Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats on getting to test drive at least.
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ugh. I have NOT driven one yet, but I did get to sit in and start up a 2 door WT. Since we are being honest, I too left a little bit deflated. I donā€™t know what it is but I wasnā€™t blown away at all. I wish I was. I felt it was too big. The one I have coming in in August is a badlands with optional wheels (2dr) and I am hoping it feels smaller. When I got in I felt like it was huge. I donā€™t know it just felt big and a little cheap. I will pick mine up and if I donā€™t fall in love I will put it up for sale. I am going to drive a Defender 90 on Monday, but I really hope I love the bronco.
Can I ask when your reservation time was? Thanks.

soupcook

Outer Banks
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger and 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The engine is detuned for the break in period so that would explain the lack of power. I anticipated the sound being lack luster. No plan to put speakers in the door but I will find a way to upgrade the system once I get it. Small speakers on the dash might go a long way.
The engine is detuned for break-in? I've never heard of that and I just purchased a 2020 Ford Ranger. As usual on new vehicles, instructions for break-in are in the operator's manual and the operator controls whether or not they want to follow the instructions. Maybe you can explain?

AP_2004

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, IS250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Appreciate the honest review.

I test drove a 4dr Oxford White OBX 2.3 non-squatch yesterday and was neither blown away nor disappointed. The driving experience was great and the 2.3 seemed more than capable. The soft top is pretty quiet and the interior was nice - really liked the leather seats but I have mixed feelings on all the hard plastic. The sound system is pretty disappointing imo and would be one of the first things Iā€™d try to upgrade. I did notice that the check engine light was on but I didnā€™t get a chance to ask abt it as it was starting to rain when I got back.

Havenā€™t ordered yet, waiting to see what the ā€˜22 changes will be and Iā€™m indecisive so seeing one in person will definitely help my decision making, I think;)

BD1

Badlands
First Name
BD1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any Jeep owners that have experience with the broncoā€™s sound system? Curious how they compare being both vehicle lose the speakers in the door concept...
Yes, I have 2018 JK 2Dr Rubicon. I test drove a 2Dr Wildtrack with B&O. First off, I think the Alpine sound system in the JL is really good for this type of vehicle. Jeep actually has a different sound profile for hard top vs soft top and it automatically switches based on what top is on.

I did notice right away not having the sound bar over the back of my head. The top was down on my test drive. I turned up the volume and I thought the sound was ok with top down - not great. Jeep definitely is better here with but I really like the larger open air experience.

I also thought the 2.7 was nice and peppy. It was a short test drive but I was very impressed with drive, interior and exterior. It is noticeably bigger than the 2Dr Jeep inside and out. I really like my Jeep but am looking forward to my 2Dr Badlands.

Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. IMG_0483

Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. IMG_0485

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The engine is detuned for break-in? I've never heard of that and I just purchased a 2020 Ford Ranger. As usual on new vehicles, instructions for break-in are in the operator's manual and the operator controls whether or not they want to follow the instructions. Maybe you can explain?
Yeah, I'd like to know that as well. Though my car is not a Ford, I do have a 2.5 turbo KIA, that I bought new and it has the same power from new to the 1300 miles I have on it now.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I did not experience the same level of let-down test driving a 4d 2.7 SAS BB today. I have owned many Wranglers though, so have a good baseline for expectations as opposed to, say, my Teslas.
I think a lot of perspective can be had from Jeep owners. Not to take anything away from the da jokker's opinions as they are valid, but it's quite difficult to compare a vehicle like the Bronco when there's isn't any experience with a vehicle in it's class. I haven't driven a Bronco, so I can't compare the 2 myself. My Wrangler JL has the 3.6L. And while it's quite adequate, it isn't my wife's Mustang 5.0. The 3.6L while not a rocket will get you moving, and in my experience does a great job on easy to mid level trails. I don't think I would try comparing the 2.3L in my Ranger to the 2.3L in a Bronco because of the weight. The 2.3 does a fine job in the Ranger, but the added weight of the Bronco is something one would surely need to get used too. That being said I'm going with the 2.7L in my OBX 4dr, because of the same concerns that da jokker has. I just wonder if the 2.3L will be what I want in my Bronco. As far as ride, and handling I expect the Bronco to be very close to the same as my Jeep. But, in the steering department I expect the IFS in the Bronco to be some better that the SFA with the pitman arm of my Jeep. With the Bronco I'm going in with the thought that whatever it is I'll get used to it just like I did with my Jeep.

Noog1315

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What dealer had this mannequin?? Iā€™m down in Vacaville and have been dying to get my hands on one! Thank you in advance!

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for your post and review. I'm test driving a mannequin later this week. While I'm prepared to love the Bronco, I'm also prepared to notice any red flags.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

... If I think of anything else I'll update.
1. Agree. I hate just about everything with the dash layout. The instrument cluster is at a weird angle. The lip that hangs over the screen just annoys me to no end. It had to be designed before they stuffed the 12ā€ screen in there. The stupid lip covers the top part of the screen, I canā€™t see the time and temp without bending down. Here are some pics I grabbed a while back showing my view and whatā€™s cut off.

2. The sound system is garbage. B&O is garbage with some base. The sound is all front, the rear speakers are laughable not sure why they even included them they are so bad.

3. Both engines are slow off the line. Never got the 2.7 to give that throw you back in the seat feeling Iā€™m used to with EB engines. They have to be tuned conservative. I donā€™t expect sports car performance and the 2.7 is a beast off-road. Was just surprised at street performance.

Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. 1626618053790

Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. 1626618112343

Sponsored

DHC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Regarding the Bronco's audio, check out the 'electronics' forum.

Lots of discussion already among folks that are going to replace, upgrade the system.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not one to really question people's butt dynamics but as a fellow mazda owner I wouldn't say the the na 2.5 in the mazda puts anyone in the seat. Hell I have the turbo 2.5 in my 6 and while it scoots it plenty well it doesn't put you in the seat either.

chris_rosen

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Interesting feedbackā€¦ Iā€™m currently in a 20 Raptor and the B&O sound system is total crap. I spent around $2,500 upgrading it and now itā€™s livableā€¦barely. I donā€™t understand why Ford puts total garbage sound systems in their vehicles.

Your post confirms what Iā€™ve been worried about all along: power. Some of this concern stems from being spoiled with the Raptorā€™s 450 hp motor; not sure I can step down to the 2.7L. I 99ā€™d my reservation but now Iā€™ll definitely hold out for the Bronco Raptor, or a 22 Raptor with the 37 package (just canā€™t do the blue suede in the 21 model). Sure would love to get the Raptor R, but Iā€™m betting itā€™ll be north of $100K. Anyway, thanks again for the review. I love this site!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to keep in mind as people are getting their Broncos or testing mannies is that the engine computer is still in break in mode and limits the amount of pressure the turbos can push out.

Everyone who has ridden in Moab, ride alongs, or the Off Rodeos has ridden in pre-broken-in Broncos (or non-limited).
is this actually verified? The engine reduces boost for break in? Iā€™ve had multiple turbo cars and have never heard of this.

I havenā€™t driven either the 2.3 or 2.7 but they make plenty of power and even coming from some higher HP turbos, Iā€™m sure I will be impressed by on road performance of either in any trim.