Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi

Can someone post pics of a kayak on top of a 4 door 2022 bronco . I'm supposedly getting mine this months and I haven't seen a single pic anywhere. My bronco comes with the roof rack , will that suffice to put a kayak on top or do I need a J racket of whatever it's called ? Will a Thule one work ? Thanks
Sponsored

Desert_6G

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford has a kayak specific carrier as an accessories that is made by Thule and another one made by Yakima.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With or without the roof: ))

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine is two door but has the same rack as the 4d. I carry a tandem keel over so I used the accessory yakima canoe carrier, but it would not be required
Ford Bronco Kayak roof rack bronco 2022 20220310_170035
Ford Bronco Kayak roof rack bronco 2022 20220220_145642

OP
OP
Osky305

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With or without the roof: ))
Both . Prefer with hard top since the roof rack can only be on with the hard top ... Right ??? Lol I don't since I don't have my bronco so I can't exactly figure it out

Sponsored
OP
OP
Osky305

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Mine is two door but has the same rack as the 4d. I carry a tandem keel over so I used the accessory yakima canoe carrier, but it would not be required
Wait I only see the roof rack which as you mentioned is the same as the 4 door. So you don't have one of those j rackets or l rackets to hold the kayak. You just flip the kayak upside down and tie it to the cross bar right ? Have you seen the Thule kayak carrier thing , the one in which you can put two kayaks on the top . Also is it true that the hard tops for 2021 broncos couldnt have a roof rack because of production and weight issues ? Mine is 2022 so it's more out of curiosity

OP
OP
Osky305

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Also beautiful bronco

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wait I only see the roof rack which as you mentioned is the same as the 4 door. So you don't have one of those j rackets or l rackets to hold the kayak. You just flip the kayak upside down and tie it to the cross bar right ? Have you seen the Thule kayak carrier thing , the one in which you can put two kayaks on the top . Also is it true that the hard tops for 2021 broncos couldnt have a roof rack because of production and weight issues ? Mine is 2022 so it's more out of curiosity
Right, it's called hauling keel over, top down. I use the yakima canoe mounts which are just 4 padded angles under the gun Wales. You really wouldn't need them but they help with side to side movement. J brackets would be nice hauling two singles. The flat gun Wales on a tandem or fishing kayak will rest nicely on the factory rack or yakims brackets. :) phone won't let me type gunwales

OP
OP
Osky305

Osky305

Wildtrak
First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Right, it's called hauling keel over, top down. I use the yakima canoe mounts which are just 4 padded angles under the gun Wales. You really wouldn't need them but they help with side to side movement. J brackets would be nice hauling two singles. The flat gun Wales on a tandem or fishing kayak will rest nicely on the factory rack or yakims brackets. :) phone won't let me type gunwales
Is it hard to put the kayak above your bronco. I never had to put a kayak above a car or I mean above it's roof because I would just put my kayak on the flatbed of my truck and close the tailgate

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it hard to put the kayak above your bronco. I never had to put a kayak above a car or I mean above it's roof because I would just put my kayak on the flatbed of my truck and close the tailgate
Depends on the kayak.
I've had monsters weighing in at around 100 lbs empty, and lightweight ones I can lift with one hand and chuck up there easily.
I carried two on top of my Expedition, roughly the same height as the Bronco, just a bit shorter.
Both were quality sit-on-tops weighing in at between 85 and 100lbs each.
2 people can do it, but you have to work in tandem while lifting and flipping.
The reason I know this is because the sunroof became non-operational for years after a friend dropped his end on top of it and busted the slide/plastic gears in the mechanism, and dented the roof.

I used the J- racks off Amazon and they worked very well.

Single Yak also takes 2 people to prevent damage to the vehicle or the Yak, and could be tied down to the rack itself.

Bronco-specific advice?
I have none.
4dr Soft top here, still figuring out the best way vs hauling my kayak trailer every time we go.

Sponsored

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been able to put a 12 foot, 60lb kayak on top of an Xterra alone by using these to avoid scratching.
https://www.amazon.com/Thule-854-Water-Carrier-Accessory/dp/B001PQQGFG
https://www.amazon.com/Malone-SeaWi...prefix=malone,sporting,100&sr=1-10&th=1&psc=1

I have a soft top Bronco and added the SMS exposed racks yesterday. I will find out today when I test out the SMS exposed rack kayak holders if i can still get the kayak on by myself and will only be able to use when the top if down. Luckily I live about a minute from a lake.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As broadicustomworks said, flipping is the hardest. Mine weighs about 80 lbs. , my wife and I usually do it but I have done it myself. Approach from the rear, flip (or lay kayak on the ground inverted if by yourself) lift front, rest on rear of the roof, move to back and slide forward until on rear crossbar, continue sliding until on front crossbar. You have to slide on MIC top until you reach the crossbar. This may scratch the MIC or the yak, but they're made to use right? Tie off at cross bars, spare tire and trail sites. The Yakima brackets come with cam buckle straps, but I prefer rope.

Kimberley

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been able to put a 12 foot, 60lb kayak on top of an Xterra alone by using these to avoid scratching.
https://www.amazon.com/Thule-854-Water-Carrier-Accessory/dp/B001PQQGFG
https://www.amazon.com/Malone-SeaWing-Stinger-Universal-Carrier/dp/B001V88ZQQ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2BHVD8TI0F6AP&keywords=malone+kayak+rack&qid=1652093751&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=malone,sporting,100&sr=1-10&th=1&psc=1

I have a soft top Bronco and added the SMS exposed racks yesterday. I will find out today when I test out the SMS exposed rack kayak holders if i can still get the kayak on by myself and will only be able to use when the top if down. Luckily I live about a minute from a lake.
11 ft 42lb kayak got it on with the soft top myself though did have to use the spare tire to lean, would be simple to do myself in a hard top the way I did in my Xterra even with my 12ft 60lb kayak.
Ford Bronco Kayak roof rack bronco 2022 1652128197347

Bryanm

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco big bend/2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi

Can someone post pics of a kayak on top of a 4 door 2022 bronco . I'm supposedly getting mine this months and I haven't seen a single pic anywhere. My bronco comes with the roof rack , will that suffice to put a kayak on top or do I need a J racket of whatever it's called ? Will a Thule one work ? Thanks
20220918_131710.jpg