Sponsored

Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME!

Markco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I opened the Tailgate table box (the official Ford one that retails for $219). I looked at the instructions and probably watched about a hour of install videos. I am too scared to drill four 7/16" holes in my Bronco. I asked my dealer service department. They said it was a "pain in the neck" and they charge 2 hours of labor for it. Also they told me that they drilled all the way through once TO THE OUTSIDE and had to replace an entire tailgate. I have decided to not do it. I got it a while ago, so I cannot return. Anyone braver than me want one for $100 plus I will ship it to you if you want (you pay shipping)? And if you did install, how did it go for you?
I installed mine and a friends. If you were from Long Island I would install for you for free. Maybe there is a member in your local that can do the same or for minimal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have no experience drilling or doing that type of shit. Yet I installed this table no pbm. Use the drill stop. The drill was the easy part.
The hard part was the jack nuts. They absolutely suck and if you tighten like Ford says they will break and then good luck removing them. Took me a while to remove without having them falling inside the tailgate.
ABSOLUTELY order the jack nuts from the amazon link someone posted in this thread. They are much better and I could tighten those properly. Do not use the original ones unless Ford changed them, but I know 2 people who got the same issue.

Again, the drilling took me 5min and was easy.
I should have mentioned that as well. Saw a video where they were doing an install and the bottom right jack nut got messed up. In another one, the top right jacknut was loose and they needed to redo it.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tricky Dick is right. This is a drill stop (Harbor Freight, $4) if you're not familiar with it:
1677001617798.png

I bought the RockSlide table ($275 at Bronconation.com). Heavy, sturdy, I'm very happy with it. And yes, it's installed with sheet metal screws you drill. I had a friend hold it while I drilled and screwed the top center, then he secured it level while I drilled two more--with the drill stop. No damage to the exterior panel, and it's on tight. (Do read the instructions!)
1677002032099.png

Pancho, you're going to be taking this truck over rough roads and rocks and through woods and things, right? Or is it strictly a daily drive? If the former, understand that the Bronco is to be used and enjoyed, which means pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone.
Sorry if I'm something of a scold, but like the advertising slogan says, "Just do it!"
1. I saw a video on that one and the guy scratched the bottom shelf with the sound of nails on a chalkboard with that side wall. He put a big arc of a scratch on it. Looks nice, other than that though.
2. I heard someone mention (on the official Ford one) that not just the drill but the screws themselves may be too long. He said his dealer added additional washers for this reason. Seems like they have poor quality hardware and it is not exactly the right size.
3. When I bought, I fully expected to dent it, scratch it occasionally, etc. Now I am 18 months in and it looks like new. I am totally happy on gravel/ dirt/ snow, but I will not do rocks. I really like your advice though! Thanks!

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dude...
The shop told you that so you pay them - scare tactic. And Tricky Dick is dead on - Drill stop - problem solved.
You absolutely can do this. There are WAY stupider people out there drilling holes/re-gearing/etc... and i dont even know you :LOL:
The feeling of taking your time, mounting that sucker, and knowing YOU did it - you did something you thought was just beyond your scope - is second to none.
I was the exact same way years ago with my jeep - many of us were - but have confidence and take your time.
I think there is a problem with the screws themselves being too long and the jack nuts not working properly. The shelf itself is probably fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Perhaps there is a 9 yo girl in your neighborhood that could do it give he 5 bucks done.
To be fair both of my girls did robotics and both started at about that age.

Also, kids these days have a much higher hourly rate. I had to pay 3 neighborhood kids (all 10 and younger), $9 to make a snowman for me. I did not have any choice. They knocked on my door and said they were gonna make a snowman for cash, there was not really a negotiation, I could not help but pay them. My mistake was not paying them by the foot. I should have told them I would pay them $1.50 a foot of snowman and then I would have gotten the biggest one on the block.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Docindahouze

Base
First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drilled fifteen holes into my
Super duty’s roof once just so I could install cab lights. It was pretty nerve racking, measured 20 times and then just did it. Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff. Just snug up the sack and go for it. 😂

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I opened the Tailgate table box (the official Ford one that retails for $219). I looked at the instructions and probably watched about a hour of install videos. I am too scared to drill four 7/16" holes in my Bronco. I asked my dealer service department. They said it was a "pain in the neck" and they charge 2 hours of labor for it. Also they told me that they drilled all the way through once TO THE OUTSIDE and had to replace an entire tailgate. I have decided to not do it. I got it a while ago, so I cannot return. Anyone braver than me want one for $100 plus I will ship it to you if you want (you pay shipping)? And if you did install, how did it go for you?
I bought it over a year ago and same thing w me man… no fucking way I was drilling holes in my FE.. I got my 2 door base 4 months ago and I still haven’t brought myself to drilling.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think there is a problem with the screws themselves being too long and the jackets not working properly. The shelf itself is probably fine.
There is absolutely no problem with the screws. Never has been. The problem was the drill bit poking through and the noobs. not realizing what they had done, and or deflecting blame.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First, good to see you on here again Pancho. Any recent pics of your Bronco?

1. I think there are better ones out there but I bought the Ford table with points.
2. Install was smooth. Mine came with a 7/16 bit and a stop. Just take your time.
3. I have used it as a table maybe twice.
4. I use it as a Molle panel and love it.
Ford Bronco Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME! 20220407_153230

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bought it over a year ago and same thing w me man… no fucking way I was drilling holes in my FE.. I got my 2 door base 4 months ago and I still haven’t brought myself to drilling.
Glad to know I am not not alone in my fear of drilling into my bronco.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
First, good to see you on here again Pancho. Any recent pics of your Bronco?

1. I think there are better ones out there but I bought the Ford table with points.
2. Install was smooth. Mine came with a 7/16 bit and a stop. Just take your time.
3. I have used it as a table maybe twice.
4. I use it as a Molle panel and love it.
20220407_153230.jpg
Thanks! I joined GM, so I have been silent on YouTube. Hoping to get back up soon with video. Just gotta get some guidelines cleared up.

OP
OP
Pancho Kornwallace

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
There is absolutely no problem with the screws. Never has been. The problem was the drill bit poking through and the noobs. not realizing what they had done, and or deflecting blame.
Saw a YouTube guy claim that his dealer told him the screws were long so they added washers. Maybe "screws are long" is a coded message which means "we mess these up a lot so we upgraded the hardware" with extra washers.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Saw a YouTube guy claim that his dealer told him the screws were long so they added washers. Maybe "screws are long" is a coded message which means "we mess these up a lot so we upgraded the hardware" with extra washers.
“My dealer said”. Lmao.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best table is made by Goose Gear...Holes are for drilling- I mean drill the holes and enjoy!
Ford Bronco Just could NOT get myself to drill holes for the Tailgate Table... HELP ME! 1677038300074
Sponsored

Last edited: