Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Impressions:

It shifts good, real good.

1st wont win a race for you, it just gets you going.
The throw is super short from 2nd to 3rd... I though I short shifted it the first few times and pumped the clutch as it didnt feel fully engaged in 3rd...but it was.
2nd is a struggle, when you do a u-turn and try to get out of it, its laggy, but I guess it's a 4cylr.
Yes,, this thing....even the 4-door is nimble! A U-turn from center lane is a breeze and no struggle, it just whips around....but then crawls from 2nd. (didnt try from first)

Suspension is butter! Took it on a small gravel road and it just floated.

Interior is pure $hit. The plastics are way, way bad. The area around the shift lever looks like it will crack within a year or two.
I'm surprised Ford released that cowling around the manual shifter. It even looks like it doesnt go.

Other than that, i loved it. Very stiff, sturdy feel. Sitting up high feels good, i forgot about how it felt.

Got it up to 85mph with the front windows open and it was as stable as could be.

Acceleration on the manual didn't really kick in until you got up to about 3500 rpm...but i'm not a racer so that will be just fine for me.

Super sad about the plasticy interior... it was quite sub-par.
If anyone knows an older Subaru, the interior is similar. When Subaru redesigned their Outback in 2015 it went from plasticy to ~nice/fancy. Look at any pre-2015 Subaru Outback and that's what the Bronco feels/looks like as far as interior. Subaru upset some die-hard fans when they did this, as they liked the rugged, wipe down interior that was ..well boring looking. But I think Subaru captured new customers when they showed that a rugged car can be "nice" inside. ... Why do i know this? My brother had a 2013 Manual Outback.... and my wife "had" a 2015 Automatic Outback (she now has a bronco sport, since December).

Will Ford update the interior in 2022...most likely not, as they just want to crank them out. But I forsee what Subaru did and maybe in 2024/25 Ford will re-work the interior "plastics"

Does it change my mind about it...hell no, it's Bada$$ !

Fun stuff that manual !! Plenty of power, for sure!

Sorry the dash-cam video's didnt come out well... that's what i get for it sitting in a box for the last 7 months. Forgot audio was off, and the memory card needed a format.

UTurn video:

Ford Bronco Just drove:  Badlands - 4 door - Softtop - Manual Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 7.00.11 PM

Ford Bronco Just drove:  Badlands - 4 door - Softtop - Manual 64799324741__AA974CAF-6D07-43EE-9F62-B54A82C6FB37.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How was the soft top? Noisy?

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thanks for posting!

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How was the soft top? Noisy?
It’s such a subjective thing, wind noise. Hard to really nail down a decision based on other people’s opinion for me. I highly recommend finding a dealership that has a drivable bronco

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your review confuses me. I felt you were trashing the manual/2.3 until the end when you said it was fun and powerful.

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Your review confuses me. I felt you were trashing the manual/2.3 until the end when you said it was fun and powerful.
My points were:

It's not your typical truck throw
It shifts more like a car, (this is OK and fun)
2nd gear lags when not up in the RPMs (but expected)

Manual will be more than sufficient. Sorry If I said otherwise.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My points were:

It's not your typical truck throw
It shifts more like a car, (this is OK and fun)
2nd gear lags when not up in the RPMs (but expected)

Manual will be more than sufficient. Sorry If I said otherwise.
Gotcha. This jibes with other reviews.

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
This is the plastic part i'm concerned with:
It looks and feels brittle, it's smooth black and looks like it will scratch and wear very very easy.
Wondering if there is a coating that can be applied.

The other plastics I can deal with...it's an offroad vehicle.

But i feel dust and debris will settle on this part, legs/arms/objects will rub against this part and it will start to scuff up very very fast.

