Sponsored

Just looking for a fun ride, not a mountain goat.

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fun to watch all the crazy off road stuff, but I (and most buyers?) will never do anything even close to that. Maybe a rough dirt road or some driving on a snowy road, possibly some sand, but other than that will be a pavement only ride. I will NEVER take the doors off. I will never take the roof panels off. I wanted a fun to drive cool looking vehicle. I have a big Bend coming (January build and I got the VIN) and the only off road option I ordered was a locking rear diff. 7 speed with 4 cylinder is fun to shift (test drove one and loved it!) and steering felt great in sport mode. 2 door is a nice size for parking lots and our increasingly crowded roads. Its nice to know I can do some off roading if needed, but not my reason for buying.
Sponsored

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Honestly most people will never need a locking differential unless they plan on doing some actual off-roading. I had an FJ Cruiser for years and never once used the rear diff locker. Honestly I rarely used 4x4 in it. I do use 4x4 a lot in my diesel truck to avoid tearing up grass when moving trailers and getting firewood.

I ended up going base 7 speed manual, 2.3. I needed something newer and dependable that my fleet of classic cars so I will use it as a commuter. In 2021 it's hard to find a 3 year old Wrangler for what I will pay for a brand new Bronco base.

As time passes and aftermarket options surface I can always make a more capable, better vehicle.... and more likely much cheaper than trim levels available or I can keep it bone stock and just drive it like I plan.

broncoepic

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fun to watch all the crazy off road stuff, but I (and most buyers?) will never do anything even close to that. Maybe a rough dirt road or some driving on a snowy road, possibly some sand, but other than that will be a pavement only ride. I will NEVER take the doors off. I will never take the roof panels off. I wanted a fun to drive cool looking vehicle. I have a big Bend coming (January build and I got the VIN) and the only off road option I ordered was a locking rear diff. 7 speed with 4 cylinder is fun to shift (test drove one and loved it!) and steering felt great in sport mode. 2 door is a nice size for parking lots and our increasingly crowded roads. Its nice to know I can do some off roading if needed, but not my reason for buying.
Iā€™m working on a video that Iā€™ll think youā€™ll enjoy and will focus more on the fun and cool driving aspect of the Bronco. Stay tuned!!

Sponsored

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I also wonā€™t be doing a lot of off-roading, although some would consider Long Island roads as off-roading. We live on a barrier island off LI, which floods frequently and the two mile bridge can be challenging at times. I just love the Bronco for its ā€˜go anywhereā€™ practicality and good looks.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I spec'd a Black Diamond. I need it mostly to get in or out of my property when the river hits flood stage. But I'll run the fire roads around my hood, which is the Shenandoah National Park. I think a locking diff is necessary for off road use regardless of the terrain level. My YJ had open diffs front and rear and I nearly got stuck going up a small rocky incline long ago despite the solid axles. I think adding the locker in the rear for your Big Bend was a good move; it's cheap insurance. I'd bet you take the doors and roof off on a regular basis. Once you do, you'll find you will like it a lot and continue to do so.

My Bronco is going to be my primary retirement vehicle, which is going to replace a convertible I have now and probably my H3T when it finally rusts out and I can't get parts for it. I'm buying the Bronco now so I can pay it off while I'm still working. Worried about gas prices at this point. Anticipating shitty roads going forward for the next 25 years. Maybe I should start buying MREs too at this point. LOL

JJ Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Honestly most people will never need a locking differential unless they plan on doing some actual off-roading. I had an FJ Cruiser for years and never once used the rear diff locker. Honestly I rarely used 4x4 in it. I do use 4x4 a lot in my diesel truck to avoid tearing up grass when moving trailers and getting firewood.

I ended up going base 7 speed manual, 2.3. I needed something newer and dependable that my fleet of classic cars so I will use it as a commuter. In 2021 it's hard to find a 3 year old Wrangler for what I will pay for a brand new Bronco base.

As time passes and aftermarket options surface I can always make a more capable, better vehicle.... and more likely much cheaper than trim levels available or I can keep it bone stock and just drive it like I plan.

Good to read about not needing the rear locker for light off-roading.

In my rush to order I left off the rear locker on my BB and was thinking I screwed the pooch as they say.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We've been wheeling the piss out of our Base 2-Door with no lockers at all. I'm telling you these things are HIGHLY capable even in their most basic form. Yes you have to drive them smarter than the folks who got the Sasquatch package who can simply point and shoot, but that doesn't mean you have to stick to the graded dirt roads.

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

šŸ‘šŸ¼
Okay

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would much rather have a mechical torsen limited slip instead of the locker that came on my BD. I can use the LSD 100% of the time while the locker is only good for some rare extremely low speed situations. The locker is practically useless for common situations around here like droving on snow covered roads, or trying to pull out quickly in the rain or ice.

7722 Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST/ 2019 F350 CC DRW 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

We've been wheeling the piss out of our Base 2-Door with no lockers at all. I'm telling you these things are HIGHLY capable even in their most basic form. Yes you have to drive them smarter than the folks who got the Sasquatch package who can simply point and shoot, but that doesn't mean you have to stick to the graded dirt roads.
I will agree with that also. I'm rolling in the dealer mannequin Outer Banks with open rear diff, no lockers and basically street tires with the Bridgestone 255/70/18 AT's. I was really impressed with the capabilities of a stock, non sasquatched, Bronco in the area I went to yesterday. That being said, can't wait to get our Wildtrak with lockers to get out even further into the trail system around Red River Gorge.

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I spec'd a Black Diamond. I need it mostly to get in or out of my property when the river hits flood stage. But I'll run the fire roads around my hood, which is the Shenandoah National Park. I think a locking diff is necessary for off road use regardless of the terrain level. My YJ had open diffs front and rear and I nearly got stuck going up a small rocky incline long ago despite the solid axles. I think adding the locker in the rear for your Big Bend was a good move; it's cheap insurance. I'd bet you take the doors and roof off on a regular basis. Once you do, you'll find you will like it a lot and continue to do so.

My Bronco is going to be my primary retirement vehicle, which is going to replace a convertible I have now and probably my H3T when it finally rusts out and I can't get parts for it. I'm buying the Bronco now so I can pay it off while I'm still working. Worried about gas prices at this point. Anticipating shitty roads going forward for the next 25 years. Maybe I should start buying MREs too at this point. LOL
I've done plenty of rough camping off those fire roads. Sometimes the camps get muddy after rains and having more ground clearance helps in some of the camps that haven't been well cleared.

If Ford had offered more flexible options---33" tires on BD and Lux interior I may have gone that route. After doing a bunch of research, Sasquatch seemed worth the money. If I want to save money on gas/tire replacements then I can always go down to 33s. I figure the stock Goodyear 35s will get me through the first 20-25K miles. Plenty of time to weigh options for replacement.

We always stop in that Liberty in Churchville to fuel up and pick up a bag of Martin's BBQ Potato Chips!

viffer07

Black Diamond
First Name
pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
chevy 2500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
agree with you, bouncing a vehicle off a tree, rock or mountain and causing damage isn"t "fun".
Although I ordered ours with the Squatch package, it will be mostly off-roading on the beach and gravel roads.
So, can anyone tell me if receiving a hammock a couple of months ago, and a BRONCO flag yesterday has any significance as far as a build date,or is Ford just baiting me ?
Sponsored