Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

Lava

Big Bend
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

... If I think of anything else I'll update.
😳 I do not agree I test drove a two door and it was amazing . Drove exactly like I imagined it would, so I guess it’s your prospective, I was so happy how smooth it drove and the noise level was low . I did not notice blind spots either
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry, I just can't take anyone serious when they say their Miata throws them back into the seats. Lmao
You would be amazed at how your perception changes when that Miata has 325 RWHP and over 300 ft/lbs of torque at 15 PSI while weighing 2200 lbs. That was my dyno results on my '99 Miata (which was way faster than my Ferrari). In fact, in 3rd gear at 70 MPH (5000 RPM), I could light up the rear tires on the freeway. It most certainly put you back in the seat. I was severely traction limited in the 1/4 mile (running mid 12's) but trapping at 117 MPH. Many an unhappy Z06 owner smoked me off the line thinking they won only to have the Miata pull the second 1/8th mile like a freight train and clip them right before the end of 1/4 mile.

That was done using a mildly prepared 1.8 liter 99 10AE Miata (pistons, rods) otherwise stock motor. Intercooled T-3/T-4 turbo @15 PSI. 93 octane pump gas. TEC-III engine management. 720cc/min injectors. 6 speed stock transmission with an Australian B2000 rear gear set - 3.606:1 (instead of the stock 4.30:1 which was useless with that much power) and stock Torsen differential.

Last edited:

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not really sure what to say, but mine does. Now it's a Mazda 3 so it's lighter than the 6. i dunno.

But if I'm going say 30-45, in sports mode, tap that paddle shifter to drop it a gear and then get on it... It puts you back.
I cant tell you what you feel or don't feel lol. If you feel like it ants you in the seat great. When I test drove the 3 the 2.5 was just fine but it didn't do much for me so I went up to the 6 with the turbo

Sport mode does make a hell of a difference tho

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You would be amazed at how your perception changes when that Miata has 325 RWHP and over 300 ft/lbs of torque at 15 PSI while weighing 2200 lbs. That was my dyno results on my '99 Miata (which was way faster than my Ferrari). In fact, in 3rd gear at 70 MPH (5000 RPM), I could light up the rear tires on the freeway. It most certainly put you back in the seat. I was severely traction limited in the 1/4 mile (running mid 12's) but trapping at 117 MPH. Many an unhappy Z06 owner smoked me off the line thinking they won only to have the Miata pull the second 1/8th mile like a freight train and clip them right before the end of 1/4 mile.

That was done using a mildly prepared 1.8 liter 99 10AE Miata (pistons, rods) otherwise stock motor. Intercooled T-3/T-4 turbo @15 PSI. 93 octane pump gas. TEC-III engine management. 720cc/min injectors. 6 speed stock transmission with an Australian B2000 rear gear set - 3.606:1 (instead of the stock 4.30:1 which was useless with that much power) and stock Torsen differential.
15 Lbs of boost...?! Well duh!
Thanks for the write up... that I stopped reading at "you'd be amazed"...
Lol. Really? How is this relevant at all to this OP?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
15 Lbs of boost...?! Well duh!
Thanks for the write up... that I stopped reading at "you'd be amazed"...
Lol. Really? How is this relevant at all to this OP?
It was relevant to your post. Oh, and I really don't care if you don't like my response. Have a great day. As far as relevant, a Bronco is a forced induction motor, want more power, flash the ecu.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was relevant to your post. Oh, and I really don't care if you don't like my response. Have a great day. As far as relevant, a Bronco is a forced induction motor, want more power, flash the ecu.
The OP doesn't drive a boosted Miata. Maybe quote him your 15Lbs Miata response.
I understand how weight is a significant factor in the "seat of the pants" driving experience...
So a 2 door Bronco is over twice the weight of a Miata... But the Miata has 151 ft/lbs of torque. The 2.7L has 415!
I think the OP's seat of the pants is broken.

bronc'o

Wildtrak
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon, 2020 Defender FE, 2022 Bronco WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Any Jeep owners that have experience with the bronco’s sound system? Curious how they compare being both vehicle lose the speakers in the door concept...
I have a '21 Gladiator Rubicon with the Alpine upgraded stereo- although not the best I've ever heard, it's pretty good considering the lack of door speakers- it has two upper dash speakers, two lower dash speakers, two left side soundbar speakers, two right side soundbar speakers, plus a subwoofer.

On contrast, I was able to check out a Bronco Badlands a couple of months ago. It had the B&O sound system and it was ok, although not as good as Jeep's, if I'm going to be honest. Primary reason is the speakers on the bronco are located further toward the rear roll-bar of the vehicle, while in the Gladiator they are built into the mid-section roll-bar.

Regardless... can't wait to get my Bronco WT and make it my own.

Hope this helps.

VicDamone

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hmm. So does anyone know how good the JBL Soundbar is that you can add for a little extra kick?

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hmm. So does anyone know how good the JBL Soundbar is that you can add for a little extra kick?
I thought the sound bar was for accessory use, like take it to your campsite. Not hooked up to the stereo of the car

Sponsored

Funksurfsoul

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just spent a week driving a 2015 mustang with the 2.3 around Ontario. wasn’t manual and obviously on a different vehicle and weight ratio with smaller tires, but there was no shortage of power IMO. I’ll be sticking with the 2.3 for my 2 door and won’t regret it.

Lou-Q

Wildtrak
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90,11,19 F250 15 mustang Gt 50th ann. 2020 gt 500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And here I was buying a Bronco because I needed speed off the line.
My dealer called me Friday and invited me to an unveiling of their first Bronco on Saturday.
And also told me I could have it for 72 hours.
I went, and it was a Outer Banks black 4 door with soft top and 2.7.
I will be picking it up on Tuesday for 3 days.
I will chime in with pictures on our farm and woods.
Lou Cyber Orange 2.7, 2 door Wildtrak

BabyDoc1012

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra, 2019 Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have read a few complaints about the speakers already. I am assuming you’ve never driven a wrangler then. When you take the front panels or whole top off the speakers are kind of useless anyway. If audio is an important feature to you, I highly recommend test driving a wrangler with panels on and panels off to get a reference.
Sponsored