Sponsored

Just remember - this is a rival, not a clone (to Jeep Wrangler)

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
This is a Rival, not a clone

Ford isn't new to the offroading game, and unlike Toyota who was emulating the Xterra with the FJ Cruiser, Ford is targeting Jeep but also doing there own there. Besides that, Ford already entered a R into Baja, and did pretty well for their first attempt with the new vehicle.

As many have pointed out, they're more going for the Adventuring/Overlanding/High Speeds crowd from what it looks like vs Jeeps Rock Crawling. Also remember that Ford has the Raptor out long enough to know what they can do with the IFS.

Unlike Jeep, they're offering two turbo engines to Jeeps NA V6 that'll blow if you slap a blower of some sort on it or Turbo 4/Diesel 6 that ONLY come with automatics.

Ford has Ford Racing, so there's a chance that along with the aftermarket, sure they'll have a SFA kit available for those who want it.

Now of course, there are those of you who already have your mind made up, and that's fine, you wanted this to be a pure Wrangler Slayer and are disappointed. This isn't for you guys, this is for those who are kinda sorta on the fence or just looking for a positive take on things.

Just my 2 cents
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Forgot to add, with the turbo engines, the stick guys won't be complaining about gearing and torque as much, as again, the Pentastar isn't going to handle boost

Also, being Aluminum, it'll be lighter no matter how you slice it, and due to the SFA, while none of us are tossing it around turns like a Miata here, sure you can take them a pinch harder and faster than the jeep, plus it'll be a bit more planted in general

Again,
Ford Bronco Just remember - this is a rival, not a clone (to Jeep Wrangler) 1579709525414

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is a Rival, not a clone

Ford isn't new to the offroading game, and unlike Toyota who was emulating the Xterra with the FJ Cruiser, Ford is targeting Jeep but also doing there own there. Besides that, Ford already entered a R into Baja, and did pretty well for their first attempt with the new vehicle.

As many have pointed out, they're more going for the Adventuring/Overlanding/High Speeds crowd from what it looks like vs Jeeps Rock Crawling. Also remember that Ford has the Raptor out long enough to know what they can do with the IFS.

Unlike Jeep, they're offering two turbo engines to Jeeps NA V6 that'll blow if you slap a blower of some sort on it or Turbo 4/Diesel 6 that ONLY come with automatics.

Ford has Ford Racing, so there's a chance that along with the aftermarket, sure they'll have a SFA kit available for those who want it.

Now of course, there are those of you who already have your mind made up, and that's fine, you wanted this to be a pure Wrangler Slayer and are disappointed. This isn't for you guys, this is for those who are kinda sorta on the fence or just looking for a positive take on things.

Just my 2 cents
No need to start a new thread, this has been discussed to exhausting lengths.
Summary, the Bronco DNF’d at Baja, the Raptor is 80”wide, a short wheelbase vehicle is not ideal for high speed desert racing nor will it perform as well as the Ranger Raptor or F150 Raptor for that purpose. Jeep has Mopar and accessories are limitless.
Close this

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
We'll see about closing this, no promises

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'm gonna push the Bronco Sport/ Cherokee (not Renegade) comparison until the day I die or at least until the day I have sufficient information to change my mind.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Forgot to add, with the turbo engines, the stick guys won't be complaining about gearing and torque as much, as again, the Pentastar isn't going to handle boost

Also, being Aluminum, it'll be lighter no matter how you slice it, and due to the SFA, while none of us are tossing it around turns like a Miata here, sure you can take them a pinch harder and faster than the jeep, plus it'll be a bit more planted in general

Again,
Not to be Debbie Downer but the estimated curb weights are heavier for the Bronco. And FWIW the Wrangler has an aluminum hood starting with the JK. Not sure what other components may be aluminum on the JL.

But agree with the positivity and embracing diversity of approach with an open mind rather than clone.

BroncoJeremie

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not to be Debbie Downer but the estimated curb weights are heavier for the Bronco. And FWIW the Wrangler has an aluminum hood starting with the JK. Not sure what other components may be aluminum on the JL.

But agree with the positivity and embracing diversity of approach with an open mind rather than clone.
Anyone who thinks they figured out the weight of the bronco will be wrong, on the case that there is no accurate way to just look at a vehicle and know it's weight

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone who thinks they figured out the weight of the bronco will be wrong, on the case that there is no accurate way to just look at a vehicle and know it's weight
Gotta wait till county fairs can open before you can get a carny to get a proper weight that way.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Did you mean to say starting with the JL? The Jeep Wranglers JK hoods are not made of aluminum, at least mine isn't. Actually, I can't think of a single part on my JKUR that is made from aluminum. Jeep started using aluminum alloy for some of the body parts for the JL.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Did you mean to say starting with the JL? The Jeep Wranglers JK hoods are not made of aluminum, at least mine isn't. Actually, I can't think of a single part on my JKUR that is made from aluminum. Jeep started using aluminum alloy for some of the body parts for the JL.
Ok - swear I read that somewhere a long time ago. Car magnet test says not fully magnetic, but sorta a little magnetic (nothing like the fender.) What I do know for certain is the 2000 TJ hood is a lot heavier than the 2008 JK hood.

And either way, that should make the Bronco even lighter than my JK, not 700lbs heavier.

If they would just actually announce real specs we’d have real numbers to discuss...

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ok - swear I read that somewhere a long time ago. Car magnet test says not fully magnetic, but sorta a little magnetic (nothing like the fender.) What I do know for certain is the 2000 TJ hood is a lot heavier than the 2008 JK hood.

And either way, that should make the Bronco even lighter than my JK, not 700lbs heavier.

If they would just actually announce real specs we’d have real numbers to discuss...
Yeah. With at least most of the major cities/suburbs of, locked down, Ford missing a huge opportunity to have upwards of superbowl
type viewage right now.
Sponsored