Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I daily drove an 03 Cobra for three years, and that pretty much ruined most cars for me. Even my 2015 Mustang GT didn't compare to a roots supercharged V8 that was tuned. I suspect there's a lot going on with the wastegates on the turbos, because squeezing everything out of turbos doesn't usually translate to a predictable power application for most drivers. If you're not used to the rubber band type effect of turbos when they spool they can put you in the ditch or worse. Having a predictable naturally aspirated engine goes a long way towards control and not upsetting the suspension when you're near the limits of traction.

And then there's warranty concerns like I mentioned before. Torque management keeps drivers from breaking stuff. Throttle by wire, direct injection, coil on plug ignition, and variable valve timing all make it pretty easy to neuter the torque curve on an engine these days.
Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#1 100% that is the first thing I noticed. Its like facing down. Very odd position.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I daily drove an 03 Cobra for three years, and that pretty much ruined most cars for me. Even my 2015 Mustang GT didn't compare to a roots supercharged V8 that was tuned. I suspect there's a lot going on with the wastegates on the turbos, because squeezing everything out of turbos doesn't usually translate to a predictable power application for most drivers. If you're not used to the rubber band type effect of turbos when they spool they can put you in the ditch or worse. Having a predictable naturally aspirated engine goes a long way towards control and not upsetting the suspension when you're near the limits of traction.

And then there's warranty concerns like I mentioned before. Torque management keeps drivers from breaking stuff. Throttle by wire, direct injection, coil on plug ignition, and variable valve timing all make it pretty easy to neuter the torque curve on an engine these days.
Another thing to remember is newer cars are going to feel slower especially compared to older cars. Like your example of the mustang, same for me.

I had an 04 GT, 4.10s, exhaust, CAI, tuned, under drive pullies. It felt so much faster than my 07 Mustang GT did....my 07 was over a half second faster in the 1/4.

Xploit

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Be prepared. The Defender 90 looks cool on the outside, but with that whimpy dash shifter feels strange - like not like an off-road vehicle at all / maybe an upscale version of a London cab. I does not have the purpose built feel at all.

OK so I drove the Defender 90. It is quite different than the Bronco. The Defender is an extremely capable vehicle that is also posh. I definitely loved the interior feels and views. Will it do what a bronco will do? I don't think so. The Bronco is more purpose built. I think if off roading was something I did regularly, I might feel differently, but the fact is that this thing was always going to be my daily and needed to keep me comfortable through Chicago winters. I also probably would have liked the Bronco more if it was smaller. If they could/would have made this in the size of the original, I know I would of been more into it, but the view from the drivers seat looked like I was driving an aircraft carrier. Also, not to take a crap on it even more, but that shifter in the AUTOMATIC , looks like a dong and balls. Yeah I said it, try to unsee it.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Out of All the reviews online that I have seen,this is the first one to complain about the power....Take that for what it's worth....
Again, my review was simply that the 2.7 was not as rambunctious as one would have thought BUT it is the 2.3 with Sasquatch that was the Red flag.

Honestly, I don't care... Actually I take that back ... I do care because the more people that stick with the 2.3 the chances increase of me getting my 2.7 due to commodity constraints.

But there are people on this board that have haven't even gotten to see a Bronco in person let alone drive one. So I wanted to share my thoughts there have been several other folks on here that agreed with my assessment.

now if folks are coming from older vehicles (or jeeps) that never really had much umph...the yeah I can see them being impressed.

i only wish a Tune was possible to truly wake up the Engine, but I live in Cali, need I say more.

Sponsored

Dave's Minion

First Name
Johnny Damper
Threads
Reaction score
2620 E. University Ave. Des Moines, IA 50317
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Again, my review was simply that the 2.7 was not as rambunctious as one would have thought BUT it is the 2.3 with Sasquatch that was the Red flag.

Honestly, I don't care... Actually I take that back ... I do care because the more people that stick with the 2.3 the chances increase of me getting my 2.7 due to commodity constraints.

