Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

Some good things....

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

... If I think of anything else I'll update.
This is the kind of review I was looking for, so thank you. I have a V8 currently, so I'm a little worried about the 2.7 engine. I also drive over an hour every day so if I can't hear the radio/spotify I'm going to be very unhappy.

Also, VB is not late availability. I don't think it will show scratches or dirt a lot. I have a blue truck that is a little darker and it shows mud (obv), but it mostly shows limerock dust more than anything.
Sponsored

gigidaho

Wildtrak
First Name
Gig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

that was the most ā€˜ewā€™ intro who could ever care about whatever opinion comes after it?

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So when I logged in I was prepared to be greeted with pages of people ripping me apart for my post. I had even braced myself for the below the belt hits claiming that I must be wearing flannel or something.... But overall you guys took it easy on me.

Just to clarify, maybe I didn't articulate enough, but in no way was I comparing the Bronco to a sports car. I was simply stating that I went into it with an expectation that a V6, 2.7L, Turbo'd engine would have a significant impact on me over a I4, 2.5L, NA... And it just really didn't. I'm not saying it's not enough to do what it needs to do... But it definitely didn't put a big old smile on my face like you see in some of the other review videos.

However, with that said, the actual point I was trying to make is that for those going back and forth between the 2.3 and the 2.7, IF you are getting Sasquatch, or plan on doing large tires down the road, you may just want to rethink it a little bit.

I could be totally wrong. Jeep puts and even smaller 4 banger in their Rubicon, oddly they won't let you get their new recon extreme package with that smaller motor for some reason.. But that's neither here nor there.

If you take away anything from it, I would just highly recommend you stay in tune with your local dealer and go for a test drive ASAP when they get their demos.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh as far as the dash..it was just odd. Now admittedly and didn't adjust my seat height or anything like that. But it was just a bit odd.

Kind of like if you've ever angled your big screen TV a little off so you're not looking straight at it. Nothing you wouldn't get used to. Initially I just thought I'd have to duck a little bit to see it but you don't.

In both of the dealer events I had gone to before where you could just look at the Bronco they never had them started so I never saw the dash lite up trying to read it.

It's far from a deal killer, folks have commented on the straight up and down flat dash look and they just apparently carried that through for the Gauges.

Caiden16

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I understand that maybe she wasnā€™t feeling fresh and your disappointment has you up late at night. A lot of us have been on lockdown since 96 so the muffin top and jogging pants donā€™t phase me.

Sponsored

BroncoBass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love reading these because so many people have no idea what a bronco is... EDIT:. We all want the bronco for different reasons. For me, this thing will cover gnarly terrain and get me way back into nature and then do 75 mph on the freeway on the way home. These things just aren't made to be city drivers. Test drives should be held on BLM... Then we can have some real discussions.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason for the near vertical or tilted towards driver dash is to keep glare and dust off the screens I would assume. My 2012 F350 tilts back and my wife's 2018 Toyota tilts back and we live on dirt roads those screens have to be frequently cleaned to be usable. The 2013 or 2014 super dutys went to the vertical screens and dust and glare are no longer a problem.

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Thank you for the impressions, nothing wrong with having an opinion...

1) Dashes that tilt away from the driver bother me- if there's a function to use or a display to see, and it's near the top of the dash, it's further from reach or view. Also, it creates a mostly useless (and glare-conducive) void in the cabin with the windshield, whose rake is typically in the opposite direction (aka most dash/windshields combos, but I digress). Broncos and other true 'utes' being exceptions in both cases, *because they are utes, and that's the style* - shouldn't be surprised here - lots of photography on this for a year+ now.

Unless your seven feet+ tall and driving with the roof off at all times I don't see how a ~vertical dash is a problem *with the seat and wheel properly adjusted*(?)

2) Now officially concerned about the stereo with all I've read. 4in in the rear pods IIRC?!?!?! Working in car audio and building fiberglass kicks as a high schooler (20+ yrs ago...), I will be examining those closely and trying to figure out how to morph (at least) some 5-1/4" into them.

Has anyone seen measurements of the (polygonal) pods anywhere? (curse you b6g search!)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am less concerned about the 2.7 than I am the weak ass sound system. Not that I expected anything from the factory sound system, but to hear from multiple sources that it is sad (at best) is disappointing because it didn't need to be.