Ford Bronco Just drove:  Badlands - 4 door - Softtop - Manual IMG_1958.JPG

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Curious if you’ve ever driven a wrangler JL with the 6 speed manual and how the power compares in the 2.3 manual trans bronco? Currently have a manual JLUR and have only driven the 2.7 bronco so far

Sponsored
OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious if you’ve ever driven a wrangler JL with the 6 speed manual and how the power compares in the 2.3 manual trans bronco? Currently have a manual JLUR and have only driven the 2.7 bronco so far
I have not, but if i find the time I will and report

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love this review. I love the interior, so that part of the review only reaffirms.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is the plastic part i'm concerned with:
It looks and feels brittle, it's smooth black and looks like it will scratch and wear very very easy.
Wondering if there is a coating that can be applied.

The other plastics I can deal with...it's an offroad vehicle.

But i feel dust and debris will settle on this part, legs/arms/objects will rub against this part and it will start to scuff up very very fast.

Ford Bronco Just drove:  Badlands - 4 door - Softtop - Manual IMG_1958.JPG
Consider some vinyl wrap. For fun and to try it out, I got carbon fiberish wrap for maybe 15 bucks off Amazon, and my son used some to wrap a few items on the dash of our BRZ.

It turned out decent, and I can always remove it with no damage to the underlying item. I'm now a fan of wraps. Leastways compared to the hassle of old school painting for certain items.
Ford Bronco Just drove:  Badlands - 4 door - Softtop - Manual DashWrap_01

Reactions: djp

Cactus Jack

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
See, I drove a manual 4-door almost identical to this one, but I thought it was underpowered. I am starting to think I was just shifting too early (3,000 rpm). Do you agree OP?

Impressions:

It shifts good, real good.

1st wont win a race for you, it just gets you going.
The throw is super short from 2nd to 3rd... I though I short shifted it the first few times and pumped the clutch as it didnt feel fully engaged in 3rd...but it was.
2nd is a struggle, when you do a u-turn and try to get out of it, its laggy, but I guess it's a 4cylr.
Yes,, this thing....even the 4-door is nimble! A U-turn from center lane is a breeze and no struggle, it just whips around....but then crawls from 2nd. (didnt try from first)

Suspension is butter! Took it on a small gravel road and it just floated.

Interior is pure $hit. The plastics are way, way bad. The area around the shift lever looks like it will crack within a year or two.
I'm surprised Ford released that cowling around the manual shifter. It even looks like it doesnt go.

Other than that, i loved it. Very stiff, sturdy feel. Sitting up high feels good, i forgot about how it felt.

Got it up to 85mph with the front windows open and it was as stable as could be.

Acceleration on the manual didn't really kick in until you got up to about 3500 rpm...but i'm not a racer so that will be just fine for me.

Super sad about the plasticy interior... it was quite sub-par.
If anyone knows an older Subaru, the interior is similar. When Subaru redesigned their Outback in 2015 it went from plasticy to ~nice/fancy. Look at any pre-2015 Subaru Outback and that's what the Bronco feels/looks like as far as interior. Subaru upset some die-hard fans when they did this, as they liked the rugged, wipe down interior that was ..well boring looking. But I think Subaru captured new customers when they showed that a rugged car can be "nice" inside. ... Why do i know this? My brother had a 2013 Manual Outback.... and my wife "had" a 2015 Automatic Outback (she now has a bronco sport, since December).

Will Ford update the interior in 2022...most likely not, as they just want to crank them out. But I forsee what Subaru did and maybe in 2024/25 Ford will re-work the interior "plastics"

Does it change my mind about it...hell no, it's Bada$$ !

Fun stuff that manual !! Plenty of power, for sure!

Sorry the dash-cam video's didnt come out well... that's what i get for it sitting in a box for the last 7 months. Forgot audio was off, and the memory card needed a format.

UTurn video:

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
See, I drove a manual 4-door almost identical to this one, but I thought it was underpowered. I am starting to think I was just shifting too early (3,000 rpm). Do you agree OP?
I drove a 4 door Badlands 4 cylinder manual too. I felt it was underpowered as well. You have to really keep it in the higher revs to get performance. Or keep it on the next lowest gear.

I found it to be non-responsive too. I just drove the auto V-6 yesterday. It was a short drive but it felt better at least.

Transmission was great though. They need to offer it in the V6.
Sponsored