First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco OBX Sas, '05 Mustang GT Conv, 2 Harleys
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2021 OBX 4-Door. Can't find any threads on this.

Anyone else had their Keyless Entry (not the number pad, but by touching the door handle) stop working at the tailgate? Was working fine until a week or two ago. Still works at the driver's door. Can't find specific settings for it in the manual (below). My tech brain makes me suspect an OTA software update gone bad. Anyone have a fix? Trying to avoid needing a dealership service appointment.

Ford Bronco Keyless Entry (by touching door handle) just stopped working on tailgate 1670272269745
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Did you check fuses?

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you check fuses?
I glanced at the fuse listings and nothing jumped out at me as a fuse for that purpose, but I'll give it another look. Thanks.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you check fuses?
Closest I see are a Driver Door Module and a Passenger Door Module fuse. Guess I'm pulling fuses one by one and/or off to the dealer. 🫤

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is it the lock or unlock or both not working? Different sensors. And does the keyfob unlock and losck it with the doors?

Sponsored
OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Is it the lock or unlock or both not working? Different sensors. And does the keyfob unlock and losck it with the doors?
It's both. Grabbing the handle doesn't unlock it, touching the black button doesn't lock it. If there's a fuse for that, it's not obviously marked.

Just checked the passenger door (which I don't normally use) and it doesn't lock/unlock either. Checked fuse 183 60A Passenger door module and it looks fine.

Yes, the key fob locks and unlocks all doors, including the tailgate.

It's odd that, coincidentally, the Auto Start/Stop seems to have stopped working, too, although I haven't done my due diligence on troubleshooting that. I read in the manual that running the climate control can prevent it from stopping the engine, so I need to take the truck out and shut down all climate control and see what happens. I can't imagine that running the heat now that's it's cold would completely prevent Auto Start/Stop from working when it worked this past summer with the A/C (and its compressor) running.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2021 OBX 4-Door. Can't find any threads on this.

Anyone else had their Keyless Entry (not the number pad, but by touching the door handle) stop working at the tailgate? Was working fine until a week or two ago. Still works at the driver's door. Can't find specific settings for it in the manual (below). My tech brain makes me suspect an OTA software update gone bad. Anyone have a fix? Trying to avoid needing a dealership service appointment.
OK, I think I've narrowed down the problem. I believe that the battery level is too low, causing the truck to cut back on functionality when the engine is off. The display, the dash, and the overhead cabin lights don't come on when I open the door, the passenger door and tailgate don't unlock/lock on touch (driver door does, so a selective decision on the part of the system, I'm guessing), and the screen shows the below message when I turn off the engine and open the door.

The gauge on the dash showed 12.5V with the engine off, but was down to 12.2V a little bit later when I checked. The truck starts just fine, however. Anyone know the minimum battery voltage required to make everything work with the engine off?

Ford Bronco Keyless Entry (by touching door handle) just stopped working on tailgate 20221206_093952

Hippydrome

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender NAS D90, 1995
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
OK, I think I've narrowed down the problem. I believe that the battery level is too low, causing the truck to cut back on functionality when the engine is off. The display, the dash, and the overhead cabin lights don't come on when I open the door, the passenger door and tailgate don't unlock/lock on touch (driver door does, so a selective decision on the part of the system, I'm guessing), and the screen shows the below message when I turn off the engine and open the door.

The gauge on the dash showed 12.5V with the engine off, but was down to 12.2V a little bit later when I checked. The truck starts just fine, however. Anyone know the minimum battery voltage required to make everything work with the engine off?

Ford Bronco Keyless Entry (by touching door handle) just stopped working on tailgate 20221206_093952
I am going through the exact same thing as you are, I think the battery is bad.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am going through the exact same thing as you are, I think the battery is bad.
Maybe a bad batch of batteries, or possibly the features that are active when the truck is not running (keyless entry, etc.) wear the battery down prematurely. I also have a BlackVue dashcam system, but it's set to turn off in parking mode when the battery reaches 12.2V. That shouldn't stress a battery.

When these features were not working I measured voltage directly on the battery and got 11.6V, then turned on the accessories (but not the engine) and the battery voltage on the dash said 12.2V. Not sure how accurate the dash voltage reading is.

Anyway, I have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Monday to have the battery tested as a first step.

Hippydrome

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defender NAS D90, 1995
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Maybe a bad batch of batteries, or possibly the features that are active when the truck is not running (keyless entry, etc.) wear the battery down prematurely. I also have a BlackVue dashcam system, but it's set to turn off in parking mode when the battery reaches 12.2V. That shouldn't stress a battery.

Anyway, I have an appointment to take it to the dealer on Monday to have the battery tested as a first step.
I too have a BlackVue dash cam and set to the same 12.2V auto shut off. Has been working fine for over a year with no batterie problems. Maybe BlackVue change something in the software. I am disconnecting my to see if the battery problem goes away after I have my battery checked at the local auto store.

Cheers,

HD

Sponsored
OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I too have a BlackVue dash cam and set to the same 12.2V auto shut off. Has been working fine for over a year with no batterie problems. Maybe BlackVue change something in the software. I am disconnecting my to see if the battery problem goes away after I have my battery checked at the local auto store.

Cheers,

HD
You should be able to just turn off Parking Mode in the settings so that you still get recordings while driving.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Cheers,

HD
And by the way, batteries are covered under the 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty, so don't buy a new one.

OP
OP
tjnoffy

tjnoffy

Outer Banks
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was the battery. Took it to the dealer today and they tested it and replaced it under warranty.

Jace 21583

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Even though this thread is pretty much dead i just had this issue after my truck sat at ford for 2 months. Driver door handle would unlock and lock with passive key system, passenger and swing gate would not, as well as that same sync message of turning off to save battery. Several other things were happening, aux switches working when car off etc.......i pulled the neg batt terminal and trickle charged my batt overnight and low and behold when i reconnected it EVERYTHING WENT BACK TO WORKING AS SHOULD :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
ill come back and update if the gremlins come back
Sponsored