The 2.7 is a known performer and responds well to tuning, which is obviously going to be necessary. I suspect that it's detuned in the lower gears (1st, maybe 2nd) much like my Suzuki SV1000s was... They pulled all sorts of timing in first gear on the SV1000s to make it more docile/manageable, and I suspect that the Bronco is a similar story.

As far as the sound system goes, back in the mid 90's, Panasonic had a sound system for the miata that was awesome (Bodysonic) with headrest speakers and a bass driver in the seat. This would have made for an easy victory in the sound system department. This is not rocket science!

At the end of the day, I would be happy if Ford could just manage the hardtop problem. I can address the other areas myself, if needed.

Xploit

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

ugh. I have NOT driven one yet, but I did get to sit in and start up a 2 door WT. Since we are being honest, I too left a little bit deflated. I donā€™t know what it is but I wasnā€™t blown away at all. I wish I was. I felt it was too big. The one I have coming in in August is a badlands with optional wheels (2dr) and I am hoping it feels smaller. When I got in I felt like it was huge. I donā€™t know it just felt big and a little cheap. I will pick mine up and if I donā€™t fall in love I will put it up for sale. I am going to drive a Defender 90 on Monday, but I really hope I love the bronco.

Sponsored

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some good things....

Sorry to hear that dudeā€¦. I got my 4dr FE last week, complete opposite experience. Blew away my expectations and my expectations were highā€¦

Dr.Detroit

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150 XLT 150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Oh as far as the dash..it was just odd. Now admittedly and didn't adjust my seat height or anything like that. But it was just a bit odd.

Kind of like if you've ever angled your big screen TV a little off so you're not looking straight at it. Nothing you wouldn't get used to. Initially I just thought I'd have to duck a little bit to see it but you don't.

In both of the dealer events I had gone to before where you could just look at the Bronco they never had them started so I never saw the dash lite up trying to read it.

It's far from a deal killer, folks have commented on the straight up and down flat dash look and they just apparently carried that through for the Gauges.
ah, yes better description..thx

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Jeep has an advantage there because there are speakers right behind the driver's head. Bronco can't have those because there's no crossbar (which is also an advantage over the Jeep, but for a different reason).
I fade front because that is where the soundstage should be. I have a JK with the Infinity so not apples to apples but the main difference in the Jeep is the 6-1/2ā€ are in the lower dash facing you, rather than the kick panel facing in, and the tweets are in tombstones on top of the dash facing you. That said, I lose a lot of mid range to wind noise.

The Bronco definitely needs an amp and better speakers. Maybe that mid dash speaker helps with the B&O. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Last edited:

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

ugh. I have NOT driven one yet, but I did get to sit in and start up a 2 door WT. Since we are being honest, I too left a little bit deflated. I donā€™t know what it is but I wasnā€™t blown away at all. I wish I was. I felt it was too big. The one I have coming in in August is a badlands with optional wheels (2dr) and I am hoping it feels smaller. When I got in I felt like it was huge. I donā€™t know it just felt big and a little cheap. I will pick mine up and if I donā€™t fall in love I will put it up for sale. I am going to drive a Defender 90 on Monday, but I really hope I love the bronco.
Be prepared. The Defender 90 looks cool on the outside, but with that whimpy dash shifter feels strange - like not like an off-road vehicle at all / maybe an upscale version of a London cab. I does not have the purpose built feel at all.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

However, with that said, the actual point I was trying to make is that for those going back and forth between the 2.3 and the 2.7, IF you are getting Sasquatch, or plan on doing large tires down the road, you may just want to rethink it a little bit.
I agree with that assessment. I would go one step further and apply it to the Badlands trim or any 4-dr. The Badlands is toting along extra weight in under armor. If getting a 4-dr Badlands then you add in the extra weight of the chassis. The 2.7L should be considered for the heavier outfitted vehicles.

I'm on Team Two Door and not getting the Sasquatch so I feel the 2.3L is more than enough. I'm a card carrying member of the final GOAT mode - Grandpa mode. I'm notoriously a slow-poke. I'm not in a hurry to be anywhere. But if I was going big and heavy, I wouldn't even consider the 2.3L.

I drove the 4-dr OBX with 2.7L and the Stage 1 4WP package. I found it to be lively in Sport mode. Driving in Eco mode for a brief time and it felt gutless. I drive the 3.6L v6 in the Jeep so I know what gutless is.
Sponsored