Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

... If I think of anything else I'll update.
Sponsored

OtisFE

Outer Banks
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

….and away we go!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

Thanks for the honest feedback.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Da Jokker, really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us.

I must admit that I was not surprised at your views on the sound system. Since day one, I have put aside the funds to do a proper upgrade to the sound system. I have spoken to the audio installer, and they are going to put speakers in the doors, but with waterproof quick disconnects so that it won't interfere with taking the doors off.
As to the engine, I would think that it is still in the break in period and I hope that is impacting your view of its power. I have the 2.3 ordered as I want a manual, but I also plan on getting it tuned and upgrade the exhaust system to allow it to breath easier. Based on what I have read from the Mustang and Ranger owners with a 2.3, these upgrades improve the power noticeably.
One question for you is, how did you find its driving on the road with the 35's? Did it track fine, was the steering responsive, etc.?

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. 1626556095389

I don’t care what you said after this. You win. :LOL:

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some good things....

you are spot on about the sound system .... I am amazed at how Ford stuck that crap in a $50k vehicle.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The engine is detuned for the break in period so that would explain the lack of power. I anticipated the sound being lack luster. No plan to put speakers in the door but I will find a way to upgrade the system once I get it. Small speakers on the dash might go a long way.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@da_jokker, nothing wrong with your post, if it didn't wow you, it just didn't.

Want to blame the lack of power on two things; I'm sure it was only filled with regular fuel, not premium, and the Bronco transmission just isn't tuned for speed off the line. I think once it gets into the mid gears, it picks up, but that's just my speculation based on how vehicles like this are normally set up.

Your stereo review is concerning to me though and I've been worried that I'll have to upgrade the speakers and I have a Lux on order. This is a big deal to me because I like decent sound when driving around and definitely with the prospect of having the front panels removed. My build has a roof rack, so the back will rarely get removed, plus it rains too damn much here in the South.

Appreciate your thread and observations!

Sponsored

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for taking the time to share honest feedback. Its a nice balance to the emotional highs from the initial excitement. from the people who are getting theirs. At nearly $60K when mine arrives someday, i want to hear this stuff so I have realistic expectations.

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any Jeep owners that have experience with the bronco’s sound system? Curious how they compare being both vehicle lose the speakers in the door concept...

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sorry it takes a year for you to convince someone to go to bed with you, that's disappointing for sure.
Especially since I'm married... Thought it was part of the contract ;p
Sponsored