But there are people on this board that have haven't even gotten to see a Bronco in person let alone drive one. So I wanted to share my thoughts there have been several other folks on here that agreed with my assessment.

now if folks are coming from older vehicles (or jeeps) that never really had much umph...the yeah I can see them being impressed.

i only wish a Tune was possible to truly wake up the Engine, but I live in Cali, need I say more.
Just check this out. Pray that Ford Performance makes one for the bronco. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-REB

50 state legal, carb approved. Have one on the Ranger in Cali, dealer installed.

Lou-Q

Wildtrak
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90,11,19 F250 15 mustang Gt 50th ann. 2020 gt 500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just returned an Outer Banks 4 door soft top with the 2.7 and B & O stereo.
I'm a rocker and everyone thought the sounds with the top down were great. As far as power it seemed ok. I had it for three days and drove it over 400 miles.
It performed very well out in our fields, I even got about three feet of air with a very smooth landing. My wife has 2 14" rods in her back and she found it very comfortable.
This one didn't have the 35" wheels like ours will.
Now that I had a chance to drive one for three days I'm chomping at the bit to get ours.
We've had a Vin# since April 15th and now have a new build week of 8/23.
Can't wait!!!!
Lou Cyber orange 2.7, 2 door Wildtrak.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just returned an Outer Banks 4 door soft top with the 2.7 and B & O stereo.
I'm a rocker and everyone thought the sounds with the top down were great. As far as power it seemed ok. I had it for three days and drove it over 400 miles.
It performed very well out in our fields, I even got about three feet of air with a very smooth landing. My wife has 2 14" rods in her back and she found it very comfortable.
This one didn't have the 35" wheels like ours will.
Now that I had a chance to drive one for three days I'm chomping at the bit to get ours.
We've had a Vin# since April 15th and now have a new build week of 8/23.
Can't wait!!!!
Lou Cyber orange 2.7, 2 door Wildtrak.
You wife has rods in her back and you are catching air? Do you not like her? šŸ˜

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I only wish a Tune was possible to truly wake up the Engine, but I live in Cali, need I say more.
So what you are saying is that you need a drone strike called in on CARB headquarters???

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what you are saying is that you need a drone strike called in on CARB headquarters???
Only if it's very precise, I work near that building :)

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only if it's very precise, I work near that building :)
Well considering that the circular error of probability would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 meters using the correct platform, you would probably be ok if something relatively modern... You should be ok. :p

Lou-Q

Wildtrak
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90,11,19 F250 15 mustang Gt 50th ann. 2020 gt 500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You wife has rods in her back and you are catching air? Do you not like her? šŸ˜
I do like my wife a lot, she has been putting up with me for 41 years.
She was not in the Bronco at that time.
But she was in our hay field and she thought it rode exceptionally smooth. Can't wait to get ours.
Lou

CZYHORSVA

Black Diamond
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's funny because just a few hours ago I test drove a WT SAS 2.7L & I was floored by the get up & go it had. Last fall I tested a 2.3L lifted ranger & was satisfied with the output. I guess to each their own..
Thats probably because your other car isnā€™t a Mazda. No offense to the OP, but when I read a lot of these comparisons/complaints they arenā€™t apples to oranges. Personally I could care less how my Bronco takes off from a stoplight, Iā€™m more worried about it climbing that hill that everyone will say I shouldnā€™t.;)

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I test drove this exact same Wildtrack today and I was not disappointed with the 2.7 at all. There was no turbolag from a stop when in Sport mode. The turbolag was definitely noticeable in Normal and Eco modes. That being said I also drove the 2.3 MT Badlands right after it and while I could tell that the 2.7 had more torque the 2.3 with the manual was actually more fun to drive and did not feel underpowered. The only reason I am sticking with 2.7 is because of the port injection and compacted graphite block. If I don't get a build date in the next two weeks I may change to the 2.3.
Sponsored