Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

is this actually verified? The engine reduces boost for break in? I’ve had multiple turbo cars and have never heard of this.

I haven’t driven either the 2.3 or 2.7 but they make plenty of power and even coming from some higher HP turbos, I’m sure I will be impressed by on road performance of either in any trim.
Yeah, i was basing that off of what I've heard others claim, but there is a new thread about how it's not likely the case.

Only thing people have verified is the tranny learning period?
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dayof approx 1 hour after commercial.
Thanks, I'm about an hour and half after you, gives me a slight glimer of hope yet lol.

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any Jeep owners that have experience with the bronco’s sound system? Curious how they compare being both vehicle lose the speakers in the door concept...
Coming from a JL rubicon to the Lux package B&O system. The Bronco system is ok. The subwoofer rattles the plastic panels in the rear with the bass eq’d down a few notches. The wrangler rattled the overhead sports bar plastic too. It’s a true 4x4 not an Escalade. It is acceptable to me but not a reason to get it.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, i was basing that off of what I've heard others claim, but there is a new thread about how it's not likely the case.

Only thing people have verified is the tranny learning period?
yeah, I heard about the transmission learning too. I just find it hard to believe that 400tq would be unimpressive, even in a 4 door sasquatch. I think I would be grinning ear to ear. Hopefully I can test drive one soon

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

... If I think of anything else I'll update.
OP - Sounds like we were checking out a mannequin at Geweke Ford in Yuba City at exactly the same time yesterday. The one at Geweke is Antimatter Blue, OBX, 4-door, soft top, 2.7 with roast interior. The wife and I had received a few text messages that they had one and to come check it out. Well we did...we didn't have any hard expectations but were definitely curious to see for ourselves what all the hype was about. After seeing it, sitting in it and dissecting it, we came away with a similar 'meh' feeling. The wife absolutely loved the color and the size of the Bronco, she drives a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited currently, and the interior size seemed to be very similar.

Now, a couple of things that we thought were disappointing.

1) PLASTIC!!! Everything is plastic, yes as are most vehicles now days, but this just seemed like every hard surface inside and out was plastic; and not just trim pieces but huge chunky plastic. The dash was one huge slab of plastic, the instrument pod was hard to see and seemed out of proportion to the rest of the dash.

2) The cowl cover, again more plastic, this time a huge diving board of plastic which actually looked like an after thought. The hood and fenders flow great until they reach the windshield area where there is massive void filled in with the plastic step stool of a cowl cover.

3) The soft top, 88 degrees outside and you could hardly touch the underside of the soft top for more than a second or two because of the heat transfer through the top. It very heavy weight material and looks quality but the rear sags and wrinkled windows were not impressive. even the sales guy was like - "yeah that's just how it is with the soft tops".

4) The rear seats, if you want to ride around sitting straight up for hours then you'll love them, we did not. The seat backs need a little more rearward angle to them or the ability to be reclined even if it's minimal. Also, while it's common knowledge that they don't fold flat, the transition to the rear cargo area with the seats in the down position is horrible.

5) The electronics in general, absolutely hated them! Way too many nannies, reminders, warnings, chimes, bells, etc.

Overall, it was cool but we both agreed it wasn't $55k cool. Give me a stripped down, metal truck with a manual shifting transfer case, lockout hubs and a wash out interior for running around the back roads and Sierras for around $30k and I'd be more than happy. It seemed like the Bronco was trying to be many different things at once and not doing any of them particularly well. It wanted to be upscale with the leather roast interior and soft touch buttons and controls but then clashed with all the hard, rugged plastic surfaces. Bottom line - for us - we wouldn't be able to justify the Bronco as a daily driver and would simply be a toy. With that being said, we will most likely changing our BadSquatch, 2.7, mid, HT to a Base, 2.7, HT and using the $20k savings to do the mods we find most useful (lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc).

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I 100% agree with your opinion on the dash. I said the exact same thing when I drove one and it was awkward to see the speedometer because of the straight angle they put it at. The employee who designed that had to be no taller than 4 foot to see that as a good angle lol

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP - Sounds like we were checking out a mannequin at Geweke Ford in Yuba City at exactly the same time yesterday. The one at Geweke is Antimatter Blue, OBX, 4-door, soft top, 2.7 with roast interior. The wife and I had received a few text messages that they had one and to come check it out. Well we did...we didn't have any hard expectations but were definitely curious to see for ourselves what all the hype was about. After seeing it, sitting in it and dissecting it, we came away with a similar 'meh' feeling. The wife absolutely loved the color and the size of the Bronco, she drives a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited currently, and the interior size seemed to be very similar.

