Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's funny because just a few hours ago I test drove a WT SAS 2.7L & I was floored by the get up & go it had. Last fall I tested a 2.3L lifted ranger & was satisfied with the output. I guess to each their own..
I think it's been FASCINATING to read all the varying perceptions of these motors after test drives on here.

I was impressed by both the 2.7+automatic and 2.3+manual. The 2.7 was on factory 35s and the 2.3 manual was on 35x12.5 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts. I was especially impressed at how well the 2.3 turned the 35s, and how it wasn't a chore to drive with the manual.

For those disappointed- I'm wondering what their experiences are with driving vehicles like this with 35s (in the case of the Wildpeak M/Ts, the wheel/tire setup weighing slightly over 100lbs per corner).

Ever driven a modern Tacoma/4Runner on 35s? Ever driven a manual Wrangler with a 3.45 rear on 35s? Any of the ubiquitous 1/2 ton pickups from the 90s/2000s that we all put 35s on?

A lot of people seem to be converging on the Bronco from different realms of the automotive world, a lot of whom I can tell have never experienced 100lb wheel/tire combinations before. This has created expectations that are all over the place.

Like I said, it's been fascinating to see.
Sponsored

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it's been FASCINATING to read all the varying perceptions of these motors after test drives on here.

I was impressed by both the 2.7+automatic and 2.3+manual. The 2.7 was on factory 35s and the 2.3 manual was on 35x12.5 Falken Wildpeak M/Ts. I was especially impressed at how well the 2.3 turned the 35s, and how it wasn't a chore to drive with the manual.

For those disappointed- I'm wondering what their experiences are with driving vehicles like this with 35s (in the case of the Wildpeak M/Ts, the wheel/tire setup weighing slightly over 100lbs per corner).

Ever driven a modern Tacoma/4Runner on 35s? Ever driven a manual Wrangler with a 3.45 rear on 35s? Any of the ubiquitous 1/2 ton pickups from the 90s/2000s that we all put 35s on?

A lot of people seem to be converging on the Bronco from different realms of the automotive world, a lot of whom I can tell have never experienced 100lb wheel/tire combinations before. This has created expectations that are all over the place.

That's exactly what I think every time someone talks about the 2.3. I looked and my old '91 Bronco. Curb weight was 4500 pounds and it had a 5.0 302. HP was 185 @ 3500rpm and torque was 270ftlbs @ 2700rpm. I rolled around on 33 x 12.50s without a worry in the world. I wasn't trying to drag race anyone, but it never got me stuck and I put it through hell. Curb weight on a 2 door 2021 is 4300 to 4900 (depending on options). The 2.3 is rated at 270hp/310ftlbs. That's a significant difference in power for basically the same weight. Hell, my 2001 Lightning was 4,600lbs and was 360/440 with a supercharged 5.4. It was a fucking rocket at the time, but the acceleration would be considered fairly pedestrian by today's standards.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Everyone is going to have a differing opinion, and it all depends on what you want. You have to remember that this is a direct competitor to the Jeep Wrangler so its going to be very similar in some areas. Doug Demuro said it best, if you are expecting a Mercedes G-Wagen, this is not it.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The engine is detuned for the break in period so that would explain the lack of power. I anticipated the sound being lack luster. No plan to put speakers in the door but I will find a way to upgrade the system once I get it. Small speakers on the dash might go a long way.
Is it really detuned though? I know there's been some debates about this but I haven't seen any actual proof.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's exactly what I think every time someone talks about the 2.3. I looked and my old '91 Bronco. Curb weight was 4500 pounds and it had a 5.0 302. HP was 185 @ 3500rpm and torque was 270ftlbs @ 2700rpm. I rolled around on 33 x 12.50s without a worry in the world. I wasn't trying to drag race anyone, but it never got me stuck and I put it through hell. Curb weight on a 2 door 2021 is 4300 to 4900 (depending on options). The 2.3 is rated at 270hp/310ftlbs. That's a significant difference in power for basically the same weight. Hell, my 2001 Lightning was 4,600lbs and was 360/440 with a supercharged 5.4. It was a fucking rocket at the time, but the acceleration would be considered fairly pedestrian by today's standards.
First off I love the bronco on your profile pic, same colors as my Dads '87.
My Dad's had the same engine, and for some reason the sound equated to more ponies somehow lol! I never felt it was underpowered and when I found out years and years later it was underpowered it blew my mind.

