, so I cannot return. Anyone braver than me want one for $100 plus I will ship it to you if you want (you pay shipping)? And if you did install, how did it go for you?

*** UPDATE Feb 22: I am selling the Tailgate Table to a Bronco 6G Member, and I plan on getting a non-drilling table in the future.***
Sponsored

Last edited:

CptSamFalcon

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr BD, 2021 Kawasaki KLX300
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are truly uncomfortable - the JCR solution I went with doesn't require drilling at all but it does involve removing some plastic trim so there's some risk of breakage there.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
A drill stop is all you need.
I have no problems doing all kinds of things around the house like hanging a large TV over the fireplace or replacing a garbage disposal or fixing every part of a toilet, but I just cannot drill holes into my Bronco. I feel like in a house, everything you do is reversible. Not so in my vehicle.

Sponsored

CriticalB

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did this install and while it’s scary, it’s not so bad as long as you double check your measurements and follow the instructions. There is a little flex in the table that allows for (slight) error. You won’t drill too far as long as you don’t drill to fast and use light, steady pressure. Let the drill do the work opening the holes, don’t try to punch it through.
Once the holes are done, the worst is over. If something doesn’t line up and you give up, the plastic trim will hide the holes at the top and you can buy plastic fir tree caps on Amazon to disguise the lower holes - no one but you would ever notice.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are truly uncomfortable - the JCR solution I went with doesn't require drilling at all but it does involve removing some plastic trim so there's some risk of breakage there.
Thanks! I am looking at some others. I really don't understand why the official Ford one requires drilling. It is not as if this table holds 100 lbs. It is only a 25lb capacity.

I think the JCR one is 60 lbs capacity. It also has both a molle panel on the bottom which is useful when the unit is closed (for hanging stuff) and a solid top so things don't fall through.

The tip I saw on the plastic trim is to remove the bottom side first (where the clips are) and then slide the top out (on the top are hooks, NOT clips). One YouTube guy broke off his top clips and now those clips will rattle round his tailgate until end times.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no problems doing all kinds of things around the house like hanging a large TV over the fireplace or replacing a garbage disposal or fixing every part of a toilet, but I just cannot drill holes into my Bronco. I feel like in a house, everything you do is reversible. Not so in my vehicle.
Fair enough, go with a no drill version then. I like the JCR. I rarely use it though and would not buy any if I had a do over.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fair enough, go with a no drill version then. I like the JCR. I rarely use it though and would not buy any if I had a do over.
Thanks for the advice. I just got side steps and am about to get a pinch weld cover. Maybe I need to just focus on outside accessories for now. I have decent camping stuff, but do dream of the idea of having a table for food prep, but like you I likely would rarely use it.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the same one. No drilling. No rattling. Install is a bit time consuming and one step in particular is a pain in the a$$. They have good video instruction that even calls out the one awkward step.

Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bolt off/ons only for me, no drilling or sticking on junk, good on you OP!

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t be scared. Like stated before. A mechanical drill bit stop is needed for the tailgate. Safe and easy to use. I have no issues poking holes in mine.

Here’s some confidence pics for ya. You got this!

268F0406-1947-4E85-B4BB-7396DF88F4AB.jpeg

D659C20C-8AE8-456B-8237-4D631402B81F.jpeg

DE4A079B-315F-4EED-9203-A44F143FDB1C.jpeg

TTT

Wildtrak
First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E Premium
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I opened the Tailgate table box (the official Ford one that retails for $219). I looked at the instructions and probably watched about a hour of install videos. I am too scared to drill four 7/16" holes in my Bronco. I asked my dealer service department. They said it was a "pain in the neck" and they charge 2 hours of labor for it. Also they told me that they drilled all the way through once TO THE OUTSIDE and had to replace an entire tailgate. I have decided to not do it. I got it a while ago, so I cannot return. Anyone braver than me want one for $100 plus I will ship it to you if you want (you pay shipping)? And if you did install, how did it go for you?
Look i have 0 experience on these kind of things, and i decided to do it no problem. its more the fear of holes tha nanything else, mine is perfect. just mesure the holes right.

i will reccomend buying this ins in case the original pieces dont work correctly , most likely you will need a spare.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NLVJ3BV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details