Now, a couple of things that we thought were disappointing.

1) PLASTIC!!! Everything is plastic, yes as are most vehicles now days, but this just seemed like every hard surface inside and out was plastic; and not just trim pieces but huge chunky plastic.
The dash was one huge slab of plastic, the instrument pod was hard to see and seemed out of proportion to the rest of the dash.

2) The cowl cover, again more plastic, this time a huge diving board of plastic which actually looked like an after thought. The hood and fenders flow great until they reach the windshield area where there is massive void filled in with the plastic step stool of a cowl cover.

3) The soft top, 88 degrees outside and you could hardly touch the underside of the soft top for more than a second or two because of the heat transfer through the top. It very heavy weight material and looks quality but the rear sags and wrinkled windows were not impressive. even the sales guy was like - "yeah that's just how it is with the soft tops".

4) The rear seats, if you want to ride around sitting straight up for hours then you'll love them, we did not. The seat backs need a little more rearward angle to them of the ability to be reclined even if it's minimal. Also, while it's common knowledge that they don't fold flat, the transition to the rear cargo area with the seats in the down position is horrible.

5) The electronics in general, absolutely hated them! Way too many nannies, reminders, warnings, chimes, bells, etc.

Overall, it was cool but we both agreed it wasn't $55k cool. Give me a stripped down, metal truck with a manual shifting transfer case, lockout hubs and a wash out interior for running around the back roads and Sierras for around $30k and I'd be more than happy. It seemed like the Bronco was trying to be many different things at once and not doing any of them particularly well. It wanted to be upscale with the leather roast interior and soft touch buttons and controls but then clashed with all the hard, rugged plastic surfaces. Bottom line - for us - we wouldn't be able to justify the Bronco as a daily driver and would simply be a toy. With that being said, we will most likely changing our BadSquatch, 2.7, mid, HT to a Base, 2.7, HT and using the $20k savings to do the mods we find most useful (lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc).
The rear seats do recline. Not much but a few degrees.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The rear seats do recline. Not much but a few degrees.
We thought they did as well but after searching for a lever, a strap anything that would allow them to go back - even with the sales guys assistance, we could find nothing that would allow them to 'recline', dunno maybe because it was a mannequin? Sales guy did say that some of the pre-production units that were shipped out were missing some items - who knows.

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We thought they did as well but after searching for a lever, a strap anything that would allow them to go back - even with the sales guys assistance, we could find nothing that would allow them to 'recline', dunno maybe because it was a mannequin? Sales guy did say that some of the pre-production units that were shipped out were missing some items - who knows.
the same lever to fold them forward leans them back.
Ford Bronco Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries. image

Sponsored
OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

What dealer had this mannequin?? I’m down in Vacaville and have been dying to get my hands on one! Thank you in advance!
Roseville Ford. I would be surprised if a Vacaville dealer didn't have a demo or soon will. I'm finding most dealers don't seem to let you know but then again I don't have my reservation at any of these because they're a ripoff so maybe that's why they're not calling :)

1IH

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe MaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The dash overhang was to accommodate the switches. I don’t mind it but I sit with my seat very low and I’m on the shorter than tall height chart also.

As for the dash “feel” the top panel is as hollow as a politicians campaign promise and it drives me a bit nuts. Has a great flat paint feel to it but don’t tap on it unless you want to feel like you paid more than you should have.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm not one to really question people's butt dynamics but as a fellow mazda owner I wouldn't say the the na 2.5 in the mazda puts anyone in the seat. Hell I have the turbo 2.5 in my 6 and while it scoots it plenty well it doesn't put you in the seat either.
Not really sure what to say, but mine does. Now it's a Mazda 3 so it's lighter than the 6. i dunno.

But if I'm going say 30-45, in sports mode, tap that paddle shifter to drop it a gear and then get on it... It puts you back.

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are going to be A LOT of people feeling this way.
it’s not so much that it won’t be a good vehicle.
There are just soooooo many people putting it on a pedestal.
It’s just a car.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the same lever to fold them forward leans them back.
image.jpg
*Noted. Thanks! The one we looked at didn’t have an icon on the lever, just plain black.
Sponsored