Sponsored

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The engine is detuned for the break in period so that would explain the lack of power. I anticipated the sound being lack luster. No plan to put speakers in the door but I will find a way to upgrade the system once I get it. Small speakers on the dash might go a long way.
Forget thier sound system...
just throw one of these in the back
Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. 1628259721139

https://mackie.com/products/freeplay

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

The difference between the bronco and whatever people did with stock drivetrains years ago while adding 35s, is that ford took the 315s into consideration for the bronco design.
4.70 gears 300+hp, 400+tq should have zero issues with 315s. I think ford has a huge factor of safety in the engine and transmission programming, which makes it a dog. The 2.7 is quick in the f—150 and edge though.
I drove a wildtrak yesterday and it is slower than our cvt hybrid minivan. There were a lot of things that i liked about my test drive, but the 2.7 was not impressive.

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it really detuned though? I know there's been some debates about this but I haven't seen any actual proof.
doesnt sound like it, but people have more or less confirmed that it could be the transmission learning still. When I got a new transmission in my truck it was like a different car for a few months

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The difference between the bronco and whatever people did with stock drivetrains years ago while adding 35s, is that ford took the 315s into consideration for the bronco design.
4.70 gears 300+hp, 400+tq should have zero issues with 315s. I think ford has a huge factor of safety in the engine and transmission programming, which makes it a dog. The 2.7 is quick in the f—150 and edge though.
I drove a wildtrak yesterday and it is slower than our cvt hybrid minivan. There were a lot of things that i liked about my test drive, but the 2.7 was not impressive.
Like I said- interesting.

Have you driven anything on 35s that produces adequate straight-line performance in your mind? What was it?

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Like I said- interesting.

Have you driven anything on 35s that produces adequate straight-line performance in your mind? What was it?
Raptor, ecoboost f150.

Edit: a lifted flex on 35s is probably faster than a wildtrak.

Sponsored
First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No, not cancelling, I'm sure by the time I'm done customizing I'll be more than happy with it, And for off-road I'm sure it's going to be outstanding.

But it just pulls the Bronco off that pedestal a bit if you know what I mean.

For example the one thing that is kept me away from the Jeep is the crappy engine choices. But I test drove the 2.0, 3.6, and 3.0 and now the actual 2.7... things to think about, especially when you consider the MPG factor.
What do you mean when talk about jeep having crappy engine choices...? Jeep offers a V8 engine & a diesel engine option to choose from. It don't get much better than that IMO...

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raptor, ecoboost f150.

Edit: a lifted flex on 35s is probably faster than a wildtrak.
Gen2 Raptor is great answer! I agree with you, that vehicle turns 35s very well.

If a $70,000 pickup making 510lb ft of torque is what produces adequate straight line performance with 35s for you, then I'd agree the Bronco is definitely not going to satisfy.

I continue to learn a lot about this mindset. I appreciate the response.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Gen2 Raptor is great answer! I agree with you, that vehicle turns 35s very well.

If a $70,000 pickup making 510lb ft of torque is what produces adequate straight line performance with 35s for you, then I'd agree the Bronco is definitely not going to satisfy.

I continue to learn a lot about this mindset. I appreciate the response.
Did you forget to read the rest of my list showing an ecoboost f-150? Those typically have 3.31 or 3.55 gears. I also did not specify gen 2.

There is a guy on this forum with a lifted f-150( i think 2.7). @2Jeeps&PatriotX1 , is your f-150 a 2.7? If so, how is the acceleration with your lift and tires?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you forget to read the rest of my list showing an ecoboost f-150? Those typically have 3.31 or 3.55 gears. I also did not specify gen 2.

There is a guy on this forum with a lifted f-150( i think 2.7). @2Jeeps&PatriotX1 , is your f-150 a 2.7? If so, how is the acceleration with your lift and tires?
I have the 3.5 in my ‘17 f150 supercrew, 10speed, 6” lift, heavy 35” MT tires/20” wheels and it hauls ass for a giant truck, smokes my wife’s grand cherokee 3.6. I average 18.1mpg on highway, 16.5city. Most of my driving including towing is 5000-10000’ elevation.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The 2.7 in the Bronco is an absolute dog compared to the 2.7 in an F150. There is no debate here. I won’t speculate as to why, I’m not smart enough for that.

The 2.7 Bronco also gets smoked by a 2.3 Ranger.
Sponsored